ETS intercooler, do I need a retune? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 05:50 PM  
TSLMember

ETS intercooler, do I need a retune?

I just bought a ETS, early Christmas present for me
Will I have any issues without retuning? Will there be any performance gains? Anybody know how much psi drop there is with the stock intercooler? I am very satisfied with the current power levels, but wouldn't mind lowering intake temperatures a bit. All this talk about weak b235r pistons is making worried. Thanks

2000 9-5 aero
3" downpipe, full exhaust
cobra intake
forge bpv
Open air filter
sqr stage 3-4 tune
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM  
Avid TSL User

I have an ETS intercooler - Serial number 00003 as in the third one produced. Took them forever to deliver. With your stage 3/4 tune you probably were overdue on the intercooler. You will probably get at least an additional 10-15 hp in summer but more importantly you will getter better throttle response as there in less restrictions to changes in system pressure.

9-5 pistons are fine unless you plan to go beyond 310/315hp. Stock pistons go bad due to two reasons -
1: bad air mass meter sending erroneous volume signal to ECU. The ECU doesn't see all the air to doesn't deiver enough fuel & lean out burns the pistons. This can happen at any tune - including level stock. If your 2000 has original AMM meter, it is good insurnance to replace.

2: lack of lubrication from plugged oil pick up screen - check oil pressures & if in doubt, drop the oil pan & clean up any sludge.

Last edited by Dudethe9-5isfast; 12-07-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 PM  
TSLMember

I called them when I ordered, they said they have them in stock, just need to add tabs for mounting the condenser I think. Luckily my amm is not stock, it was replaced by the previous owner (still have the old one). Are you talking 315 whp or bhp? My car was dynoed at 237whp before the tune so... not sure what it is now but probably a good 20 more whp probably pushing 290 bhp. Boost gauge goes to about the middle or tiny bit past middle in the red (stock gauge), so its not super hi boost or anything. I need to check for sludge, I luckily have oil change records from 20k to current 133k every 5k synthetic.

Should upgrade the new pcv system, even though I haven't had any issues with this many miles?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 PM  
Elder

PYC will go evntually but usually you leave well enough alone if the hoses are not all mushy.

my 03 aero has 130K wiht the original and is just now starting to get pressure leaks
Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 AM  
Avid TSL User

315 crank HP or approx 260-270 WHP
Old 12-15-2010, 05:05 PM  
SAABeginner

The stock boost gauge isn't a good reference, apparently it's more of a torque request meter and can be changed with a tech 2. I'd recommend an aftermarket boost gauge install if you've gotten to this stage of modification. It'll let you check what your boost is before and then after you install the intercooler, That way you can know if something isn't sealing correctly.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 PM  
Avid TSL User

Or you could have boost displayed on Open SID

At no cost apart from your tuner & no tacky ricer guages on the A pillar
Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM  
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshkid View Post
I just bought a ETS, early Christmas present for me
Will I have any issues without retuning? No.

Will there be any performance gains? Yes.

Anybody know how much psi drop there is with the stock intercooler? It's not PSI drop, it's heatsoak. You pick up a few more ponies, but the bigger, more fun thing is that your power is more consistent, and will not FADE away at the top of the RPM's. I could feel soak on my stock 2000 9-3 that I used to have, and that was with nothing but a downpipe.

I am very satisfied with the current power levels, but wouldn't mind lowering intake temperatures a bit. All this talk about weak b235r pistons is making worried. Thanks

2000 9-5 aero
3" downpipe, full exhaust
cobra intake
forge bpv
Open air filter

sqr stage 3-4 tune

Get a new tune, my SQR "custom road tune" tune sucked massive ass, caused nothing but problems, was totally inconsistent, and was fixed by getting a T5/T7 suite tune.

The T5/T7 suite also made more, better power. Not to mention I was harassed by SQR nutswingers all the time.

Don't worry about intake temps melting your pistons, that's dumb.

Worry more about how your MAF is reading, and if you have had the PCV updates you need, if you want to avoid melted pistons.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 AM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Don't worry about intake temps melting your pistons, that's dumb.

Worry more about how your MAF is reading, and if you have had the PCV updates you need, if you want to avoid melted pistons.
I had an intake temp problem and it didnt melt my pistons, but it did cause my wrist pins to wear pretty quickly and cause a connecting rod to release the piston. But my intake temps were really high consistantly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in