99 9-5, b234 swap - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
Elder

99 9-5, b234 swap

so do to my misfortune i am most likely selling my 91 9000T...
i have an oportunity to buy a 99 9-5 with a blown engine, knocks like a bastard...
im figureing that a B234 swap is cheaper then a b235 engine..
is the basic procedure to gut the b234 to the block, and bolt the 9-5 head, oil pan, turbo, ect to it...

now, say i did all this and make it run.. the car is an auto, im told its a much better auto the the 9ks, but how much better... can it withstand the torture of stg3/4 programming without exploding.. since its T5 im sure i can run a true BOV,
so thats a plus, i like useless noises.

im pretty sure that if this happens, it wont be a "keeper" car, and it will be up for resale after its on the road as i would be up for a good amount of profit (as im practicly stealing the car), but id like to have some fun with it before i let it go..
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I certainly don't know the answers to your questions, but I will say that a 9-5 is T7, not T5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Elder

also, would this be equipped with a GT17 or T25, i imagine it would be swapped to a Td04 pretty quick.
yes this is a 4 cyl, incase i failed to mention..
5 speed conversion is pretty rough in these things i gather.
JP

Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Elder

99 is the last year of T5, no airmass..IIRC

for 99 the only t7 cars were viggens i think..
JP

Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
99 9-5 is definitely T7, trust me.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Elder

99 9-5 is T7, 99 *9-3* was T5

The turbo is the craptastic GT17... if its original and has more than 75k, Garrett would probably like it back to see what went 'wrong'

You would not want to swap the trans, especially being able to sell it for a profit, take your profit and buy what you want!
Maptun has some Stg 4 9-5 Autos. Flush that fluid every year.

If you change your mind... I'd buy it... I've got a lonely B234
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

HA a lonely B234 would have plenty of company at my house!

Depending on the rest of the car, I would go for it. I bought a 99 9-5 about 6 months ago with a bad engine (hole in block) and am just getting to it now.

ALL 9-5's were T-7. The lpt was 170 hp and had a GT17. Aero was something like 220-230 and used the TDO4. The diff between aero and LPT is only software and turbo (power wise).

I'm finding that B234 motors aren't as cheap and plentiful as they might once have been. I was quoted 800 for a short block with a supposed 60K miles on it (yeah right, they all have 60K!!). Have you thought about rebuilding the one you have? Thats what I like to do. Its fun, and you are ensured of getting a good motor once you are done!

Tboy
Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #8

ohh, I was going to say, ask abduketed about stage 3 autos. His 9-3 was at least stage 3.

Tboy
Old 11-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I didn't think there were any Aero's in 1999?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post

Im unclear on that as well. I think i've heard there is, but I am not sure.

It doesen't matter anyway since the hardware is all the same through the years. You can aeroize your lpt! Thats what I am planning to do!

Tboy
Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
There were none. 2000 was the first year. T7 was only found first in Viggens and the 2.3 LPT 9-5 in 99'.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
The diff between aero and LPT is only software and turbo (power wise).
and the different fuel injectors.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
and the different fuel injectors.
... in 99... 2000 up all 9-5 s have the same injectors...
Old 11-03-2007, 05:33 AM   #14
Elder

Touche' !
Old 11-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #15
Elder

well, if i get the car and a b234 block, it would get all new seals and bearings, but keep stock rings and such. dont want to pay for them

but to run a b234 block inmy car i need nothing other then the block correct?

stg3 would mean a real IC, a 3 inch exaust and a real turbo correct.
if the gt17 is still alive would it be worth anything.
Ic would be random front mount off ebay, turbo would be a td04, and 3 inch pipes would be another garage custom job..
then 800 bucks for a tune, thats pretty sickening..but hey, 1400 bucks into more performance doesnt sound too bad, bbut ill be impressed if it would keep up with my 91, let alone take it.
JP

Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Voice of reason chiming in here; perhaps stating the obvious, but I haven't seen any mention of these important facts in the course of this thread:

1. Make sure the B234 block is out of a 1994-1998 9000, the earlier B234s are physically different and will not fit in the engine bay of a 9-5 or mate to its transmission.

2. 9-5's have a front mount intercooler regardless of being LPT or Aero, it's sandwiched in there and is plenty big.

3. If that GT-17 isn't smoking (haha fat chance), I'm sure a high-mileage 9-5 driver with a smoking GT-17, no interest in seeking out a TD04 and mild tune would be interested.

CL

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 11-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
Elder

maybe ill get lucky and the turbo was already swapped, maybe the previous owner pocketed up for a gt2871 errr not but its fun to pretend.

yes, i am aware that a t5 b234 would be nessesary.

i was under the impression that it was a double pass job of a FMIC, u kno, inlet and outlet on the same side, or was that the 9-3/ng thing, i think it was, but idk. ether way a bigger FMIC never hurt anyone, to my knowledge..

im pretty certain id throw the b234 in and get everything up to par, then start throwing in the fun parts... so ill be sure to see if the gt17 is smoking or not,

or would the better option be to sell it and buy a 9k aero. definatly more comfortable with the 9ks, not so scared of the heaterbox, and the sid dieing.. and 9ks dont eat the inside of the rear tires like the ngs and everything 99+.
JP

Old 11-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green9kAERO View Post
i was under the impression that it was a double pass job of a FMIC, u kno, inlet and outlet on the same side, or was that the 9-3/ng thing, i think it was, but idk. ether way a bigger FMIC never hurt anyone, to my knowledge..
No it is not double pass also it is not bar and plate and does not flow that well, better to upgrade. FMIC can be done pretty cheaply.

Quote:
or would the better option be to sell it and buy a 9k aero. definatly more comfortable with the 9ks, not so scared of the heaterbox, and the sid dieing.. and 9ks dont eat the inside of the rear tires like the ngs and everything 99+.
JP
OOO the sid dying, that's a reason to be scared???? Your talking about a swap and th estupid SID is a big worry??? Yeah if you can't read the SID you might as well give the car away... or pop th eSID and DIY fix ro spend a whole 100 to get it fixed with lifetime warranty...

ANd the heater box fix, an hour or so under the dash scare you too? and you can always take out the neg camber, the car won't be great in the twisties after that but your tires will last ( of course the will if you rotate every 3-5K oil change that'l work too...
Old 11-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #19
Elder

wow those are cheaper then i expected...
you almost make it sound as if i could afford to maintain a 9-5...
on the edge about it, i do like the comfort much better then my 91, but it doesnt have the obnoxious styling i like.. doesnt seem like i can source used parts as easy.

its not the hour under the dash im worried about, im scared that all those stupid "pop" pins and such are going to "snap" and stuff wont go in like it came out.

engine swap is old science, i been doing that since i was 12... but the rest is kinda new to me...not use to a car this advanced.

now, the idea of tuning a t7 isnt as appealing as im finding that the tunes are pretty expensive... keep in mind im a teenager with a lack of funds. is it even possible to tune with a gt17, comeon ive seen that compressor, i cant imagine its not working to all of its efficiancy to produce the 170 hp the car is rated at... I thought because it was an SE i was suppose to be atleast 200hp.. depressing.
ehh time will tell. Need tobias to come threw with the money for my car so i can get things rolling.
JP

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #20
Elder

Quote:
now, the idea of tuning a t7 isnt as appealing as im finding that the tunes are pretty expensive... keep in mind im a teenager with a lack of funds. is it even possible to tune with a gt17, comeon ive seen that compressor, i cant imagine its not working to all of its efficiancy to produce the 170 hp the car is rated at... I thought because it was an SE i was suppose to be atleast 200hp.. depressing.
JP
No and SE is just a styling package in 99..

But I had a stage III tune on my GT17 and it was supposed to be 260HP, but it ran out of breath at about 5K. Yo can soemtimes get a used tuned ECU for liek 350-500 ( I sold mine for 250 and the new owners old ECU) MAybe Deloean will sell my od one to you when he goes to the TD04. You can also get one of those 200 HP Saab ECUs that were sold for 10 bucks at SOC ( required no hardware) for like 100 on line somewhere. Look around on ebay..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in