how much room for a FMIC? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
2000 9-5 FMIC install (with pictures)

...On the 00'
I want to keep AC, so I guess my main question is:
are the line flexible-enough to push the condenser back to the radiator, and put the IC out front?

I had seen on SC, where someone had cut the ends off their stock IC to support the condenser, but I'm hoping I can push it back to make space, and not have a zero-pressure area ahead of the radiator.

Has anyone had luck pushing the thing back?

I'm hoping to get this done this week, while I'm replacing the oil cooler I mangled.

Thanks!

-Craig R

Last edited by g96nt; 07-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to spgeebee88
it has a FMIC....

if you want a aftermarket one i know GS sells one as far as ebay intercoolers it will need some modification due to the way the condenser, intercooler, and rad are stacked, obviously
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Placing an intercooler behind the AC condenser of a car that uses the AC all the time might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a SAAB.

In either case, I have a leaking IC, spare IC's and pipes, a back-up car, and some time.
I'd like to get the IC I have, in there, but I just needed to know if the AC condensor can move at all, or if it's pretty well "stuck" where it is?

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #4

you might be able to bend it and fit a intercooler between the condenser and bumper

good luck!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Just buy the ETS intercooler. Its your best option. or you can hack something together. If you remove the intercooler from the stock location theres about 2.5 inches you can play with. You would have to figure a new mount system for the condenser as it is mounted to the stock intercooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Elder

Making a bracket's easy.
I'm not worried about that.
I can cut the pipes, and make a decent IC setup for cheap, too.

Dropping $600 on an IC doesn't do it for me.
Especially since I have spares, sitting in my garage.
I appreciate the advice, though.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #7

also the placement of the a/c dryer is going to make your life harder
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Bought one off of ebay and fitted it myself infront of my A/C condensor..wasn't that bad.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #9

^ well there ya go
Old 07-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I also just replaced my A/C condensor and Radiator...when I mounted the fmic I used the mounts from the horns and u relocated both horns. The thing you have to double check is that all the piping are tight.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

check the pics on my thread on how to mount a 600x300x76mm IC in front of the stack. not too tough a job.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Elder

I forget the size of my IC
I think it's 8x25 or something?

in either case, I pulled the oil-cooler down, and removed the a/c condensor from the IC, and lowered it.

Truthfully, the MAIN motivation here, was that my car slipped off the jack a while ago, and it crushed my oil cooler, condenser, and IC.
the condensor holds pressure fine, but the oil cooler was completely crushed (not leaking), and the IC bent pretty well, and I'm like 97.34% sure I have a leak in the stocker.

So, I have the stock IC removed, and the condenser against the radiator, it gives the extra 2" or so that I needed. I've gone ahead, and drilled holes in the header-panel to insert bolts to hold the spring-loaded brackets that hold the radiator in. (they rely on the rad, and IC to pre-load the spring.... no IC = sad bracket, and floppy Rad.

I made a quick bracket for the passenger-side, and the driver's side is turning out to be a PITA, since I don't have a vice to bend the 1/8" steel.
bending them with your hands is fun, but it never comes out perfect.

here's my bent stock IC:

my muckled oil cooler.

My new holes in the header panel:

little bracket, using original holes:

Once I clean it up, I'll take better pictures.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #13

Wow you really did a number on those with the jack. Are you going to post pictres of the IC mounted?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:10 AM   #14
Elder

Yeah... go big, or go home,right?

It fell because I had the E-brake on, and my floor isn't smooth(cinder block floor)
when you jack up a car, something has to move(the car, or the jack), and neither could.
I was walking away to grab the jack-stands, and it came crashing down.

when I got back under to see what happened, the jack was raised, and the oil cooler, and condenser looked like they did all they could to keep it from falling.

oh well...
Everyone makes mistakes, right?

this way, I get a nice front-mount out of the deal
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Elder

(sorry for the crappy pictures. the license plate was throwing off the camera)

where I had it mounted first, was a little too low.

so, I moved it up an inch:

Pushing back the condenser made PLENTY of room:

The biggest modification I've had to do was cut these brackets:

Tomorrow, I'll get the oil cooler mounted up, and then saturday, I'll make the pipes.

Before it goes all back together, I'm going to REALLY clean it up, tuck everything in, and do something similar to Nick's intake.

Last edited by g96nt; 07-09-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Elder

all done! sort of.
I had to find a temporary fix because I forgot that I gave some of my couplers, and bends to Jesse, but it's together how I want it. I'll be ordering the correct black couplers from SIS, monday.

So, I still don't know what size the IC was.
I think I remember it being 24x9x2.5
so, when all was done, I was able to use the stock rubber hose from the turbo to IC inlet, and then I just cut up some pipes I had kicking around, for the IC outlet, to the upper IC pipe.

looks good!

I had to bend some brackets to hang the IC, and bend brackets to hang the oil cooler, but everything went back together the same way it came apart!

if anyone wants instructions, or more details, PLEASE let me know. I'll be happy to share.
here's a couple quick pictures.

here it is, assembled, but with the bumper cover off.

This is the part I have to "fix" next week.
A section of straight pipe, and a coupler will do it juuuuuuust fine!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in