what are your thoughts on these tires? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

what are your thoughts on these tires?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=345WR7ECDWS

Aside from the obvious good ratings, how do you guys feel about these tires? the price seems a little too good to be true, but idk alot on what determines the cost. I want a light, sporty tire with a good tread rating and this fits the bill. AND they throw in a GPS, should I get them?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Treadwear rating of 540 = fail o'plenty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to XC99TF00
I second that opinion... nothing sporty about a 540 treadwear rating. I'd say go with a specific set for summer and a set for winter.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

what kind of tire would I want for march-november here in CT? Since we're in the same state after all.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
The Generals are decent. As well as the Kumho.

The good part about dedicated summer and winter tires is they are pretty reasonably priced.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #6

I have a dedicated set of General snow tires on right now. Are you saying I shouldn't be looking at all seasons? I don't usually put the snows on until first snow.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
I say go for it, I have a set of snows on my stock wheels. 225/45/17. A set of Klingons for spring and fall with the tires you are looking at, 235/45/17. And then my summer O.Z. Ultra with Conti Sport 3's. The 540 tread rating is the highest you can go and will last you a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #8

I guess three sets of wheels/tires would be the most ideal for the seasons, but I don't think I'm going that far. Should I be looking at All seasons more like these?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...num=345YR7PSAS
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiresB...=345WR7RE960PP

The michelins have a pretty high tread rating, but they seem sporty enough. I don't know anything about those Bridgestones though.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Treadwear rating of 540 = fail o'plenty.
Lets all be perfectly honest with ourselves here....unless you are going to be Captain Trackday or do regular autocrosses, I'd put dollars to pounds that any old tire composition will do just fine for your daily driving around, especially in a big 'ol 9-5 on New England roads.

Call me Debbie Downer, but if your tires are one thing preventing you from reaching incredible levels of driving performance.......maybe you should be driving a true sports car, not a 9-5.

........sorry. done rant.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
I have Goodyear Eagle GT's on my 9-5 right now and they're very good in my opinion. Reasonably quiet, grippy, and wearing nicely despite my ridiculously low sport suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
Lets all be perfectly honest with ourselves here....unless you are going to be Captain Trackday or do regular autocrosses, I'd put dollars to pounds that any old tire composition will do just fine for your daily driving around, especially in a big 'ol 9-5 on New England roads.

Call me Debbie Downer, but if your tires are one thing preventing you from reaching incredible levels of driving performance.......maybe you should be driving a true sports car, not a 9-5.

........sorry. done rant.
Also, I completely agree with this. I actually went down from 225/45R17 to 215/55R16 because the car rides a lot better. The grip isn't as mind blowing as when I had BFGoodrich KDW2's on my 17's, but it's more than enough for an emergency stop from highway speeds.

Last edited by Raven18940; 03-11-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
gm

all season tires even the sportiest ones are not sporty. They are designed to be used year round & to me do nothing good.... but also they aren't necessarily bad at anything either. You could probably get 40-50K miles on a set of those..... but do not expect to be able to push the car hard through turns and maintain good speeds.

If you want something that doesn't do everything look at a summer tire. They will suck in the snow (you have that covered already) & sometimes get kinda sketch when the roads get cold (my pirelli pzero rosso's lost traction around 50 degrees) but would run circles around the continental tire on dry roads and usually rain covered roads as well.

Continental makes excellent tires...... some of the best!! If you want something you can drive hard on those twisty roads I would look elsewhere. But if you just want someting to get you from A to B there is nothing wrong.

For me, I do not like all season tires so my viggen has snow tires in the winter & at minimum a high performance summer tire the rest of the year.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
Elder

those are no seasons. stay away from em!

as gm said, dedicated snow/winter tires for the cold months, and performance summer tires are your best/safest bet.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I have toyo proxes4.. as far as "most-season" tires go, they're pretty alright.
if you want tires that handle well, and don't howl when you take simple turns, try and keep your treadware around 400-450, tops.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
gm

+1 for the proxes 4's

I had them on my viggen before the rosso's & they performed really well especially for a all season tire. When they were at their end of life I even took them to a drivers school & they performed better then I expected for all season

I got around 15K miles on the tires

The Fz4's (older version of proxes 4's) are complete junk

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to XC99TF00
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhess427 View Post
what kind of tire would I want for march-november here in CT? Since we're in the same state after all.
It isn't so much that those are bad, but given that you have a set of dedicated winter tires, I would select a set of dedicated summer tires versus all-seasons. The all-season tires do nothing great, but everything reasonably well. Whereas the summer tires will drive great in the warm months, and then you have your snows for the cold winter months. I'm running Nokian Hakkapoliitta RSIs for the winter and currently Dunlop Direzza DZ101s in the summer months. Though I would not recommend the Dunlops for the Summer. I will be getting rid of them after this summer season and am not sure what I am going with next. Possibly some Nokian Summers though they highly priced unfortunately.

Last edited by XC99TF00; 03-11-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Elder

here ya go....
tires
Not race tires, and not minivan tires.
I should mention.... 235mm wide tires need an 8"wheel
Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #17

I agree wth getting dedicated snow and summer tires. I have three cars and two of them have snow tires rims and Summer tires/ rims. The SPG (which i don't drive in the snow) has ultra performance summer tires and it handles like a race car.

All seasons are garbage if you ask me. Like others have said, they don't do anything specifically good, just ok at things and really suck at snow.

I have had some serious snow in PA this year and I've passed many a SUV that was spinning up hills and on the highway. My passengers are like. "How does your car go so good in the snow?" and the most recent was "How the hell can you stop like you do?"

It's all in the tires!

Dedicated specific tires have made a world of difference in safety and that's the most important thing.

I use dunlops almost exclusively for summer and I've had blizzaks, mastercraft and most recently winterforce snow tires. They are really cheap and last three years, but the traction is unbelievable.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
here ya go....
tires
Not race tires, and not minivan tires.
I should mention.... 235mm wide tires need an 8"wheel
Something like that seems to be OK. Maybe I'll get a dedicated summer tire and put my winters on a month early.
I'm putting the new tires on my RKII's which I believe are 8inches wide. The wheels previously had falken high performance summer tires on them, any time it rained in the Fall i felt like i was driving around on skateboard wheels.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #19

I know they don't make the best summer performance tire for the rain anymore Dunlops FM901s) , but i tell you that the dunlop fm901s are frickin awesome tire and handle in the rain. I drove 170 miles (Rear drivers) in the pouring rain with a flat tire and they performed beautifully. The tires fit the rims so that they ride on the sidewalls, so even though they are flat, the sidewall is strong enough to support the car.

I couldn't believe it. Of course the tire was trashed and bald from driving with it flat in that time, but I was not going slow, or taking it easy.

As soon as i stopped I noticed it was flat and was like "Holy sh!t I have a flat tire!." I did feel like i was wobbly in the read end, but I just figured i was hydroplaning.

My point is though that they are directional and have big grooves to wash away the water. So if you look for something that has grooves like it, that might be the best bet in the rain...

These on the spg

I have these on my Viggen now
SP Sport Maxx

They are ok, but not as good as the FM901.

Do not get these

They are downright dangerous in the wet... I would stay away from anything that even resembles this tread pattern.

Last edited by Paul Campagna; 03-12-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: edit sentence.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

I also drive a 9-5 - SportCombi. Because this car is not the type of vehicle that I would push hard into the corners, I installed the Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions, this past November. At this point, have run about 7,000 miles on them. As Paul mentioned, PA got a good bit of snow this past winter. These tires were ok - but not great. I can live with that since the road are usually only snow covered for a day or two after a snowfall. Then it is back to bare roads, whether dry or wet, but bare none the less.

It is about time to put tires on my wife's '91 9000T. She is a very tame driver, so I will again take a look at the Bridgestones. When I go to put tires on my 9000T, it will most likely get Michelins, not sure of model name, Pilot Energy ? ? Had them in the past and never had a complaint for them to handle my driving style. I have a good friend who is a fan of the DUNLOP's - guess I will have to talk to him about them.

TrollMeister

2000 9-5 SportCombi - 5-spd
The GEMINI Twins - CIRRUS WHITE
1991 9000-Turbo T16S Aero - auto
1991 9000-Turbo T16S Aero - 5-sp
1967 Mustang Conv w/289 - auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in