Making my own exhaust... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How should I go about this?
Delete center muffler, add sport muffler 12 85.71%
Stock center muffler, delete rear muffler 1 7.14%
Stock center muffler, add sort rear muffler 0 0%
Other: explained below 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Making my own exhaust...

I want to make my own exhaust. I'll have a shop bend the pipe and all that, but I want to know what to do. I want a deeper sound, but nothing loud enough to really be noticeable inside the car with the windows up.

I'm thinking of three options.
1. Center muffler delete with sport rear muffler
2. Stock center muffler with sport rear muffler
3. Stock center muffler with no rear muffler

If I delete the center muffler it will be replaced with 2.5 inch straight pipe. What would you do?

My rear muffler is about to bite the dust and the rest looks kind of crappy.

Also, what brand mufflers give the best sound? I'm thinking Thrush because they're cheap and from what I've seen/heard they sound nice.

The car is a 2003 9-5 3.0t V6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-5 Arc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm in the same boat as you
with my stock exhaust I deleted the mid muffler and I thought it sounded good a lot of rumble on downshifts
then I got a full 3" with two mufflers and it's a deep tone but not loud and no rumble

I think I'll end up going with just a rear muffler and delete the center
I believe no rear will make it very loud
I'll be sticking around here for the MS paint wieners.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

I'm leaning that way as well. With a Thrush muffler, it can be done for around $100, which I like.

I don't want to make it too loud because this car is my daily. I have my Mustang to be really loud, and it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-5 Arc

Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #4

Do the center muffler delete and put a sport muffler in the back. When I was younger and dumber I had a Scirocco 16v that I turned into a nearly unbearable noise maker, I replaced the center muffler with a Cherry Bomb, and deleted the rear muffler. Too damn loud!! The car was obnoxious and at wide open throttle could be herd from very very far away.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #5

With my other NG900 I deleted the cat, left the center resonator, and added a sport muffler to the rear and got a great sound. I got quite a few compliments from tuners and muscle guys. It had a good node at WOT and was quiet enough at idle.

Keep in mind the center muffler doesn't do much on my car but if I remember right the 9-5's have a real, large, and fat muffler in the center so I'd ditch that asap and just have the rear muffler. That's usually the best bet.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

All you should do is replace the mid with a straight pipe and throw on a magnaflow muffler. I wouldn't replace the whole exhaust unless you are upgrading to a 3" system, there's no real need for it, unless you want the car to look perfect or something.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breau View Post
All you should do is replace the mid with a straight pipe and throw on a magnaflow muffler. I wouldn't replace the whole exhaust unless you are upgrading to a 3" system, there's no real need for it, unless you want the car to look perfect or something.
Yeah, I'm just doing a cat-back, not a full system.

So, sounds like I'm deleting the center muffler, going 2.5" cat-back to a Magnaflow (?) muffler.

Now, which Magnaflow?

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

5x8 oval I think. The magnaflow's should all be straight through design so you don't have to worry about that. I forget if you need offset/center but center/center should be fine.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #9

Where can you buy them cheapest? I'm seeing $100-200 on ebay.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Not really sure because I would just have an exhaust shop buy it for me, but I think they go for around $150 or so.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #11

I had really good luck with a 3'' Borla ProXS. center/offset I think. Very clean sounding with nice burbles on deceleration.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to noxben Send a message via Yahoo to noxben
I just replaced my stock exhaust, last week, with a magnaflow from the cat back. I added the smallest center rez i could and I think it may be too quiet. The shop buy recommended that I could come back and take out the rear cat. He said it would add a nice sound but without so many off throttle burping (like without a rez).
In regards to the rear cat. does anyone know if it is monitored and if i will have any problems, i.e. cel's?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #13

before I gave my 9-5 to my bro, the rear muffler rusted and I welded in straight pipe but kept the center resonator. Its not loud at all but has a low grumble at idle you cant even hear it with the windows up. and a real deep tone when you go WOT.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #14

What do you guys think about a dual exhaust? I might be able to get this done VERY cheaply....

2003 9-5 Arc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in