Saab 9-5 SE V6 performance - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Saab 9-5 SE V6 performance

TRYING to find performance parts for a 2000 9-5. I am DEAD SET on building a V6 car but cant seem to find any parts...
HELP?!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Hey, saw the post the first time in the other 9-5 forum. Posting the same message in more than one location on the forum is not looked upon kindly.

That aside, the B308E was designed to be an economical motor with the torque of asymmetric turbocharging. Modifying this car will require some interesting thought outside of the box. Start with basics like an open intake and an uprated turbo bypass valve. From there, you may look into having a custom exhaust crafted for the car.

Good luck whatever you do!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SaabDriver87
9-5 V6 and performance are a total contradiction in terms, as a result there is little in the way of performance add-ons available.

I've seen some tastefully modded V6s with suspension and exhaust work done to them but there really isn't much for the engine you can do.

Has anyone played with T7 suite for one of these cars?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SaabDriver87; 04-06-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Elder

BSR makes a solid stage 2 tune for it, check out youtube for some footage of the acceleration. Other than that, you might have to be innovative and that might lead to finding the performance limits of the V6. I support you doing that though because many people thought my car with an automatic transmission at 280whp would kill the transmission in weeks, but it has been almost two years without a hitch so just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it won't work.

|
|
Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #5
JK
Elder

You'll either have to delve into the realm of custom parts, or be happy with very little aftermarket V6 specific parts.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
BSR makes a solid stage 2 tune for it, check out youtube for some footage of the acceleration. Other than that, you might have to be innovative and that might lead to finding the performance limits of the V6. I support you doing that though because many people thought my car with an automatic transmission at 280whp would kill the transmission in weeks, but it has been almost two years without a hitch so just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it won't work.
You're going to blow your transmission now since you said that, you know that right.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Well I decided I am NOT good enough to delve into custom parts.. So the V6 car is now the commuter. I have purchased a 1992 9000 5spd. for $2500. This weekend will see the entire AC system removed, larger turbo and intercooler pipes, cone, cold air style intake, purge valve, 3 inch down pipe, exhaust. Have removed EVERYTHING from the back of the front seats back down to bare metal. SUPER sleeper. pics will be up soon, Thanks for the advice guys, guess I'll be moving to the 9000 forums now lol
Old 04-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Hey, saw the post the first time in the other 9-5 forum. Posting the same message in more than one location on the forum is not looked upon kindly.

That aside, the B308E was designed to be an economical motor with the torque of asymmetric turbocharging. Modifying this car will require some interesting thought outside of the box. Start with basics like an open intake and an uprated turbo bypass valve. From there, you may look into having a custom exhaust crafted for the car.

Good luck whatever you do!
Yeah, how about making it a twin turbo engine to start with. I know it's crowded on the back side of the engine and getting rid of the heat would be another issue, but two smaller turbos, dual exhaust, bigger injectors, open intake, remapping the ECU and other mods could wake up that engine. I had a 9-5 SE wagon I bought for my X in 2002 with that engine and immediately wanted to tap into it's potential.

'00 VigVert- Nirvana
'00 9-3SE DD
2013 Silverado Z71 4WD
Old 04-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to DanF.
How is the bottom end on the V6 engine?
1987 900T parts car
1987 900 SPG parts car
1991 900T sold
1997 9000 Aero sold
2004 9-5 Aero sold
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
SAABeginner

My mechanic posed the twin turbo idea, he offered to build the parts, as long as my car would be the test mule, he offered to fix anything that blew up, and I got to keep the parts after testing was done. BUT, the 9-5 (FOR NOW) will remain mostly factory. Thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I supplied the pistons for this car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3GcElSQn0

Furthest I have seen one of the v6s still in a 9-5 auto. The motors were also modified by swindon in the uk for a spec series but it did not last long.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #12
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I supplied the pistons for this car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3GcElSQn0

Furthest I have seen one of the v6s still in a 9-5 auto. The motors were also modified by swindon in the uk for a spec series but it did not last long.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF. View Post
How is the bottom end on the V6 engine?
iirc the connecting rods had a very anorexic and feminine build to them..... but i cant remember if that was the 2.5 v6, or the 3.0 V6 and i dont recall if it had a turbo or not

Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
343hp w/ 406tq isn't at all bad! Do they put different autos behind the V6 turbo units?

It's cool to see something different.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

The B308 V6 has many limitations at over stock HP.
I can address one of them - the 4 speed autobox.
The 4 cyl and the 6 Cyl share the same 4 speed autobox from 99 through 2001.
I tuned my 4 cyl autobox to 290hp and didn't have any tranny issues for the 4 years with this tune. ( frequent tranny oil was one safety issues addresses). Since selling the car detuned to stage 2, the car has had an additional 2 years without tranny issues.
Caviots ..... never did burn outs or full speed accelerations on bumpy roads that could cause wheel hop and torque spikes. Nevertheless did plenty of WOT 40mph+ drags to educate non Saab owners to respect the griffin....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in