do I REALLLLLLLLLY need the new lines for the td04? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
do I REALLLLLLLLLY need the new lines for the td04?

Going from a gt17 to a td04... I've read in some places that you can just do some creative twists and be good to go.

Return line, I know can be "fixed", but the feed mentions being different.

Halp!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Elder

The only difference, at least from the t25 to the td04, is the oil return line which is a different size. Other than that, you will need some crush washers but you dont need new lines for the gt-17. (unless I am missing something)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
JK
Elder

You do REALLLLLLLLY need the oil return. Other than that there is only one other line that is different I believe (oil feed I think?) and that can be solved with the crush washers as already stated.

I think this has been hashed over hundreds of times...why can't anyone actually find this info?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
I searched.
all I found was links to the "conversion" parts on eeuroparts.
I wanted to see what a hack like me could do with what he's got.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Guys notice he has a 9-5 if that makes a difference. You are all talking about T25 to TD04 where he will be going from GT17 to TD04.

I wish I could be more help. I did a TD04 swap on my 9-5 but bought the lines from a smashed Aero. Further, the swap was done along with an engine rebuild and happened when we installed the motor. As a result, I had ALL the lines, and ended up just picking the ones that fit. I didn't know which ones were from which car.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Elder

when you lose all your oil, spin a crank bearing, and have to drop a new engine in, just remember you were trying to save $40
Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #7

gt17s use 13 mm coolant lines, tdo4's use 12mm or mainly just the Banjos. Large fuel Filter washers with the Rubber inside work Just Fine you Just need 4 Large Fuel washers and 2 new 12mm Banjos to fit the Tdo4. Thats worke Fine on my last three 95's

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 06-17-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Elder

Hah wut?
Trust me, guy; I can swing it.

I needed to know if the lines were outright wrong, or can be modified.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
gt17s use 13 mm coolant lines, tdo4's use 12 Lines or mainly just the Banjos. Large fuel Filter washers with the Rubber inside work Just Fine you Just need 4 Large Fuel washers and 2 new 12mm Banjos to fit the Tdo4. Thats worke Fine on my last three 95's

<3

a real answer.

thank you!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
You do REALLLLLLLLY need the oil return. Other than that there is only one other line that is different I believe (oil feed I think?) and that can be solved with the crush washers as already stated.

I think this has been hashed over hundreds of times...why can't anyone actually find this info?
Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
<3

a real answer.

thank you!
:sneeze: There was a real answer in my reply, maybe you missed it! You need the return, the other lines can be used with the correct washers.

<3

Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

I have the lines, with the banjo bolts and washers all you need to bolt on for 75 plus shipping if your interested please call me 1-800-saab-137 ask for kyle
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

Craig, for some reason my all-metal style td04 oil return did not seem like it was fitting right. I also had another td04 return (just the initial flange that attaches to the turbo) and re-used the gt-17 silicone center section and metal section that attaches to the block/oilpan. that was a snug fit and did the trick.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
SAABeginner

Send a message via ICQ to stipud Send a message via AIM to stipud Send a message via MSN to stipud
Hmm rubber coated washers on a turbo eh?? Have fun with that.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipud View Post
Do You Know where all the Other Rubber type parts are in a Tdo4? Hmmm?

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 06-17-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
You can cut the lines like you would brake line and flare it. Then you can swap around the ends as needed. Then run high temp hose in between. Be careful that you cut the lines so that when you place the hose in place it isn't at an odd angle. I have this issue w/ my lower coolant line a VERY VERY slow minor leak for the lower coolant line. I plan on just springing for a hardline shortly.

As for the washers they are brass. IIRC coolant washers have a rubber/teflon lip to the inner side of them... I don't recall the sizes just call-up the dealer and ask.

Last edited by liketheword; 06-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
JK
Elder

Quote:
Not rubber coated, they have a rubber inner lip.

Not sure what you see as the problem there. Its on the CHRA, not inside the exhaust housing

If you think the area around the banjo bolt is at a temp hot enough to melt that rubber then the car has some other major issues. You'd be flash boiling all the oil and coolant running thought there
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Not rubber coated, they have a rubber inner lip.

Not sure what you see as the problem there. Its on the CHRA, not inside the exhaust housing

If you think the area around the banjo bolt is at a temp hot enough to melt that rubber then the car has some other major issues. You'd be flash boiling all the oil and coolant running thought there
I find his handle to be ironic because of this.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #18
SAABeginner

Send a message via ICQ to stipud Send a message via AIM to stipud Send a message via MSN to stipud
Whatever, cheapskates. Go on feeling superior with your hacked together setup.

Gee Saab sure was stipud for using copper washers on the CHRA. They should've used rubberized FUEL FILTER washers like all the cool kids . Don't they know that all rubber is created equal!? Gawd.

Call Saabpro... $70 is not a lot to do the job properly.

Last edited by stipud; 06-17-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
Elder

I have buckets of banjo bolts, and crush washers.
I don't really need 5-page argument about that.
I need to know about the lines.

It seems it was answered, and I appreciate that.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
JK
Elder

Quote:
Whatever, cheapskates. Go on feeling superior with your hacked together setup.

Gee Saab sure was stipud for using copper washers on the CHRA. They should've used rubberized FUEL FILTER washers like all the cool kids . Don't they know that all rubber is created equal!? Gawd.

Call Saabpro... $70 is not a lot to do the job properly.
Not my setup stupid - sorry, stipud! I have OEM lines and braided lines on my cars, the OP was just wondering what it is possible to get away with, and this is possible.

Last edited by JK; 06-17-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: leave the name calling to stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in