TDO4 is not in..... - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

TDO4 is not in.....

well my gt17 decides to go before i was able to do the TDO4 swap....so now im forced to do it sooner.

I took the old Gt17 out this morning and i may have gotten some incorrect info regarding the swap....now i have two turbos and neither are in the car!

i tried to bolt on the oil feed line for about 40 minutes until my arms got too tired and i had to cuss like a sailor! ha

matched the gt17 up next to the td04 and the gt17 has bigger 14mm banjos all the way around.

therefore turbo swap is on hold until i get two m12mm banjos, crush washers and new aero oil feed line!
For reference, my tdo4 is off of a 2003 9-5 Aero and im putting it into a 1999-9-5 lpt.

Last edited by dasaabguy; 05-17-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #2

Ah crap... that sucks Andrew. Sorry I couldn't make it out to help... though it looks like it wouldn't have mattered much heh.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #3

ya no worries......once i get the correct parts it shouldnt take to long to put it back together!

Old 05-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Elder

There is a lot of info right here on this site.. Myself and lots more have done it! There is a thread that STx made.

I had to buy the smaller banjos off a local shop... I just fabbed up oil lines by hacksawing the ends off and running high pressure tubing between the ends and clamping it all down well. No leaks, no problems and about 4000 miles on the turbo
now.

You have to get the washers (make sure they are new) and the bolt half way in before the lines block your access, then tighten them down about a 1/20th of a turn at at a time with a wrench. Its really tight... The good thing about my cop out tubing method is you do not have to a) buy lines and b) run the tubing til the turbo is back in the car. b) allows you to bolt all the lines to the turbo with out of the car, then you just run the lines once you are back in!

Make sure the oil return out of the turbo is a solid connection, that is one you don't want to lose!

Good luck mr. dasaabguy !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I have an Aero oil feed line - pm me if you're interested .....
Old 05-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #6

new oil line and m12mm banjo's have arrived....im gonna pick them up today and install them this weekend. I'll let you guys know how everything bolts up!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #7

ok so i scored an Aero cobra pipe....the pipe is significantly different at that curved neck.

also i scored another one of the water lines......2 lines have to be swapped to do it right. So far here is the parts list i needed to due the GT17 to TDO4 swap on a 99 9-5

Banjo bolts m12mm - 2
water out line td04 - 1
water in line td04 - 1
turbo to manifold aluminum gasket - 1
air return line o ring - 1
oil return gasket td04 - 1
oil return oring td04 - 1
12mm crush washers - 8
14mm crush washers - 2
16mm crush washers - 2

turbo is up and bolted to the manifold hand tight the down pipe is bolted hand tight ....now i have to get in there and bolt down them banjo's! Heres the time i really wish i had small flexible hands! lol

Last edited by dasaabguy; 06-03-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #8

holy crap....NOTE TO SELF DO NOT ACCIDENTLY BEND ANY OF THE TURBO LINES WHEN INSTALLING ...it took me about 2.5 hours to line up the water line i had slightly bent when i put the turbo up to the manifold.

i should have it finished by the weekend, will post up results!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #9

SHow me!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaabguy View Post
ok so i scored an Aero cobra pipe....the pipe is significantly different at that curved neck.
also i scored another one of the water lines......2 lines have to be swapped to do it right. So far here is the parts list i needed to due the GT17 to TDO4 swap on a 99 9-5

Banjo bolts m12mm - 2
water out line td04 - 1
water in line td04 - 1
turbo to manifold aluminum gasket - 1
air return line o ring - 1
oil return gasket td04 - 1
oil return oring td04 - 1
12mm crush washers - 8
14mm crush washers - 2
16mm crush washers - 2

turbo is up and bolted to the manifold hand tight the down pipe is bolted hand tight ....now i have to get in there and bolt down them banjo's! Heres the time i really wish i had small flexible hands! lol
and where did you get tha parts?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #10

picked it up from some old man down the street! lol

nah.......... ELITE AUTO PARTS always comes through! Steve and Nacho are a great bunch of guys! That Aaron guy is alright too!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaabguy View Post
picked it up from some old man down the street! lol

nah.......... ELITE AUTO PARTS always comes through! Steve and Nacho are a great bunch of guys! That Aaron guy is alright too!

don't forget the "junkyard" dog - needs a hug!

and a t-bone steak!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #12

tdo4 is in!!!! fired up the car and everything seems fine! No check engine light, no leaks...engine sounds fine! I did notice some oily deposits coming out of the tailpipe but that may have been cause when the old GT17.

I used fully synthetic mobile 1 5w30 oil. i let the car run for about 30 minutes and topped off he coolant tank. I still have yet to test drive it.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #13

update.....i drove the car last week around the neighborhood taking it real easy.....i had no problems, no check engine light.

So i get a little braver this weekend and tried some WOT down a back road. Check engine light came on....and the throttle seems to be stuck. When i came to a stop the car was idling real high......I brought it back to the house and backed it into the garage. When shifting it into reverse it still idled high and caused the transmission to shift hard.

what could it be?

stuck wastegate?
stuck throttle?

im going to try and retreive the code and then reset the ecu.....

Last edited by dasaabguy; 06-18-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #14

Any update andrew? Did you get it worked out?

Tboy
Old 06-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

yeah curious about this one. is the car a auto or stick?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 06-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #16

update guys... I started the car again after resetting the ecu by unplugging the battery for a few minutes. The car still idled high....I tapped the accelerator pedal and it dislodged it must of dislodged the idle because it went back to just under 1000 rpms. It appears the accelerator got stuck somehow. Anyhow i thought everything was good and I took the car out again. As soon as the car got hot...threw a CEL and the car started to die out.....it was idling at about 500 rpms.

Today I rented an OBDII reader...and pulled the code, i believe it was P1271 or P1251 (i can't remember exactly) anyhow it appears to be an air/fuel metering code.

Not sure what i need to swap now but i sprayed the TB with some Electric cleaner and the plugs to the MAF with some cleaner also.

ideas???

Last edited by dasaabguy; 06-23-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #17

I have wednesday and thursday off, we could try swapping some parts. MAF maybe? *shrug*
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
I think it's your throttle body and/or tb o rings

Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
I have wednesday and thursday off, we could try swapping some parts. MAF maybe? *shrug*
i have a spare MAF in the garage.....however after talking to steve H, he seems to think its a TB trouble code.....

has anyone had a similar issue when doing a turbo swap? or has anyone seen a link between a faulty turbo leading to a faulty TB? There was some oily moisture around the TB cap and plug.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Where did you buy your turbo from? Since I got my turbo installed I never got any problems. I don't see why this is happening to you. Sorry man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in