Stroker kits? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
TSLMember

Angry Stroker kits?

I am killing myself trying to research a stroker kit for my 9 -5 whether or not there is one specifically for the 9 -5 is fine. Although i am hard pressed to believe that the ecotec 2.3 from another vehicle (like a cavalier) is not similar enough to use with my power plant. (b235e)
Let me get to the initial question of has anyone heard or even fathomed the idea of stroking the 2.3l?
If so what are the results, end displacement, power gains, and from which bastard child of gm did it come from.
I am getting very amped up over the fact that saab barely gets any recognition in the tuning market and after owning one for sometime now and seeing the potentail in the vehicle, want to make a state around my stomping grounds. I do understand this motor is made to run on boost but I feel there's more that can be done before i get into the induction part. thanks again everyone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Elder

why do you want to stroke a 2.3?

i can say with almost positivity that there is not a commercially available stroker kit.

you would need to play with rod length along with wrist pin location, and then deal with the increased cylinder wall pressures and heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
I think JEGS sells a stroker kit.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
What are you trying to achieve? Just more power? Higher compression? More displacement?

For higher compression you can get a bump from getting the block decked and the head milled. If you are looking for more displacement boring out the cylinders and getting oversized pistons will do the trick. Both of these can be done by any competent engine builder machine shop. Be aware that everything has to come-out or come apart and the car has to sit, or have all the work done to a spare block and then have a engine swap once everything is set. As you have discovered this isn't a common path. But, it doesn't mean it's a bad one. It's just expensive and very time consuming. That is why others have stuck to: more boost, more fuel, and tuning.

It would be nice to see someone go through this. I know a few others have destroked and overbored Saab motors, GS comes to mind... I know others have overbored a 2.3 out to 2.5, Nordic comes to mind... So similar things have been done.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by liketheword; 12-24-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Elder

ed set his vig to about 2.5L with maptun stuff (if i recall)

from what i saw, i dont recall any crazy output, but it was cool

Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Elder

he told me he didnt want any more power because the chassis just cant take it

Old 12-24-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i think the chassis has trouble with the stock power levels....
Old 12-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #8
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Ed's stroker kit is on a viggen.... not a 9-5

The 9-5's chassis would be able to take it much easier however not sure with all the money it costs to do the kit that it is worth the investment. Probably get more then enough power just going with a gt3071r on a 2.3L motor, that's still 400+whp

Ed posts sometimes on saabnet, throw a post up there & I am sure he will give you a opinion of his setup.

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 12-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #9

AFAIK Ed's car was making plenty of Tq
http://genuinesaab.com/gallery/EdsViggen/Ed_Run9_001
which does much worse for the drivability than "power" taken out in a rpm range where the Tq does not "get out of hand".

But as always somekind of plan/ wish list what is wanted would be wise to make up first and the to choose the HW to meet up with the goal.
Through stroking and boring one will increase the displacement which usually reverts to lower spool/ capability to run more tq in lower revs, but if at the same time a turbo like a 15T is used I dont see much point when there is "more" than plenty happening in that area and needs to be limited through boost control. Of course if off-boost area is to interest then its an another story.

Know a few saabs in which the stroke has been increased by off-set grinding the orig crank i.e stroking it, here is one stroke 90-->94 mm
http://www.garaget.org/?car=38527
rods customs lenght, bore also 92mm = 2.5L engine

Last edited by Vigge; 12-25-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
Elder

thats interesting...didnt know you could grind the crank to make it 94mm.

do any pictures exist of it next to a stock one?

Old 12-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
thats interesting...didnt know you could grind the crank to make it 94mm.

do any pictures exist of it next to a stock one?
Some text about off-set griding the crank you will find here
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/09/stroker/

In the 9k the bearing size has been decreased 52 --> 48mm
Old 12-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
TSLMember

Cool True enough

It looks like i might have to go the route of decking and overbore. Off the top of any body's head is there someone who over bored and to what displacement. If 2.5 what size piston heads did they end up with?
Thanks again, i was searching and getting know where just wondering what was out there for out of the box. I don't get me wrong i don't mind custom either.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Elder

you need to find out how far you can bore a stock block before you can try 2.5.

i dont know any of the bore or limit numbers off the top of my head.

if the stroke is 90mm i believe you would need to go 3-4mm bigger on the bore, although im making that theory off another engine with 89mm stroke so i may be a tad off.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Elder

Biggest standard size i have seen is 1.0 over
Old 12-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Elder

so stock its square at 90x90

going to 91x90 would take the displacement from 2290.2 to 2341.4 cc's

Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Elder

Yup jsut about a 2.4

You can change the stroke using 235 rods and 234 psitons I think and bore over .9 ( or is it vica versa I can;t remember)
Old 12-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #17

Stroke is ruled by the crank... but comp ratio you can alter with piston/rod in a given engine
Old 12-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Over 93.5mm is a little sketchy. Sealing the head becomes tricky. We have done quite a few pistons in that range over the years. My belief as others now after seeing what my 2.0L does the plan was to make a 2.3L but keep the short stroke. I wanted to go this way on the drag car with the cometic gasket buy that ended poorly. Unless I want to buy 50-100 gaskets it is not happening.

Eds car had a very odd hardware combination. It was mostly custom shop stuff. It wanted a much bigger turbo to work right as we found playing with the cams...

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
Elder

so the stroke on the 2L is 78, so doing a 93x78 is only 2.1L

so how do you get to 2.3 keeping the 78 stroke?

Last edited by saabkid37; 12-26-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 AM   #20
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigge View Post
Stroke is ruled by the crank... but comp ratio you can alter with piston/rod in a given engine
However, as I'm sure you know, changing your compression via the rods is not a very good idea.

The 2.3 is a stroked 2.0 already, I just can't fathom why you'd want to do this.

This is about as silly as my idea to put 2.0 pistons in a 2.3.

Last edited by Raven18940; 12-29-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in