Spark Plug Talk Your Insight - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Spark Plug Talk Your Insight

So I was looking at Spark Plugs online today and I am amazed at how many new plugs are on the market for the Saab's...I would like some insight on these plugs if anyone has any...they range from...cheap to ouch

NGK Spark Plug Basic 1.95 each

NGK Spark Plug Double Platinum 23.00 each ouch !

This is a massive difference in price...I dont think there is another car part for our cars with such a huge price difference !

My source

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...BMvH0hB8VNk-ag
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

Personally I do not use platinum plugs, I always run NGK Iridium IX plugs. Platinum plugs are very expensive, wear out faster, and are not as reliable in boosted engines as iridium...not to mention iridium produces a more powerful spark than platinum. You hardly see them in OEM applications because they last so much longer than any other plugs on the market...have to keep people coming back to the dealer you know.

I usually can get 40,000 miles on my plugs and they still have some tip left.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Elder

There are only 2 plugs that will work on trionic and they are listed in your manual

BCPR6ES ( use 7 if you are tuned) and the Aero Platinum plugs.

All of the others WILL NOT WORK, they may fit but will not work with the Trionic system as required. ( It uses the plugs for knock detection and the system was only calibrated to work with the plugs listed in the manual)

Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Use the plugs listed in the manual in the heat range specified by the manual.

ie Don't fuck with it. It ain't broke, so don't try to fix it.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #5

Its crazy to think someone would pay 100 dollars for sparkplugs...that is my thing...I use the 4 dollar plugs and they are perfect.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #6

Are you sure that it isn't $23 for a set of four??
Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
TSLMember

Same here. Even in my high horsepower cars I use zfr7f's. Ya they start to suck around 1500 miles but its seven bucks for 4 and i change the oil around that time anyways. (takes me 3 months to put on that many miles and thats pushing it).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snabb SAAB View Post
Are you sure that it isn't $23 for a set of four??
I priced them on google for $11.20 a piece

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg5872 View Post
Same here. Even in my high horsepower cars I use zfr7f's. Ya they start to suck around 1500 miles but its seven bucks for 4 and i change the oil around that time anyways. (takes me 3 months to put on that many miles and thats pushing it).
If you using them on a high power Saab you are destroying your engine. Check Knock Detection and MIFI on your Sid and get the grim story
Old 10-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
SAABeginner

what about the bkr7e-11's? the Vpower plugs? How would that be different than the standards?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
How is changing sparkplugs really going to add horsepower?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
How is changing sparkplugs really going to add horsepower?
It's not, but once again people think they're cleverer than the engineers. If different spark plugs could net you 20 hp, don't you think the factory engineers would have done it?

Here's the facts on the matter. The SAAB Direct Ignition module is a complex and extremely high voltage ignition system. It doesn't matter whether your plug is copper or platinum, it has more than enough energy to jump the gap even when the gap is out of spec wide. It also uses the plug to do ion sensing. This allows the ECU to detect the conditions of knock before it actually happens. The use of stock plugs is imperative to this function. The stock ECU runs as close to knock as it can to extract the most power possible. This is not a system you want to mess with and experiment with different plugs.

The standard model copper plugs are $7-8 for a set of 4, the aero platinum plugs are $45 a set or so. How $8 is too much for plugs I don't know. If you have an aero and you're a cheap bastard who can't cough up $45 every 1-2 years, then just use the standard model copper plugs.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsyke View Post
what about the bkr7e-11's? the Vpower plugs? How would that be different than the standards?
There is a V groove in the electrode that will change the electrical flow pattern. Trionic was engineered to measure ions to determine proper air/fuel ratio and detect knock, at the very limits of knock detection to allow the engine to run at its best and the engineers did not ( as raven points out) care to test every freakin plug you can screw into the dang hole with the proper thread size and reach ( that is all equivalence does in plug matching) with the proper heat range.

so why spend more ( sometimes) or less that can screw it up and make the engine run harmfully lean or expensively rich?

And there have been so many people that I can; remember how many who have come on here ( and other forums) with all sorts of issues that magically go away when we say change the plugs.

There are a few that don;t listen but funny they don;t stay on the forms long..
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #14

Spark plugs are still my first recommendation for a CEL that has no symptoms.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Who said plugs add more power??
They can allow you to tune your ecu for more power...even then we're talking 30+_ psi levels that it makes a dramatic difference, but simply replacing them does jack.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #16

I don't think anyone said spark plugs add more power...the thread is based on spark plug options for the DI saab engines and what if any reason is there to buy the most expensive plugs versus the cheaper plugs...from what I have read online in regards to DI systems for pretty much any engine...the spark capability of the DI is much higher than the engine actually needs and the OE plugs recommended for the engine are more than enough to support the performance of the engine...the only time spark plugs have ever EVER added HP is if the OE plugs in a car did not ignite air and fuel at maximum efficiency...In conclusion...why buy the expensive plugs...?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

Actually you can gain 30 hp from changing plugs.
If you have the wrong plugs in there, you can lose 30 hp due to T7 being conservative when it cannot complete the Knock sensor circuit. Replace it with correct BCPR6ES /7ES & you will get your 30 hp back.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking1975 View Post
I don't think anyone said spark plugs add more power...the thread is based on spark plug options for the DI saab engines and what if any reason is there to buy the most expensive plugs versus the cheaper plugs...from what I have read online in regards to DI systems for pretty much any engine...the spark capability of the DI is much higher than the engine actually needs and the OE plugs recommended for the engine are more than enough to support the performance of the engine...the only time spark plugs have ever EVER added HP is if the OE plugs in a car did not ignite air and fuel at maximum efficiency...In conclusion...why buy the expensive plugs...?
Other engines that use a DI are not Saab Trionic!!!! You MUST USE ONLY those designed ( as raven says) for the Saab Knock detection, or you will lose HP ( see below) as Trionic tries to compensate for what it believes is a problem with your engine when using these other plugs to detect knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudethe9-5isfast View Post
Actually you can gain 30 hp from changing plugs.
If you have the wrong plugs in there, you can lose 30 hp due to T7 being conservative when it cannot complete the Knock sensor circuit. Replace it with correct BCPR6ES /7ES & you will get your 30 hp back.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #19

SAAB Trionic is a sleeping dragon you do not want to wake up.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #20
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Dear wicked old thread from forever ago.
I was wondering about this, as I've been running the v-power plugs in my aero. (okay, it's a Gary Fisher, but it's all Aero'd out)

Has anyone had any positive experience yay or nay on them?
I've ALWAYS used them for DSM's and even my old t5 cars, and didn't even consider that t7 may be too sensitive for them.

I just decided to search'em out on here since I'm doing a oil/plug change today.

I get that we're not *supposed* to change from the norm, but does anyone have any actual proof that they are good/bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in