9-5 2004 brakes & suspension upgrade - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

9-5 2004 brakes & suspension upgrade

Recently, driving my other car -SAAB 9-5 Aero 2004 sentronic, I had some real hard time keeping it on the road, compared to my soul car: the TROLL R+!

Now, the upgrades I`ve done to the 9-3OG Aero are miles away from the stock condition (Koni Kit, WP 6 pot 336mm BBK front & rear, all the chasis and body upgrades....), so imagine me waving on the road with the stock 9-5 Aero: somehow bulky, too flexible suspension, un-sure brakes (compared with the feeling with my WP brakes in my Troll).

So I have decided to do some minor upgrades to the 9-5 Aero, in terms of brakes and suspension.

I`m thinking about the following mods:

front brakes:
Brembo Brake Kit 315 mm with slotted rotors, for 9-5 02-->
What I would like to know is if this brakes will clear the 2004 9-5 Aero 5 Spoke EVO 17" (ALU 52) wheels...
Any good source for the spare pads (Ferodo HP1000)? Didn`t find them on gs site.
I would use also WP brakes, but since this SAAB is a sentronic car, I will not upgrate it`s power, so the WP BBK would be sort of an overkill, that`s why I`m thinking about this Brembo kit. Any1 uses it? Some impressions?

rear brakes:
Cobalt SS/TC Rear Sport Rotors Pair (to match the front discs from the above kit). Will they fit on my 9-5 Aero SAAB, with stock Aero calipers?
If not, maybe Nick can machine some 9-5 Aero rear discs to match the front discs

For suspension, I am looking at Sport Suspension 9-5 (Shocks/ Springs), from Nick T.
They present it like: "Koni sport and Vogtland Suspension Kit all 4 Shocks matched to lowering springs."

Having mounted the yellow adjustable Koni kit (shocks and springs) on my 9-3 OG and being absolutely happy about it (despite the "garage expert`s" opinions says that the Koni Kit is not value), I would take also the Koni set for 9-5 Aero.

Any feed-back or opinions on this mods? Someone here uses these parts?

Thanks a lot.

P.S. maybe even Nick T. chimes in with his expertise...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #2

?

bump...not a very noisy section, thou...

any1?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Alright

Brakes: I'd recommend new rotors and a nice set of sport pads before going for a massive and expensive brake upgrade. Don't go for PBR ulimate ceramic pads, they fade like a mofo.

Suspension: Those vogtland springs are meant to get an upgrade for a LPT or to lower the car, they're really not going to be much firmer than your Aero springs. If you shocks are shot, go for a set of Koni's or Bilstein HD's. If you want to seriously reduce body roll, you should look into SASAB sway bars.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #4

^thanks

dully noted...
SASAB sway bar?
This is a 2004 AERO...doesn`t it have a new type/reinforced sway bar?
Regarding the brakes, imagine that comming from my WP PRO 6 pot 336mm BBK, the stock AERO brakes are lame => that`s why I thought about the BREMBO kit...
It is somewhere in-between the stock and BBK
Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Yea, once you are use to a bbk you can't go back. My old SPG had the stock rotors (x-drilled with fancy pads) & it sucked compared to the 335m AP Kit I put on the car..... My viggen can't touch the old SPG with the bbk which is why I kept the bbk to put on my viggen.

Not sure if you would gain much with that 315mm brembo kit.....

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dumitrascu View Post
SASAB sway bar?
http://www.sasab.com/

Quote:
This is a 2004 AERO...doesn`t it have a new type/reinforced sway bar?
They're considerably more beefy than the big Aero ones. F:25mm R:22mm

Quote:
Regarding the brakes, imagine that comming from my WP PRO 6 pot 336mm BBK, the stock AERO brakes are lame => that`s why I thought about the BREMBO kit...
It is somewhere in-between the stock and BBK
I really can't see how they'd be useful, the standard aero brakes can lock up if you push hard. Even if you could magically apply more force without locking up you're still gonna be leaning hard on your front wheels.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #7

pov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
I really can't see how they'd be useful, the standard aero brakes can lock up if you push hard. Even if you could magically apply more force without locking up you're still gonna be leaning hard on your front wheels.
seems it`s a point of view issue, with the BBK`s...
what I can surely vouch for is that MY PERSONAL feeling is that the BBK are miles up-front of the stock brakes...
The Brembo kit that Nick is selling is somewhere in-between, might be the winning spot

And many thanks for the advises! Still opened for more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in