what are my forged piston options? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
what are my forged piston options?

Genuine saab has JE, and maptun has vossner
does anyone offer wiseco, or mahle?

what are my options?
I tried searching the manufacturers, but most of their sites suck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Je

JE is in US and Nick T. is an official distributor, while Wossner is in Germany, so if you ever need a spare set of rings or anything, Nick will be by your side of the Ocean
just my 0.02 $
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
You've got it, JE or Wossner are the main options. Maybe there are others, but does it really matter. Odds are you're not going to make power that's going to stress the limits of what either piston can do.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Elder

OE pistons are Mahle...
Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
OE pistons are Mahle...
..and they don't make a forged replacement!?
boooo

JE's it will be...

Just have to pay for paint... then motor.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Elder

I recall reading that fewer engines built with JE pistons had oil consumption issues as well, but oil consumption could be a number of issues down to the way the rings are set up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
I recall reading that fewer engines built with JE pistons had oil consumption issues as well, but oil consumption could be a number of issues down to the way the rings are set up.
Forged performance pistons open you up to a world of issues that OEM's consider unacceptable. One of the reasons I stick doggedly to the stock hyper-eutectic pistons. Nice tight fit, even when cold.

That and it's my belief that while the motor may be built to handle in excess of 300 hp, not much of the rest of the drivetrain can handle it. That's just my opinion though.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
Elder

oil consumption are the least of my worries. I think the biggest reason for the oil use is because most don't pull the motor and machine for the new pistons.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning towards a simple fix.

FWIW, JZW sells vossner's as well! and his prices are similar to nick's JE price.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
Forged performance pistons open you up to a world of issues that OEM's consider unacceptable. One of the reasons I stick doggedly to the stock hyper-eutectic pistons. Nice tight fit, even when cold.

That and it's my belief that while the motor may be built to handle in excess of 300 hp, not much of the rest of the drivetrain can handle it. That's just my opinion though.
NO!
I have Wossners and there is NO issue with them, if the rings are well chosen and set!
Forget about what garage experts say
Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
NO!
I have Wossners and there is NO issue with them, if the rings are well chosen and set!
A sample size of one does not data make. Forged aluminum pistons have poorer thermal expansion properties than the hyper-eutectic aluminum pistons. This is simply a fact of chemistry. The tolerances are going to be looser when cold, they have to be. They're going to be noisier on a cold start and you're going to have to be more gentle with the engine until it up to temperature.

That said, I never said there was anything specifically wrong with using forged pistons. As long as you mind the side effects of their inherent thermal expansion properties, they can operate perfectly trouble free for years.

Having talked to g96nt at length about turbos in the past, I'm pretty sure he knows this already.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #11

wut?

Quote:
A sample size of one does not data make. Forged aluminum pistons have poorer thermal expansion properties than the hyper-eutectic aluminum pistons. This is simply a fact of chemistry. The tolerances are going to be looser when cold, they have to be. They're going to be noisier on a cold start and you're going to have to be more gentle with the engine until it up to temperature.

That said, I never said there was anything specifically wrong with using forged pistons. As long as you mind the side effects of their inherent thermal expansion properties, they can operate perfectly trouble free for years.

Having talked to g96nt at length about turbos in the past, I'm pretty sure he knows this already.
I understand it quite the other way: the forged aluminum pistons having less thermal expansion, they keep the dimension no matter what are the work conditions of the engine. So...
then again, it`s just a simple matter of understanding physics
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
I understand it quite the other way: the forged aluminum pistons having less thermal expansion, they keep the dimension no matter what are the work conditions of the engine. So...
then again, it`s just a simple matter of understanding physics
your wrong, sorry.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
your wrong, sorry.
right.
piston "slap" is from the pistons contracting while cold., and having a bigger wall clearance. once they warm up, they snug-up, and there's less noise.

I'm okay with that, really. I don't often race the car, but I'd like to know that I'm not on the ragged edge all the time with my car tuned to 15psi.
A little noise for the first 4 minutes of start-up is perfectly fine to me.

There are some piston manufacturers that use different alloys for pistons, and add silica(I think?) to aid in this, but given my two choices, and my ultimate goals... It's just going to come down to which I can get first.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
NO!
I dont get any coldr weather clack with my Wossners. Not that cold clack is a bad thing when starting up
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
right.
piston "slap" is from the pistons contracting while cold., and having a bigger wall clearance. once they warm up, they snug-up, and there's less noise.

I'm okay with that, really. I don't often race the car, but I'd like to know that I'm not on the ragged edge all the time with my car tuned to 15psi.

There are some piston manufacturers that use different alloys for pistons, and add silica(I think?) to aid in this, but given my two choices, and my ultimate goals... It's just going to come down to which I can get first.
So are you going for big power down the road? Or are you just looking to make sure you don't have any melted pistons at your current level?

|
|
Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadenais View Post
I dont get any coldr weather clack with my Wossners. Not that cold clack is a bad thing when starting up
Me either never did or oil consumption...

Quote:

Never heard it the other way eihter that EVERYONE with forged gets slap

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
right.

As race engine builders are apt to say, loose is bettter than tight ( but does not apply to women in several demensions)
Old 09-24-2010, 05:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
...loose is bettter than tight ( but does not apply to women in several demensions)
These, my friend, are the words of a wise man
Old 09-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
So are you going for big power down the road? Or are you just looking to make sure you don't have any melted pistons at your current level?
not biiiiiig power, but I have this ol' turbo and manifold to get on there, and I'd rather over-build than under.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #19
TSLMember

I have asked Ross performance about custom made pistons price is about 770$/set.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #20

How much is this build going to cost ? Its amazing the aftermarket parts are still so expensive in this economy...You can buy an almost new Saab 9-5 engine for 1.5K, Build a TD04-19t turbo for another few hundred, some injectors, etc for under 3K and boost the crap out of it and if it blows (which it probably won't) and replace it with another one...I would be interested to see how long a 400HP tune would last with stock internals...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in