New down pipe - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

New down pipe

So i got a new down pipe from CTI (Custom Tubes INC.) out of windham NH. i was very unimpressed with craftsmanship, welds were poorly mig welded and poor fitment, i couldnt even get a socket on the turbo studs, pipe was to close to the nuts. the middle support bracket barely lined up could only get one bolt on, also the flex pipe is against the oil pan. Fortunatly i own a set of torches an some brains so i made it work. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that for $550 i would go with GS. All in all it was a 4 hour fitment. I have made a call to him and will see if he will make either a new one or fix the issues. On the plus side i was able to fit my rear diffuser i am building a mold for. Its been taking a while but personal life and work has been crazy. Here are some pics of what it looks like. would like to get a yay or nay on the look.
[IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbro2; 08-12-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Cool Splitter, I Like where your going with that, Is the right side exit just going to be a "DUMY"?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
Are those welds really that bad? It's difficult for mig welds to look perfect. Tig welds look 100x better, but also take longer, and thus cost more money. As long as there isn't tons of splatter and you can see the proper burn marks/heat rings around the welds, those should work fine (although they could have grinded them down some to make the work more aesthetically pleasing).

Also, that rear diffuser is amazing work! It is a phenomenal design and will look stunning when complete. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

I got the same downpipe a month ago. For 550, it's really a shitty value. It's not stainless and requires some trimmiing to fit. The biggest problem was tightening it to the turbine housing.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Wink

The idea is for both exhaust ports to be usable. Thanks for the positive remarks. As far as the welds go i would say if your selling a part for $550 it should fit perfect and should look aesthetically pleasing, i would say that most people want to upgrade for performance and aesthetics.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
Elder

Welds look decent on the pipe - agreed about fitment/looks and price. The DP nickT sells @ GS is SOOOO nice - I've had the pleasure of installing one and removeing one. Their only issue is a clamp needed to be ground down to clear the rear subframe - not a big deal.

Awesome diffuser design. Interested in exhaust plans - dual?
for your repair needs
Old 08-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Avid TSL User

the plan will be to Y pipe after the rear end and 2 mufflers on the side of the spare tire. I still havent figured out what i am going to do with the exhaust tips may be a custom tips that attach to the exhaust. but that is going to require alot of metal manipulation.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #8
Elder

Just look up the parts on the Turbo X and the new 9-5 - perhaps something can be bought to fit which already exists.
for your repair needs
Old 08-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I agree...for mig those welds aren't terrible. Fitment is another story....

Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 9000Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro2 View Post
the plan will be to Y pipe after the rear end and 2 mufflers on the side of the spare tire. I still havent figured out what i am going to do with the exhaust tips may be a custom tips that attach to the exhaust. but that is going to require alot of metal manipulation.
Have you considered just doing a single or dual exit with the exhaust tip(s) hidden, bent downwards at the end? Alot of cars do this and it might save you alot of trouble, time, and money. Plus, I'd say the rear diffuser would look good enough as-is without tips. Just something to consider. Again, amazing fabrication work.

2006 9-3 Aero 6mt
2005 9-3 Aero auto (wife's ride!)
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbro2 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
That sucks. I'm running the 3" DP from GenuineSaab (which is fantastic) but I'm actually running a 3" stainless from CTI. I've had it for about 3 years now and the build on the exhaust is great; not sure what happened there with the DP...

|
Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #12
Elder

It reminds me of the first generation JT exhaust systems (slip sleeve)... "functional" but not the cleanest or easiest to install work around....
for your repair needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in