Holset VGT 9-5 Time for Something Different! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
TSLMember

Talking Holset VGT 9-5 Time for Something Different!

Hello those that are interested in my build,

Thanks John of JZW tuning... you know you kick A**!!!

First off... many thanks to my best friend Jeremy (Moosepuck) for making me the Guinea Pig for such an experimental venture... All your blood and sweat helped too! Putting the motor in and turbo upgrade a few weekends back was a blast! (Drunk Pics of the Pit Crew?!?)

Thanks Terry for introducing me to a Tuned Saab and a huge thank you to My oldest bro J.P. for starting my whole love of racing, turbo cars and motorsports ------> and BigA** Brakes!

This upgrade would never have even been something so different or interesting with out the help of another excellent friend of mine. Michael, thanks for all the flanges, brake adapters, custom wheel spacers, and the 1st ever Holset VGT to T3 manifold adapter that made this build possible

www.customfabshop.com

Michael will make any part for you with the utmost quality & precision at a price that would put any local machine shop out of business!!!

Lastly but certainly not the least, as we all know it would have been a hack job and cost 2x as much money without Vigge's Reindeer Performance's Manifold!

She is a 2000 Saab 9-5 LPT "Red Frankenstien Slut" Manual Trans TCS

2.334l 91mm Wosner pistons B234 Block, freshly built bottom end up, t7 head, t5 cams, and the Monster Holset He351ve VGT (Variable Geometry Turbo) Sleeve-Type Vein Controlled Exhaust Housing 9cm2-25cm2, JZW Stage VGT Tune
(extensive mod list is in the list your mods 9-5 page)

So this turbo basically has the capability to spool up as fast as a td04-15t and will outflow the larger 7-blade Hx-35

Can you say Possibilities?

I guess the long and short of it is:

The "Go Fast" Holset VGT, 60# deka's, 255l pump, Tial, Reindeer Mani, and JZW's Stage VGT Tuning mAir 1800+

The "Stop Fast" Stock Jaguar S-Type R 14" Rotor with Cadillac CTS-V Front 4-pot Brembo Calipers. BrakeQuip SS Custom lines

The Pit Crew:

Yes Moose, That is my favorite tool!!!

One Crazy Weekend for the CHC I tell Ya!

Vane control is currently controlled by a Wastegate actuator...opens at 15psi at about 3200rpm from 12cm2 to 25cm2

CRAZY SPOOL PAST 4200rpms, blink your eyes and literally you missed the 4500-6500rpms

I Had it set to Smaller than 9cm2 fully closed and it could just about make 20lbs of boost at about 3200rpms... but EGTs were through the roof. Locked in fully closed at 12cm2 now rack fully open 25cm2...

I didn't plan on making this page till the end of this month.

I would have had a dyno pull or two by then with a spare trans built on the side, A6 13.7" slotted GD1394 rotors would have been installed with EBC yellow pads, JZW's E85 tune would have been done using the new fueling system I am planning now= inline 044 with either the Bosch 92lb injector's or their big brother the 152lb injectors...All about room to grow!

More to Come Soon!
Will

Last edited by WPressly; 02-03-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: JoOsEn
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

just had to put those pics up didn't you?!?!? ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Elder

1st off nice job

2nd off post more info on that brake setup, because it is freakin massive. ive known about using the cts-v/ "off the shelf" brembos, but the info i had had never found a suitable rotor.

3rd off, since terry fell off the face of the earth, tell him Nathan says hi...havent talked to him in years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by saabkid37; 02-03-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Moreboost
wow, awesome build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moreboost; 02-03-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
TSLMember

Jesus Christ!

That's SENSATIONAL!!!!
I was fantasizing about VGT/VTG possibilities just the other day!

MORE MORE MORE info & pics!!!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Congrats! Sure is a super nice build. What suspension are you using?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Elder

thats incredibly badass!!!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to explorerfx4
I picked up and intercooler hose from Will last week and had a chance to see his car and got to ride in it. that thing is BADASS!! glad to see you got the brakes done, they looked massive in the trunk but seeing them on the car just proves how big they are!

thanks again for that hose will!

Last edited by explorerfx4; 02-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Video please.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Yes... Video and more pictures!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
TSLMember

happy the forum is back [email protected]!!!!

not much time 3x exams this week ... paper to write tonight!!!

I have to get a video, perhaps this weekend or something!

being lazy here is hte mod list from my mod page... I will get back to you guys with an update soon...

Getting ss fuel line t run off of inline 044 pump upgrade to go with the 1000cc injectors in a week...

Drop spare trans by to have it tore down and rebuilt next week... a just in case factor

I am ordering some t5 valve guides, and t5 seats to put in a spare head I have along with some t5 intake and exh valves... so the head will be more robust and not have a chance of melting the exh valves... probably going with the volvo springs because 4000-6500 goes by so quick... I would like to let her climb up to the 7k limit a bit more safely!!!!

here is a gay little short clip fro my telephone phone it is so sad a grainy but is a good teaser of fourth... I had fouled plugs in i realized later so it was running a bit rich my mAir only was getting up to 1760-1780's then floating down too 1680s but i will clear out my card in my camera later and get come one to take a proper video later this week it is kinda unsafe to do it all yourself... things happen rather quickly at 130mph!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
TSLMember

mod list:

I am sure I am missing something....

Model Year: 2000
Model: 9-5 Holset VGT w/ 2.4l Forged B234r
Transmission: Manual
Mileage: 103k w/ 3.5k on B234r W/ 91mm Wosner

Bunch O' Build Pictures:

http://gs173.photobucket.com/groups/w75/LURCSCZ9LO/

Lighting Mods:
- HID Lo, HID Hi beams
-Tinting and Outlining Headlights soon 2/2010

Exterior Mods:
- Debadged
- Leave "Silver" Aged Badges On, so only those who know, really know!

Wheels:
- 18"x 8.5" Axis Decade 10 spoke 2.5" stainless lip
-225/40/18 z rated Nitto neo-gen tires
- Color logo valve stem covers (SAAB)

Suspension:
- H&R Springs
- Koni Dampers ( 1/2 stiff Front, 2/3 stiff Rear)
- Aero Anti-Roll Bars, Impatient Should have waited for SAS Kit to be ready!
-SAS kit soon with front and rear Powerflex Bushings (3/2010)

Brakes
-355mm rotors up front
-Brembo 4-piston Calipers
-EBC Yellowstuff Pads
- CAN YOU SAY "$700 BBK?"

Body:
- Custi Black Grill by me center section removed Blacked Out/Black Mesh
- custom aluminum splash shield for intake
- debadged

Engine Bay:
-Does a B234 Upgrade Count?
-Painted Throttle Body to match and Upper Motor Mount
-All Vacuum Lines Replaced
-Custy by me 2.5" From IC to Throttle Body

Transmisson:
-Hopefully Quaife soon...
-Aero Pressure Plate
-CLutchnet 6-Puck Race Clutch=1st Gear Neck Fu*k!
-Aero Drive Shafts

Performance Mods:
- Stage 7+ Holset-VGT Tune by JZW
- Holset He351ve VGT Turbo
- Tial 44mm Wastegate
- 3.5" Downpipe and CatBack, Manrel Bends made by me
- FMIC intercooler Spearco 3.50 thick x 7.90 tall x 20.0 wide
- open air intake
- black diverter valve FORGE
- poly transmission mount bushing-GS
- New Di, New MAF
- T5 Cams

Interior Mods:
- Light Classy Tint
- Avic-D3 Headunit with full nav, bluetooth hands free, Steering wheel controled, divx capable 2x din entertainment center
- JL Xr 6.5 Comp Front Jl rears too driven by jl 300.4
- 12w6 driven by TMA 1000.1 w. remote gain - AMP sux don't buy it!
- Autometer Pro-Comp Boost Gauge and Oil Pressure Gauge
-Innovate LM-2 Logger w/ OBD-II Logging, Digital AFR Gauge
-Auber Instruments Pyrometer/EGT Digital PID Temp Gauge
-Valentine-1 w. hidden display, unit is hard wired behind rear-view mirror, micro-mute switch on turn signal stalk
-Aero Steering Wheel
-Black 9000 Aero Recaro's Fresh leather Up Front- Debating on the install or just go with Viggen or 2004 Aero seats?!?

Future holds:
-Install the rear CTS-V calipers on the rear of the 9-5 with maybe another custom type rotor adaptation...or just the boring 300mm stock ventilated aero disc's
-Apexi to control wastegate or make a custom 3-stage solenoid to open the Exhaust housing from 9cm2 to 14cm2 then to 25cm2
-Quaife with Rebuilt F35 and another Stage 4 6-puck soon
-Water/Meth Inj? Working on it
-Rebuild Spare t7 Head with t5 guts, Port and Polish Done but Bent a damn Valve!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Nice, one of the more interesting builds I have seen in awhile. It's nice to see some innovation.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
JZW
Elder

Lookin good Will, that thang looks like its screamin fast ! Wish I could take a ride in that beast and feel that acceleration. Seems to be moving pretty darn good !

John
Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Elder

That thing has some ridiculous top end, it will be great to see a video when you finalize your setup!

|
|
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
F-ing right, about time to see somebody rock a VGT..
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
Elder

He had to tear the engine down already after his build since he floated the valves and bent one . that;s whey he went T5 valves and vovlo springs to try to handle the the higher rpms just in case
Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
Elder

THat thing sounds great in that quick vid - more needed!
for your repair needs
Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #19
TSLMember

Needing to do it soon $$$ limits things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
He had to tear the engine down already after his build since he floated the valves and bent one . that;s whey he went T5 valves and vovlo springs to try to handle the the higher rpms just in case
Yea one of the springs on intake valve cyl 1 gave out after the build...just bent one valve. Sources who have forgotten more about engine building than I will ever know tell me it wasnt excess boost or anything...just a tired worn out weak spring, and the t7 springs are pretty soft to begin with.

I am banging on the forums classifieds to get the parts I need at a deal to slap a solid head on that will take a bit more of a beating than what is necessary...

Time for some preventative power maintenance!

John... You are the one who owns the beast...my car is very docile compared to the mind shredder you take to the track!

I will see how the E85 we've been talking about does... then to the Dyno she will go...

I really want to be smart about things and have some parts on the side for ya know...

Last edited by WPressly; 02-10-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Looks like fun

If you have the sid info enabled can you do a pull and setup the display so that it shows the rpm and mAir ?

450bhp 9-5 dynoed with 1500mg/C
now running 1700+ with water/meth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in