What exhaust to get? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to sethrman
What exhaust to get?

Hello,
My girlfriend is most likely getting a 2001 9-5 Aero and she has some extra cash to get some goodies. We want an exhaust but what to go with?
Option 1: GS V2 Downpipe with custom 3" catback;
Option 2: GS V2 Downpipe with Saab sport exhaust;
Option 3: JT 3" Turboback with no cat and one muffler (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=713)

I prefer option 3 as it will be WAY cheaper and I would love all the noise but does anyone have experience with this JT kit. Ive heard they are poor quality. And will it truly be too loud?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to sethrman
Also will it cause a check-engine-light?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Elder

i put the GS v2 downpipe on my dad's 9-5 last summer. it's an amazing piece, and will bolt right up to the stock exhaust if you're worried about noise. definitely the route i'd go

no CEL on my dad's car thus far

Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
if you don't have a cat you will get a CEL with stock software.

JT is mild steel, v2 is stainless. so the JT obviously won't last as long.

I would choose the v2 paired with BSR or Remus catback
Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

All depends on how loud you want the exhaust to be and how much you plan on tuning the car in the future. If you plan on going above a stage 2 tune I would probably get a 3" exhaust or at least a 3" inch down pipe. If you are looking to update the exhaust, I would take out the center resonator and replace the muffler with a straight through design muffler like a magnaflow or even remove the rear muffler completely if you want it loud. Any of those jt exhausts are fine, but they do have different amounts of mufflers you can get with it and either race cat or normal cat I believe. Full 3" will be loud.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Ferritta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethrman View Post
Hello,
My girlfriend is most likely getting a 2001 9-5 Aero and she has some extra cash to get some goodies. We want an exhaust but what to go with?
Option 1: GS V2 Downpipe with custom 3" catback;
Option 2: GS V2 Downpipe with Saab sport exhaust;
Option 3: JT 3" Turboback with no cat and one muffler (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=713)

I prefer option 3 as it will be WAY cheaper and I would love all the noise but does anyone have experience with this JT kit. Ive heard they are poor quality. And will it truly be too loud?
I have a full 3" Ferritta system...just sweet (check my 9-5 upgrades thread)
Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

i put a jt 3" turbo back exhaust on my car in august. the winters been pretty rough in massachusetts so far and no rust! i used the sport catalyst with new bosch o-2's, and so far no issues. at first i thought its was too loud for my taste, but i think i'll remove the center muffler this spring. try the dual muffler first. ohh yeah i purchased mine from elkparts.com.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saablo View Post
i put a jt 3" turbo back exhaust on my car in august. the winters been pretty rough in massachusetts so far and no rust! i used the sport catalyst with new bosch o-2's, and so far no issues. at first i thought its was too loud for my taste, but i think i'll remove the center muffler this spring. try the dual muffler first. ohh yeah i purchased mine from elkparts.com.
Welcome to the link. Stop in to the new member thread and tell us about your car...

Elkparts is kinda pricey to buy from in the US when you add shipping, GenunieSaab sells JT as well, Bought mine 5 years ago, surface rust but no problem so far, the DP gets so hot it wil not rust that much.

5 years 50K miles still solid
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I had a full 3in system with a race cat & magnaflow muffler & it was to loud for me.

I purchased a used exh from Nick, I think it was the saab sport or something like that.... 2.5in & it sounds just about right. There are times I would like it to be a little louder but it's so nice not having any annoying noises at speed at the highway. So I would do option 2 so noise inside the car is at a minimum, my car is also stg3 or 4 with a 18t turbo

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 02-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
I am considering an exhaust upgrade as well on my 03 Aero wagon. I'm leaning towards the 2.5" BSR system when the time comes. I've had all sorts of exhaust on all sorts of SAABs, and I'm older now and ready for something a bit more mellow. I had a full 3" system on my 85 SPG with no cat and 1 muffler and it sounded like a Harley when I got on to on ramps... From what I read the BSR is the way to go for a nice upgrade with stock sound. If it were you car, maybe you'd go 3" and loud, but considering it is your lady's ride, maybe you should consider something on the milder side, number 2 being that option.

Also hi Gary, it's been awhile!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #11

GS Downpipe and 3" all the way through a Borla muffler. Sounds GREAT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in