And so it begins.............................. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

And so it begins..............................

Haha can I tell you have much I love disposable income?! I will have about $700 to blow. At the end of this month a choice will be made . The beginning of many choices I will make over the next few months. First, the hardware then the software. ANd if there is anything left over we will make over the inside. I used to care about my warranty until I learned that only if that part caused the problem it would void it.....and since my warranty only covers lubricated engine components then those are the upgrades I'll have to be careful about. Plus if you find a cool mechanic there is no worries . This month I have decided on either a performance delivery pipe or an intercooler. The intercooler would wipe my check clean, but the delivery pipe would allow for a little extra next month. I can't decide. I feel like a kid in a toy store being able only to pick out 1 thing. I was also thinking of a 3" DP and cat from mpperformance. So here is a poll. Vote and please leave comments.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
i vote downpipe, from what i hear on the 9-5's its the best first upgrade that you can do, stupid things have 2 cat's on em! at least you can get rid of one of them.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #3

Downpipe...no contest. The two best options in terms of cost and quality are either Jak Stoll or MP and it will run you $500ish. Also the jury is still out on intercooler upgrades and how they impact air fuel ratios.

Git Er Done!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
TSLMember

I would change whatever is the most restricted. Ask yourself what is your ultimate goal. mild upgrade or street assasin... ( i don't know how to quantify either so your guess is as good mine.) if you go with software with stock componets, you may or will run rich. if you get downpipe, intercooler, etc, and no software then you'll have an efficent car and depending on how cool the air gets after the intercooler, you may run lean. so bottom line is you need both. if you want to piece together then i would go intake system( air filter, modded air box, etc.) then catback. after would be downpipe, cat or catless and software together. then depending on level of software you will need an intercooler and injectors. keep in mind that you can mix and match and there is no correct way of doing this, just don't do it wrong. don't go lean, don't ping, don't go boom!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #5

Okay here is my question........I have a cat back exhaust already. However I don't remember if is it 2.5" or 3" would this play a facotr in getting a 3" dp and cat. I know the size itself will make a performance difference, but I mean would the 2.5" be able to fit on a cat that has a 3" dp?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaaby
I would change whatever is the most restricted..... if you want to piece together then i would go intake system( air filter, modded air box, etc.) then catback. after would be downpipe, cat or catless and software together.
The most restricted item is the downpipe/cat. No real power gains can be experienced or sustained with the stock downpipe/cat.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

forget the downpipe + cat....just do the downpipe and get rid of the cat and put a testpipe in its place

if you have emissions testing you can always take the test pipe out and put the cat back in

that's what i'm going to do if i ever stop saving money for a house
Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabvos
that's what i'm going to do if i ever stop saving money for a house
don't worry, you can do both! that's what I'm doing, and trust me... that damn SPG does cost.... I have plenty for a down payment on just about any house around me, thing is I am not so sure if I want to be in a situation where I HAVE to pay out $3000 a month for mortgage payments. ARM's are an option, but I don't like those because you never get any equity... I think if I take the plunge into real estate at this point, I would get a duplex and rent out both 1/2's of it. that way, I get the equity, I have other people essentially paying the mortgage and when I go to sell it in 10 years, I should be able to pocket 100,000. Then I would be in a very good position to buy one of those gigantic houses that cost $500,000 now, and I might even be able to afford heat to boot
Old 06-24-2005, 11:00 PM   #9

The town I live in doesn't requie emission tests just safety tests . So I'll just get a turboback then. However no one has answersed the original question... if my piping is 2.5" from the high flow cat i bought a year ago when I get a3" dp and I going to need to change the size my my entire exhaust.?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #10
Avid TSL User

Real Estate

DeLorean,

You should consider buying the 2-4 unit you talked about, get into an interest only program on your mortgage to have shit payments, and use the rental income to increase your savings and buy your house, use the future rental income to supplement your homes mortgage, and at the end of the interest only period refi the investment property, take some cash out, get into a fixed mortgage, and use the cash out to buy another SAAB....Just my advice.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I vote for the downpipe and cat. If it does anything for your car that it did for mine, you will have a very large grin on your face. And just get the cat. Do your little part for the world.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:07 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

I dig the license plate my fellow main-ahhh.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:41 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Re: Real Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabISH9_5
DeLorean,

You should consider buying the 2-4 unit you talked about, get into an interest only program on your mortgage to have shit payments, and use the rental income to increase your savings and buy your house, use the future rental income to supplement your homes mortgage, and at the end of the interest only period refi the investment property, take some cash out, get into a fixed mortgage, and use the cash out to buy another SAAB....Just my advice.
I get the feeling you are into the real estate yourself I have thought about all that, it's going to happen soon
Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 AM   #14
Avid TSL User

Real Estate

gotta be in it, its a great investment.

plus i work in it, so that helps.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
TSLMember

Hey, can you put a 3" dp on the factory exhaust? Would it limit the performance that the dp is capable of producing?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #16

osiris..no, the 3" DP has a 2.5 reducer on it. so your 2.5 sport exhaust should "bolt right up"...but we all know the variety of things that are meant from "bolt up"... hahaha. lol anyays, good to go. i have the mp DP on my stock viggen exhaust till i get the funds this week for a custom 3" exhaust.
)
'02 SG Viggen Coupe (sold)
'99 LB Viggen Coupe (sold)
'99 9-3 SE (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in