Grocery Getter Build Thread - SLAAB - Page 19 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #361
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
^you don't say? Well we do have two 9-5 wagons in the house, so all the new parts will get used up one way or another. My lady likes to do/spend as little as possible on her car (don't they all?), so she can make do with my leftovers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #362
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What is the sport chassis kit?

That coolant bottle was disgusto!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #363
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
^you don't say? Well we do have two 9-5 wagons in the house, so all the new parts will get used up one way or another. My lady likes to do/spend as little as possible on her car (don't they all?), so she can make do with my leftovers.

Yeah- what were in the car were pretty bad, and I had to drive the family from MD-MA-MD, and I wanted to refresh the back. The price was good, and eeuro is overnight for me, so I got the stockers. They're so soft, you can compress them with pretty minimal effort. Even if you use the OE fronts, the rears leave a LOT to be desired.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #364
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
What is the sport chassis kit?

That coolant bottle was disgusto!
Sport Chassis kit is struts, rear shock kit, all 4 coils, F+R sway bars w/ bushings, and some misc. hardware items. I could not find stock new coils for an 06+ auto trans Aero wagon, and even if I could they seem to run around $100/each... so I'd be almost halfway to the cost of the entire kit just in a pair of coil springs. The sport chassis kit I ordered is listed as for an 06+ aero wagon auto, and the p/n on the strut is exactly the same as what's on my car now. My last wagon had Eibach's, which were OK, but I'm not looking to go that low with this wagon.

The coolant bottle was bad! With the bypass valve leak I was getting an occasional "coolant level low" warning, but the bottle was so bad I couldn't even see the level! For the $45 the new one cost, I figured it was a no brainer while I had the system open.

I also cleaned the throttle bottle real quick with some carb clean on a rag as recommended earlier in this thread. It's only been a couple days and maybe 50 miles, but fuel consumption does seem to be improved already. We'll see how it looks once I get through the first full tank of fuel.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM   #365

Does someone sell the chassis kit as a package or did you piece it together? I would imagine that would do a lot for the ride. Probably ball joints and tie rod ends too - it's easy to go crazy!!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 AM   #366
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Looks like a package https://www.esaabparts.com/viewparts...tion=372328411
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #367
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
^Yup, that's it. I ordered 32025660, it showed "Available in Sweden", but now unavailable. Maybe I got the last one? I just got the confirm from esaabparts, they'll let me know when it's on the way!

It is easy to go crazy (and spend way too much money). As I said, I've also got complete new control arms (each loaded arm was cheaper than the price of bushings and ball joints separately), new strut bearings and mounts, new tie rod ends, new subframe bushings, and even new air box mounts! All 4 motor mounts were done back in the fall. Hopefully within the next few weeks every moving suspension component on the front end will be brand new.

Last edited by Cark; 09-19-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #368

Dude that is going to make a huge difference. I'm sure you will be impressed.

Those air box mounts are a joke. I think I have one working one left...
Old 09-23-2018, 04:57 AM   #369
Elder

Replaced the rear and middle subframe bushings yesterday with the PPS poly ones. The job was mostly straightforward as per the video on the eeuro site. Hole saw and recip saw to remove old bushings. I should have done the job at work on the lift, but we have a lot of other stuff in the way so I did it on the floor in my garage at home. Two of the old bushings fell apart before I even touched them with the hole saw! I knew they were bad, but didn't realize they were that bad. I couldn't get the car high enough to fit my cordless recip saw in and cut the rear sleeves, so I did them by hand, not the end of the world. One thing the video failed to mention was the need to unbolt the trans mount and passenger side yoke mount to get the subframe to drop enough. Maybe it's just because my motor mounts are all fairly new? Even with them unbolted, clearance was tight to get the new bushings in. Everything buttoned up and the car feels much much better. Can't wait to get the sport chassis kit in and do the rest of the front end.

Also replaced a washer nozzle that had the bottom blown off of it and was limiting pressure to the rest of the system. Sometimes the little things can make the biggest difference!

Last edited by Cark; 09-23-2018 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:40 PM   #370
Elder

Looks like we'll be picking up ANOTHER 9-5 SC... friend of a friend has an 06 in chili red (auto ) with only 95k miles for cheap. Needs a lil paint on some scuffs on the passenger bumper corners and the center muffler got ripped off by AAA after it slid into a ditch last winter. Car is pretty clean with 1 dog leg just starting to show some flaking. We'll sell her fusion blue '07 which is getting pretty tired and I feel like it's about to need ALOT of work. Her fusion blue was rare, the chili red is even more so!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #371
SAAB Road Master

Red wagons are extremely rare, that's a nice find, especially with low miles like that. Throw some big-bolstered Aero seats in there and you'll be all set!

Don't know if you've ever owned an automatic 9-5, but I think you'll be surprised; it is a real relaxing change of pace from your other MT cars. Not every car trip needs to be an event - sometimes you're tired and you just need to get from A-B. And you'll never be more grateful for that automatic transmission than when you hit stop-and-go traffic in the middle of an 8 hour drive in a fully-loaded wagon, hauling 4 family members and a dog to a vacation destination. Trust me.

If I could only own one car, it'd be a manual, but being able to enjoy both is really nice.
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 09-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #372
Elder

^We've got 2 auto 9-5 wagons in the driveway already between my '08 Aero and my wife's '07. The '08 is my 3rd 9-5 wagon, first non manual.

I'd love to find Aero seats for the new chili red, but the newer seats do not seem to hold up as well as the older ones It has the very light beige interior.

I do have the 85 900 to drive when I really have a hankering for shifting gears!

And oh yeah... the window sticker is funny. It lists the "sentronic automatic transmission" as a $1350 option! Weren't all the autos sentronic from 03 or so on???
Old 09-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #373
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Probably, but I'm guessing auto was an option, and manual was standard equipment.

Which... is kind of refreshing, actually. good on Saab for staying true to the manuals, and not going the way of Toyota/Mercedes/bmw/audi

...yet another reason to be saab that they are no more.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #374
Elder

Still waiting on the sport chassis kit from Sweden, and no response to email/messages sent to esaabparts checking on order status. Got two messages right off when I ordered, one said 2-3 weeks, another said 4 weeks. It was 3 weeks yesterday, so I'll give a few more days before I get too anxious.

The new Chili Red '06 showed up Friday night. I'll probably post about that here vs. starting a whole new thread...

New mid pipe just went in, and turns out it needs an alternator. I'm only showing 11.8v at the battery while running. Will dig around for possible loose connections first, but worst case, I get to do my first alternator ever on a 9-5! Doesn't look like a terrible job, just gotta take my time and maybe break it up over 2-3 days. Other than that the car is ready for a good detailing (lots of small scratches and dings) but from 50' it looks fucking killer! Did I mention it's CHILI RED!??! And I guess I'll give it a good tune up and do some fluids as well.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #375
Elder

I had to do an alternator on the '08 last year. I did it from the top.
It's not bad. There's *just* enough room to wiggle it through, but you'll scratch the paint on the strut tower if you don't wrap a towel around the alternator.

Depending on the condition of the exhaust, it can save you a lot of time and work.

Also- I know you're an OEM kinda guy, but I bought an Advance store brand reman 140A from an '03 Aero, and it bolted right in, and Gave the little bump-up. (I think the original is 110?) with coupons, I think it was like $95. I've got one in both the 08 9-5, and the 95 900. Full disclosure: I'm on the 2nd in the 9-5. The first reman worked for 2 weeks and died, while the new one has worked flawlessly. Same with the 900. It has worked perfectly since day-1.

Also- I sent Matt a screenshot of esaabparts lack of response. He said he msg'd you.
Hopefully, you got your answer.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #376
Elder

^Yes, I plan to do from the top as well. The exhaust fix seems to have worked... so far. Yeah I can get a 140A reman from the local auto parts store. I have a good relationship with them and get deals as we have an account through work, so it will probably be around the $100 mark. The manager said they've had really good luck with them, he did say every once in awhile they have one that's junk, but overall they're very reliable.

Matt @ esaab got back to me last night, said the sport chassis kit he ordered for himself took 5 months!!! I told him that's unacceptable. Maybe time to look for a junkyard set of coils. I need to get my '08 suspension done soon, ski season will be upon us in no time and I'll be balls to the wall at work.

I did get the chili red '06 out for its first drive tonight now that the exhaust is intact. Didn't go far with the bad alternator, but wanted to at least get it down the road and back. Flashing CEL almost right away, code came back P1300, coil #1. Took the DIC out and it was some aftermarket junk, one of the springs fell out of a coil as soon as I took it out of the car. Checked the plugs (they were correct), swapped in a good DIC off the shelf, took it for another lap and all felt pretty good. The car sat for 8 months or so prior to us buying, therefore lots of funny smells and loose brakes. It probably needs subframe bushings, and has an odd steering knock. Anyone else deal with steering knock in these later 9-5's? Our '07 does the same, my '08 has never done it at all, even with blown to shit subframe bushings.

Anyhow, lots to do. I'll keep the updates coming and try to get some photos up soon.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #377
srp
Elder

I had a very minor steering knock in my 07. It was remidied by removing the steering u joint in the fire wall in the cabin and greasing the splines. I more recently had a knock in the rear on certain turns that was bad end links.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #378
Elder

^do tell... what's involved in that? Or it as easy as just climbing down by the pedals and seeing what's up?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #379
srp
Elder

I think I may have gotten the directions from wis, or perhaps there was a tsb for it. Essential post #2 in this thread: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/s.../topics/101955
Old 10-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #380
Elder

Sport Chassis kit shipped from PA today! Should have it no later than Monday (hoping it comes Saturday though).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in