t7 motors; which piston usually burns, first? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
t7 motors; which piston usually burns, first?

So, I know in DSMs, the #3 is usually the first to go, and show signs of knock. partially because of it's placement on the fuel-rail, and partially because it's inside, and doesn't get to shed heat so quickly.

I was driving home today, and did a spirited pull in the wagon, and it started smoking. when I got it down to idle @ a stop-light, it was idling pretty rough.
when I get home, I pop the hood, and notice oil and coolant on the rear-drivers' side of the motor, which is a little odd. (I assume bad HG)

when I did a compression test, I started with 3, then 4, then 2, then 1
the numbers looked like this: 190, 190, 185, 60 psi.

Is it common that the #1 piston goes? I went to it last, thinking it was the least-likely to be melted... or, it it more likely that I REALLY blew the HG pretty bad?

FWIW, I have a td04, 3" exhaust, FMIC, CAI, and it was tuned as such.
I have recently added t5 cams, but have yet to have it tuned.
I didn't think the car would need a re-tune with just cams, but I'm thinking I will, soon.
(please don't post to tell me I need to tune it)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Out of curiosity, who did the tune?

And usually 3 is the common one to have problems. I have also seen 1 fail though.

Sorry to hear!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Elder

Too bad I have seen one as well... did you run a wideband on that motor?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Steve Hayes did mine about a year and a half ago. It only boosts to 15psi, and on the wideband, it was high-11's low-12's @ WOT (on a dyno)
It's worth mentioning I did just swap to a H.O. t7 head, and it's possible the headgasket didn't seat correctly. (also possible I didn't torque the ARP's enough.)

This motor never overheated, according to the SID, (never went over 102*)
with the old, and new head on it.

I kind of assumed that #3 would be the most-likely, as well... I was a little shocked to see #1 be the low one.

The motor isn't making any noise, idle doesn't dip... seems normal, aside from sounding like a subaru, and having no balls.

oh well... if I have to, I'll pick up some JE's or whatever, hone it, and go back at it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Elder

I have like four Cyl. #4's in a row go on roasted B2x5 engines at the shop.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
What did you torque the ARPs too? and did you have the head decked before installing??

its an end cyl (either 4 or 1) to toss an HG, most the time ive delt with blown ones those are the two that kick out first

however, this is c900/9000 experience talking, i think cyl 1 (or is it 4, its the one closest to the dizzy) usually blew due to the intake mani design. 9-5s are much more symmetrical
Old 09-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
Elder

the head was planed, yeah.....
the ARPs get tightened to 105lb/ft
the only thing is that I didn't use oil or the moly lube.
I'll take a look @ the head with a straight-edge when the head's off again.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Elder

well, I finally got it apart today.
#1 is cracked. it's not in pieces, but it's cracked.
Also, the lower compression ring is cracked, and fell out when I popped it out of the motor.

The good news was that there was zero scoring, the rod bearings looked good, and the oil pan/pickup were pretty clean. (aside from some RTV scraps)

so.. a stone-hone, and wossners are the plan. I may have it done in '10, but I doubt it.
having the 9-3 means I donlt have to rush.

a couple crappy pictures:

Old 11-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice! In the pics, the crank looks scored on number 3 I think? Like spun main bearing? Might just be stains.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Elder

no scoring. they're all perfectly fine.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Wow, boom.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Elder

looks like a classic t7 failure to me.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Nice! In the pics, the crank looks scored on number 3 I think? Like spun main bearing? Might just be stains.
are you talking about the 2nd from left? that's the rod bearing, still on the crank. Everything's fine in there. just needs a hone, and we're off!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Just curious as to why you changed your mind from JE to Wossners ?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Elder

I'm not going to have this car forever, And I'm trying to keep it as civil as I can (for resale) Trying to explain to anyone why the motor makes so much noise @ startup isn't what I want to be doing.
I'd perfer to buy the 4032's which have less expansion/contraction difference, and worry a lot less about warm-ups, and blowby.

JE aren't junk, by any means, but they're just not the most D/D-friendly.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Looks nice

Mine was #3, for reference. Luckily it happened shortly before my test drive and the Saab dealer rebuilt the engine.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #17
Avid TSL User

I have the ceramic coated JEs in my daily driver for 30K miles at this point without any piston slap etc at startup
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
JZW
Elder

I like the woessner, they are high quality and I get no piston slap on cold mornings, defintely less than the Je pistons I was running before and the woessner pistons do have a coating on the skirts, just like je.

The woessner pistons are a little bit lighter too, I have been very happy with them so far and have them in my Viggen and my 700bhp race car.

John
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
JZW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
looks like a classic t7 failure to me.
I would agree, looks just like my viggen did and other t7 piston failures I have seen. T7 pistons are on the weak side, no doubt about it...
Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
our of curisoty, how far have people taken the T7 rods? they look pretty beefy, and Ive barely every heard of them popping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in