9-5 suspension upgrade - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

9-5 suspension upgrade

has any one heard of ultra racing? they offer some suspension upgrades for the 9-5 it looks descent and the website seems legit. The parts are at a descent price so why not. I just ordered the strut tower brace Ill give it a shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saab%209-5.jpg (37.6 KB, 73 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 saab 9-5 JZW STAGE 5
2001viggen 5 door
2000 saab 9-3 vert jzw stage 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
TSLMember

I just got mine, looks nice, decent quality. Will install after I replace my trans this weekend. How are those side skirts working out for you?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

awsome I was gonna email thanks again they were in great shape

2001viggen 5 door
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
not sure how much those are going to do,,

the strut towers in a 9-5 are not a big flex point,, look at how they are already supported stock with the firewall

dont aeros use a 19mm rear ARB stock? the ultra racing on is only 1mm larger... not a big gain SAS sells a full front and rear sway bar kit,, probably a better choice

the front member brace could be worth something though....

Oh yea, they didnt list cost on there website? how much were any of it?

Last edited by mike d; 02-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Elder

The front lower bar was part of a group buy on SC a few years ago, many broke fro porr quality welds Made teh most differnce in Pre-02 hub upgrade cars ( like the hubs do in the newer cars. Transfored mine the 00 ( never broke but the welds were bad and getting worse) but felt nothing in the 03 and they hang low and scrpae on stuff
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #6

I was thinking about getting the front lower bar until I read something on Saabcentral that changed my mind. The thread was about poly subframe bushings and the OP said that with the stiff bushings, the effect was similar to fitting a brace. I'm pretty impressed so far, though I've never been in a 9-5 with a real solid feeling chassis.

Does anyone have the strut bar?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
dont aeros use a 19mm rear ARB stock? the ultra racing on is only 1mm larger... not a big gain SAS sells a full front and rear sway bar kit,, probably a better choice
Actually it's a 17mm rear bar.

Having explored a lot of the suspension upgrades I'll tell you all what works and what doesn't.

1. Subframe brace - Works, and works great, but mine broke. So it doesn't work forever.
2. Aftermarket Springs - Don't work, most of them are lowering springs and are actually softer than Aero springs. If you want an upgrade, a SAAB roadholding kit is a better deal. I had Eibach springs, they were low, that's about it.
3. Aftermarket Shocks - Only replace your shocks if the stock ones are buggered, which admittedly happens often. Bilstein HDs will get the job done when the stocks die. Konis also work well from what others have said. Bilstein Sports are probably overkill, at least they were for me. Maybe if you could get some springs with real spring rates, but no one make em as far as I know.
4. SAS sways - After trying several things, I now have a stock aero suspension with SAS sways. It works the best of anything by far and away. Installation is a chore but it's really the only thing that works for a 9-5.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
MikeD didn't you have a source for roadholding kits/stock aero suspension?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i did, but i havent checked since saab went bust.

i installed bilstien HDs and eibach springs on my wagon prior to selling it, and compared to 250k miles LPT suspension, the upgrade was incredible.

a new, stock aero suspencion is a great thing however most cars list shocks as a 70k mile part, IE so they wear out every 70k miles odds are any 9-5 on this forums is over or near that mark.

the only difference between a bilstien sport, and bilstien HD is that a sport is specifically built for lowering springs. that way the shock wont be overcompressed when sitting still. From what ive been told by multiple people in the industrie, all rates/rebounds/compression are the same hd to sport.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
SAABeginner

SOO I like a soft smooth ride which shocks and springs would be good for that? I like good handling but I don't want to compromise my ride quality eather on my 2003 9-5 sedan.

Last edited by Fast9-5; 03-10-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to brewtide
Posting in this thread, looking for suggestions on a 2000 9-5 aero wagon:

My bilstein sports (I've run em in a 9-3 on vig springs, and LOVED them...) are arriving today, so now i'm in phase 2: What to order for springs?

My aero springs have almost 200k on them, and I'd much like at least 'newer' Aero springs.

I have been looking at the other spring options; 1/2" or so lower would be ideal, but I'm not sure which company I should be shooting for. Stiffer/Lower is the most ideal -- If , truly, the aero springs are stiffer than any of the lowering/aftermarket products, I will probably try to source a 'less than ancient' set of aero springs and put those in. I would *like* a little drop, just to change the stance a bit, but I'd rather have the handling / stiffness be priority #1.

Suggestions?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
you need to make sure you find wagon specific springs, otherwise you will sag badly in the back. I think B&G is the only one I've heard making springs for the wagon, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #13

Appreciate that. I wrote to GS asking about their eibach kit that says '9-5 all', but I was hesitant.

I'll search more...

=)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #14

ordered Eibach part number : 7808.140 from stillen. Says they are for the wagon; A different part number than the sedan.

Fingers crossed!
(bilsteins are in the kitchen; Now onto eeuro for more money spending. Sigh)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #15

yeah I just got my eibach springs in im gonna try that kit out and do polly mounts, I still cant belive how good this thing handels stock.

2001viggen 5 door
sold parted out
1972 nova 396 BB

2008 LINCOLN MKX ELITE

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtide View Post
ordered Eibach part number : 7808.140 from stillen. Says they are for the wagon; A different part number than the sedan.

Fingers crossed!
(bilsteins are in the kitchen; Now onto eeuro for more money spending. Sigh)
So, apparently STILLEN cancelled my order because that kit is NO LONGER MADE...! HELP wagon owners ... What springs would/do you run? I'd like stiffer and a bit lower than the current (180k... ) AERO springs...

Matching with bilstein shocks -- so, I'm not sure I can use GS's spacer kits that they made... Perhaps I'll just have to make my own, somehow, and order SEDAN springs?

Suggestions?

-Benjamin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in