GS Downpipe vs GS JT 3" Exhaust - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
GS Downpipe vs GS JT 3" Exhaust

So, my flexpipe is bad and the intermediate muffler is crusty and about to fall off, so might as well upgrade the exhaust.

Am I better off getting the Genuine Saab V2 Downpipe and (cutting out the intermediate muffler) and running the factory muffler?

OR

Do I go for the full JT 3" exhaust?

The full JT exhaust is cheaper than just the GS downpipe, anyone know if there's a difference in quality?

Also, GS is offering the full JT 3" exhaust with one or two mufflers. Can someone chime in here? I like a fair amount of exhaust noise/rumble, but I also live in a quiet neighborhood and return home late at night most nights. I also can't stand "drone" on the highway that a lot of aftermarket exhaust give. Is the single muffler just too loud?

Also, the JT system doesn't come with a cat. The T7 will throw a CEL without a cat, yes? Will a cheapo e-bay cat work just fine?

TIA,
-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Well the GS pipe is stainless steel so you wouldn't have to worry about it rusting out. The JT is aluminized steel which will eventually rust (how soon I don't know). From a JT downpipe that I've seen for a ng900/og9-3 in comparison to Nick's I'd take Nick's any day of the week. It smoother in terms of the flow pattern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
As far as longevity is concerned I wouldn't be too worried about the JT. The one on my 9000 is 6 years old. I think you'll also be fine with a catco or something similar (about $40-60 from Summit or Jegs).

Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
Elder

I have the JT DP in my 2000 have been running it for 4 yrs now its it rusty but the DP burns so hot that it really never get caked or flaky at all, the rest of my 3" exhasut is steel but it looks a little worse and have only been running it for 3 years... but not rusted through.

If you are think cash is an issue now but might not be in 4 or so years than I would say get the JT and if you still have and love the car in 4 year and have more cahs then buy SS.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
SAABeginner

Send a message via ICQ to stipud Send a message via AIM to stipud Send a message via MSN to stipud
Don't cheap out on the cat! It will be the main bottleneck of your system.

For example, Nick had issues with the Speedparts cats:
http://www.trolltuner.com/archives/2...ting_test.html
http://www.trolltuner.com/archives/2...essure_pt.html

A good 3" Magnaflow race cat shouldn't cost too much.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #6

I think I've decided on the full JT system.

As beautiful as the SS GS v2 Downpipe is, my exhaust is pretty ratty and I'm on a budget.

So now the question is one muffler or two... hmmmmm.

Anyone have experience with these?

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Gobes
I wish I would have waited and gotten the full JT exhaust instead of only the BSR cat-back for over $400...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
I don't know.... I had the JT on my 9K and it was cool. But now after having the BSR on my 9-5 I think I prefer that. Just enough to know its there and just enough to forget it. As far as quality I consider them equal.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
i would go for two, you can always cut one out if it isn't loud enough
Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
As far as longevity is concerned I wouldn't be too worried about the JT. The one on my 9000 is 6 years old. I think you'll also be fine with a catco or something similar (about $40-60 from Summit or Jegs).
mike, you only drive your 9000 in the summer with temperatures in the 90's, no rain and relative humidity in the 50's. not a fair comparison.

chris, if you are plan on keeping your 9-5 for 2 or more years.....go the stainless route. initial cost a bit tough to swallow but worth it in the long run. you will be glad you did.

I learned the hard way...twice...but i'm polish and sometimes it takes a bit to sink in.

my 9000 3" JT after 2 years

go stainless,
dave
Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Elder

wow thats ugly.

stainless does look good too........
Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Elder

Hey Dave...I actually put three winters on that exhaust. Two on my old 9000, one on the Aero

Old 03-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
Elder

you drove the aero in the winter?!?!

i think the world is going to implode.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

no way mike drove his newer 9000 in the winter. he is absolutely lying to us. his car looks better now than it did when it was new...if that's possible.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
SAAB Road Master

I went for the JT full 3 inch with two mufflers and like the way it sounds. It is louder but not to the point of being obnoxious. I bought the Catco converter from Summit. I did have an issue with it, it started to rattle internally after about a year. I was able to return it to Summit and they sent me a new one for free. No issues since then. I did have a hose pop off and didn't realize it for a while, not sure if that would have damaged the converter.

My exhaust is now 3 years old and in fine shape, but I only drive the car in the summer.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I would go for the 3" JT system with one muffler. I like louder exhausts.

Also, you need a 3" high flow cat to run with the 3" JT exhaust, not a factory cat.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
i would go for two, you can always cut one out if it isn't loud enough
Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveship View Post
mike, you only drive your 9000 in the summer with temperatures in the 90's, no rain and relative humidity in the 50's. not a fair comparison.

chris, if you are plan on keeping your 9-5 for 2 or more years.....go the stainless route. initial cost a bit tough to swallow but worth it in the long run. you will be glad you did.

I learned the hard way...twice...but i'm polish and sometimes it takes a bit to sink in.

my 9000 3" JT after 2 years

go stainless,
dave
I plan on keeping the car for....... as long as possible, another 5-8 years
seems reasonable. Hmmmmmmmmm, something to think about! Was that 2 years of driving the car through the winter though?

Quote:
wow thats ugly.

stainless does look good too........
$tainless $teel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Hey Dave...I actually put three winters on that exhaust. Two on my old 9000, one on the Aero
Quote:

Quote:
no way mike drove his newer 9000 in the winter. he is absolutely lying to us. his car looks better now than it did when it was new...if that's possible.
Haha, I don't believe this either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeym View Post
I went for the JT full 3 inch with two mufflers and like the way it sounds. It is louder but not to the point of being obnoxious. I bought the Catco converter from Summit. I did have an issue with it, it started to rattle internally after about a year. I was able to return it to Summit and they sent me a new one for free. No issues since then. I did have a hose pop off and didn't realize it for a while, not sure if that would have damaged the converter.

My exhaust is now 3 years old and in fine shape, but I only drive the car in the summer.
What hose popped off?

Yeah, I've talked to a few people that have been running JT systems for 5-6+ years and the pipes still look good. I also keep my Aero off the road during the winter, so I'm sure that will help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
I would go for the 3" JT system with one muffler. I like louder exhausts.

Also, you need a 3" high flow cat to run with the 3" JT exhaust, not a factory cat.
I already found a Magnaflow 3" cat (13" total length, 6" width) on ebay for $70 shipped!

As for the rusting issue... A few coats high temp paint???

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Yeah paint saves things, or at least prolongs the process of rusting.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Yeah paint saves things, or at least prolongs the process of rusting.
hmmmm....

I may just do that then!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #20
Elder

Quote:

Quote:
Nope, not a lie. First year I owned it (2005) I drove it that winter.

I was at the pay & spray once a week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in