9-5 rear sway bar now available - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

9-5 rear sway bar now available

I'm not really trying to give a plug here, but I know there are 9-5 enthusiasts out there who'd like to know that an uprated rear sway bar (22mm) is now available. I plan on picking one of these up this summer since the base 9-5 rolls like a boat.

sasab.com has them
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
Trollerator
Elder

nice, thanks, i am gonna check that out!

this is not saabnet it's totally appreciated to let us know of new products

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Finish the front bar, with my lowered and stiff shocks it's become very apparent that I need sway bar front and back.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Cool. Do you know what size the 04 Aero rear bar is? That has been an upgrade to the earlier cars for a while.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #5

The rear bar is the same on all the aeros, roughly 17mm.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

cool so for an 04 aero this is an upgrade. Nice.

put one on my wish list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Awesome!
I will order one as soon as I start working again.

Runs to sasaab to check price

Edit: $180 for the bar and poly bushings isn't really all that bad. AND it says that they are currently testing the front bar :P

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 03-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Be careful when adding a rear bar and not the front as well. You will experience some strange handling characteristics when stiffening the rear.

Too stiff a rear bar in a front-wheel drive will result in a much higher likelihood of a spin if you lift-off mid-corner. A soft rear bar also results in plenty of understeer Ė something which is good for safety in the averagely-driven commuter car. However, if you donít go to extremes, itís quite possible to gain better turn-in and much improved mid-corner balance with a bigger rear bar. (Or the installation of one where none previously existed!) Youíll also find that the car can be much better throttle-steered Ė back-off the throttle a little and the rear will come out gradually; get back on the power and the car will follow the cornering line.

The acid test is cornering on a wet road with a load in the back Ė you donít want the rear so stiff that a slight throttle lift will cause the car to spin. But to get this effect in an otherwise standard car, you usually have to make a radical difference to rear sway bar size.

Note that a front-wheel drive with an over-stiff rear sway bar (or more correctly, too high a total rear roll stiffness) will feel great up to 8/10ths Ė turn-in will be sharp and the car will sit flat. But go that extra step and you can be bitten. In standard cars weíve only ever experienced this once Ė but that car could spin literally in its own length.... see the end of New Car Test - Piloting the 1999 Hyundai FX Coupe.

We donít want to frighten you Ė make the modification with common sense and youíve nothing to worry about. But there is a reason that 99 per cent of manufacturers donít go over-stiff with the rear... and itís something you should know about.
Autospeed.com
Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

point well taken. I think that a bigger rear sway bar is well thought out, but testing needs to be done to verify this. The rear tires on a 9-5 are very under utilized, even in normal driving. After 8k miles, the rear tires on my 9-5 look new while the fronts are almost done. Plus the amount of body roll really disorients the driver.

I don't think a 22mm bar is to dangerous considering many people put that on their NG900/9-3 and we don't here about them totaling their cars.

I wish I could do skidpad tests in parking lots lol.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroauto View Post
Be careful when adding a rear bar and not the front as well. You will experience some strange handling characteristics when stiffening the rear.

Too stiff a rear bar in a front-wheel drive will result in a much higher likelihood of a spin if you lift-off mid-corner. A soft rear bar also results in plenty of understeer Ė something which is good for safety in the averagely-driven commuter car. However, if you donít go to extremes, itís quite possible to gain better turn-in and much improved mid-corner balance with a bigger rear bar. (Or the installation of one where none previously existed!) Youíll also find that the car can be much better throttle-steered Ė back-off the throttle a little and the rear will come out gradually; get back on the power and the car will follow the cornering line.

The acid test is cornering on a wet road with a load in the back Ė you donít want the rear so stiff that a slight throttle lift will cause the car to spin. But to get this effect in an otherwise standard car, you usually have to make a radical difference to rear sway bar size.

Note that a front-wheel drive with an over-stiff rear sway bar (or more correctly, too high a total rear roll stiffness) will feel great up to 8/10ths Ė turn-in will be sharp and the car will sit flat. But go that extra step and you can be bitten. In standard cars weíve only ever experienced this once Ė but that car could spin literally in its own length.... see the end of New Car Test - Piloting the 1999 Hyundai FX Coupe.

We donít want to frighten you Ė make the modification with common sense and youíve nothing to worry about. But there is a reason that 99 per cent of manufacturers donít go over-stiff with the rear... and itís something you should know about.
Autospeed.com
A good warning, but I think most of the people lusting after this mod know this. I want stiffer bars all around, my 01 spec front bar is especially bad. I've got waaaaay too much body roll.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

I hear ya Raven, just thought I'd make everyone aware of the side effects. I for one can't wait till mine gets here, nothing like throttle steering
Old 03-14-2008, 03:11 AM   #12

I think I'm gonna wait for a front and rear kit, putting a rear bar on my car now would make for death.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Ya, but don't you want to drift?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

I want to get front and rear as well to pair with my G&M(swedish) / H&R spring setup and Konis. I've heard that the front ARB install is a monster though. Anybody have any info about this? Cheers.

|
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #15
Trollerator
Elder

I thought I read somewhere that the subframe needs to come off fro the front. Maybe I am thinking of something else.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

Yesterday I put the car up on the lift to check out the sway bars and how much work it was going to be. The front will be a huge PITA but the rear won't be so bad. On the rear all you need to remove is the under-axle exhaust pipe and it will drop right out. The front on the other hand will definitely need a little more work. We will see when there is one(front bar) actually available.
TOM
Old 03-19-2008, 03:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the subframe needs to come off fro the front. Maybe I am thinking of something else.
That's the easiest way to install the bar itself, but the most work I'm sure.

I hear you can snake the thing in there if you take out one of the front struts.

Fong, any idea when abouts we'll be seeing a front sway bar for the 9-5? Not gonna hold you to it or anything, just an estimate.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

eh...i am not associated with sasab lol. I was just excited to see someone make this. I too would prefer both installing both bars at the same time.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 AM   #19

Hmmmmm, I shall hassle them then.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #20
TSLMember

This is a fairly common mod on a lot of very front-heavy FWD cars, such as VR6-equipped VW's. Some aftermarket suspension tuners such as Dick Shine actually remove the front bar altogether.

If the 9-5 was natively lift-off tailhappy with its OEM suspension geometry, in the same way a stock Subaru is, I'd advise against this mod without other accompanying suspension mods + uprated tires. As it is, I'd doubt this would radically change the character of these understeering pigs.

...be seeing you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in