GS Downpipe vs GS JT 3" Exhaust - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 AM   #41
Elder

POR 15 it, and you will pretty much be gauranteed never to have rust issues ever again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #42
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
POR 15 it, and you will pretty much be gauranteed never to have rust issues ever again
How do you intend to POR15 the inside of the tubing, where the rot will actually start?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 AM   #43
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Aerolike9 Send a message via MSN to Aerolike9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
So, I ordered the exhaust last weekend from GenuineSaab, went with the 2 muffler system. I'm gonna hit the whole thing with high-temp paint, most of my exhaust failures in the past have been external rust related.

I also scored a new magnaflow 3" cat on fleabay for not too much money.

There's 1-3 week ship time from Sweden... so now I'm playing the waiting game. The car's inspection runs out the end of this month so I am probably stuck taking my Camry to the next NESA meeting since I doubt I'll have the exhaust on the car+inspected/registered by the 4th.
Chris, let me know how it works out? I'm buying mine next month, I just don't want to get a CEL once I put it on no matter what I did on my 9000 I got a check engine light
1999 Saab 9-3-SOLD
1998 Saab 9000CSE-Sold
2001 Saab 9-3 Viggen Vert- Sold
Saab 9-5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
How do you intend to POR15 the inside of the tubing, where the rot will actually start?
If you drive the car long enough to get hot, you'll never have water in your exhaust. Short trips are as bad for exhausts as they are for engines.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #45
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
If you drive the car long enough to get hot, you'll never have water in your exhaust. Short trips are as bad for exhausts as they are for engines.
X2

I've never seen my exhausts rot from the inside out... my mufflers are always shiny on the inside after the shells have rusted out externally.

Living in the woods of Maine, I don't know the definition of a "short trip".

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #46
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Quote:
Living in the woods of Maine, I don't know the definition of a "short trip".

HAHA. Yeah...
Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #47

did you buy your JT with the Cat or the one with out the cat on GS ?
1999 Saab 9-3-SOLD
1998 Saab 9000CSE-Sold
Saab 9-5
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #48
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
So, I ordered the exhaust last weekend from GenuineSaab, went with the 2 muffler system. I'm gonna hit the whole thing with high-temp paint, most of my exhaust failures in the past have been external rust related.

I also scored a new magnaflow 3" cat on fleabay for not too much money.

There's 1-3 week ship time from Sweden... so now I'm playing the waiting game. The car's inspection runs out the end of this month so I am probably stuck taking my Camry to the next NESA meeting since I doubt I'll have the exhaust on the car+inspected/registered by the 4th.

1-3 weeks, my ass
Did you get yours installed, yet?

I put pictures/video of mine up.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #49
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
as i recall he was shipped the wrong exhaust.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #50

i got mine installed and its rubbing on a bolt under the car...
1999 Saab 9-3-SOLD
1998 Saab 9000CSE-Sold
Saab 9-5
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #51
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Wolf Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
My exhaust after 100,000K miles and 7 winters in NH rotted from the outside in due to water, salt and that lovely crap that exists on roads in NH.

High temp paint, if done correctly will keep an exhaust from rotting on the outside. Then you will have to worry about rot coming from the inside out.

2000 Saab 9-5 Sedan- Silver
2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon- White
2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon- Steel Grey
2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan- Steel Grey
2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan- Cosmic Blue
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #52

glad i found this thread as ive been thinking about a full JT exhaust.

midwest peeps chime in....will i be alright putting this on a DD that i keep pretty clean during the winter?

being in WI i technically dont need a cat...BUT....will i need it for my o2 sensors? (i have a 01 vert SE)

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 12-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #53

You would be A-Okay with the JT system. Only reason I didn't get it for mine is because it was on backordered for months and then I got a killer deal on a used GS stainless system.

I had made a similar thread wondering about how the JT would hold up in salt, and the consensus was that it has lasted for years for some people.

Your rear O2 could be turned off via T7 Suite...but I'm not sure how the T7 works with the two cats.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:11 AM   #54
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
The Christmas season seems to be going well for me, lots of overtime and a bonus on the way. I think I'm going to treat myself to a GS Downpipe and finally get the car retuned. If I could get just the JT DP I probably would, but I have no interest in the entire JT exhaust system. Aside from it being a tad on the pricey side, I've heard nothing but great things about the GS pipe. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #55
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
the second 02 can be removed in software on both t5 and t7 cars so no big deal if it lacks a cat..

T7 does not use the second 02 to adjust fueling if the proper software changes have been made

i work under the logic of get the single muffler, and add one in if its to loud!

as far as quality is concerned,, ive always DIYed the downpipe, then seen a custom exhaust shop for the rest.
if i was truly worried about quality, i would coat the system with some cheap high temp (typically gas grill) spray paint, it seams to add 2-4 years of life to the system..

Last edited by mike d; 12-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #56

Just realized this is the 9-5 section (im smart). Oh well, it still works haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveiron9688 View Post
You would be A-Okay with the JT system. Only reason I didn't get it for mine is because it was on backordered for months and then I got a killer deal on a used GS stainless system.

I had made a similar thread wondering about how the JT would hold up in salt, and the consensus was that it has lasted for years for some people.

Your rear O2 could be turned off via T7 Suite...but I'm not sure how the T7 works with the two cats.
Yeah i was talking about the o2 stuff with Logan, it sounds like everything will work out ok.
We all know how clean i keep my cars, being this is going on a vert ill want to keep as much salt off the car, especially the top, as i can, so rusting SHOULDNT be an issue....right away. Oh and im going catless, and doing the 2 muffler set-up. I figure without the cat, would probably be too annoying with the 1 muffler system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
the second 02 can be removed in software on both t5 and t7 cars so no big deal if it lacks a cat..

T7 does not use the second 02 to adjust fueling if the proper software changes have been made

i work under the logic of get the single muffler, and add one in if its to loud!

as far as quality is concerned,, ive always DIYed the downpipe, then seen a custom exhaust shop for the rest.
if i was truly worried about quality, i would coat the system with some cheap high temp (typically gas grill) spray paint, it seams to add 2-4 years of life to the system..
T7 programming wont be an issue.

Im probably going to give it a coat of high-temp paint for good measure.

Although, one question i do have, the JT system does NOT come with the o2 bungs does it? Id have to create my own?

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Old 12-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #57
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i would assume a full exhaust comes with atleast one 02 bung,, if not im sure every person who ever purchased on would complain very quickly..
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #58
Elder

I Prefer MikeD's Method, because it usually works out nicely. You buy Mandrel Bends, Muffler, Pipe, and a Mig Welder..... After the Exhaust is done you get a free welder out of the deal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in