PVC off-road modification - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

PVC off-road modification

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has a good reason why I shouldn't do the following for

"OFF ROAD USE"

-Gut pvc value,
-connect to oil separator/collection tank
-vent to air

Thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

The engineer who designed the "PVC" system is much smarter than you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
venting the PCV system into the atmosphere should be no problem, but if you have any sort of emission test and they spot it, it will fail. Also, the point where the system "vents" will get very oily so make sure it is not near any rubber parts.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Good to have you back.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Catch can prevents things from getting oily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
Catch can prevents things from getting oily.
If you have PCV #6, it has a built it catch tank.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...px?id=55561200

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
venting the PCV system into the atmosphere should be no problem, but if you have any sort of emission test and they spot it, it will fail. Also, the point where the system "vents" will get very oily so make sure it is not near any rubber parts.
I'm going to hook an oil catchcan in line, and put a filter on the vent end.

Sounds like an easy upgrade to me & no more oil in the intake tract.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
^^^
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
^^^
Yep, saw that for sure.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
JK
Elder

You were wondering if anyone had a good reason for not doing it...I'd say that is a perfectly viable response.

Typically when I think of modifying something, I try to think of a good reason why I should do it, not a good reason not to. What will the net benefit be? Do the benefits outweigh any potential issues?

The T7 motors tend to be a bit more sensitive when it comes to the PCV system. I personally wouldn't stray from the latest/greatest OEM PCV update. There is a reason why it has been updated to what it is today.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Actually, when I am looking at the PVC system I think about what it is designed to do, and the constraints the factory designers had to operate under.

I don't necessarily think "hmm someone smart than me made this, I should respect it"
I'm not opposed to RTFM, but I have met plenty of clever ideas that didn't make common sense.

Obviously you can't dump exhaust fumes and oil into the environment (constraint)

But you want to most effectively dissipate pressure (goal)

Now, the factory fellas had to take 6 cracks at this to get it right, that concerns me.

I know what I am proposing will vent the pressure COMPLETELY and keep oil out of the intake.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Under normal operation the PCV valve allows crankcase air to be drawn into the intake manifold when you have vacuum in the manifold. Once you make boost pressure, the PCV valve closes and the only ventilation the crankcase gets is thru the small hose that was running to the turbo inlet. By eliminating the PCV valve you can get twice the crankcase ventilation while under boost.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndnate1 View Post
Under normal operation the PCV valve allows crankcase air to be drawn into the intake manifold when you have vacuum in the manifold. Once you make boost pressure, the PCV valve closes and the only ventilation the crankcase gets is thru the small hose that was running to the turbo inlet. By eliminating the PCV valve you can get twice the crankcase ventilation while under boost.
Without the PCV check valve you will be pressurizing the valve cover/crankcase.

Why modify a proven system on a sludge prone car? Tell your Honda instincts to get out of your head.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
JK
Elder

Quote:
I think you are operating under the assumption that there is excess crankcase pressure when you are under boost. I highly doubt this is the case, unless you have some issues with your rings.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I think you are operating under the assumption that there is excess crankcase pressure when you are under boost. I highly doubt this is the case, unless you have some issues with your rings.
I'm operating on two ideas:
1. Under boost pcv is closed
2. under boost there is more blowby (in proportion to amt of boost)
Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Actually, when I am looking at the PVC system I think about what it is designed to do, and the constraints the factory designers had to operate under.

I don't necessarily think "hmm someone smart than me made this, I should respect it"
I'm not opposed to RTFM, but I have met plenty of clever ideas that didn't make common sense.

Obviously you can't dump exhaust fumes and oil into the environment (constraint)

But you want to most effectively dissipate pressure (goal)

Now, the factory fellas had to take 6 cracks at this to get it right, that concerns me.

I know what I am proposing will vent the pressure COMPLETELY and keep oil out of the intake.
Quote:
WOOOOOOW. Step away from the PCV system, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm operating on two ideas:
1. Under boost pcv is closed
2. under boost there is more blowby (in proportion to amt of boost)
Do you see that big hose that attaches to the valve cover at the same place that the PCV hose does? Follow that and see where it goes.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
JK
Elder

Yup, it goes to the intake. Under boost the intake literally sucks the crankcase fumes and pressure out. The crankcase is certainly not closed under boost
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post

Issues with rings such as low friction pistons? This is where the whole sludge and pvc problems originate.

The 9000 b234 which is nearly identical has a simple pcv system and has none of the same issues as the 9-5 does because it did not have these low friction pistons which actually do NOT seal as well as the b234 pistons (hence the low friction).

I am intrigued by this conversation, and I'm the first to admit I don't understand completely the pcv system on the 9-5. I put update 6 on mine, and still have oil leak that I have read is due to pcv issues.

I'll tell you one thing, I dont agree with "because somebody smarter than you..." when this pcv problem took 6 iterations to fix, and wasn't really fixed till 2003 model years.

Lets dicuss..... I've got alot to learn.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
Elder

The other function of the PCV system routed to the inlet is that it always (almost always) maintains the crankcase under vacuum, which helps the front and rear main crank seals ... well.... seal. If there is vacuum in the case, oil that would weep past the seals gets slurped back inside.

For those of you not paying attention, the acronym PCV means exactly that, if you vent it to atmostphere it's not PCV - it's what they had prior to the 1970's, when you just have a little breather filter.

Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
"race" ??? lol!, pvc, race

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in