Help make my car a roll monster! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to Icerider2001
Help make my car a roll monster!

Ok right now I have an 03' 9-5 Aero 5spd with an ebay M3 style c/f lip, intake, trans mount and just ordered vented rotors and better pads. I want to make my car a roll monster seing that the trans sucks. I also want to keep it under or around $3000.

Right now im thinking

-GS Dual Exhaust
-race Cated rp
-Nordic ECU
-Fordge 007
-Turbo inlet pipe
and if there is money left I would also consider going for an turbo housing swap but im not sure how much it would give me.

Would u guys suggest anything different? And on this setup what type of hp/tq would u figure I would be looking at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
JK
Elder

I don't think its going to be a "monster" for that amount of money, but you should be able to get to around stage 4 - around 300bhp, which is probably the most you can safely expect from the stock internals on a Trionic 7 motor.

Last edited by JK; 10-26-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: dur
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Bigger injectors, an upgraded Fuel Pressure Regulator, and a 3" downpipe with give you more bang for your buck with the Nordic ECU upgrade. IIRC the turbo inlet pipe is down the list a but on issues to deal with when it comes to more power.

EDIT - I assume you've already done the GS open air intake? Absolutely mandatory before you do the other stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregabbott View Post
Bigger injectors, an upgraded Fuel Pressure Regulator, and a 3" downpipe with give you more bang for your buck with the Nordic ECU upgrade. IIRC the turbo inlet pipe is down the list a but on issues to deal with when it comes to more power.

EDIT - I assume you've already done the GS open air intake? Absolutely mandatory before you do the other stuff.
Really? I would have thought downpipe and wheel/compressor housing would be most bang for the buck...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
TSLMember

yep already have an open intake. I shouldnt have said monster lol (certainly I dont expect 500bhp like some people have) but hell to most ppl +300bhp to the front wheels is a monster +1 for Saabs

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
If I had $3000 to spend on my 9-5 Aero, I'd do exhaust (~$1000), Downpipe (~$500 stainless), Injectors/Fuel Press Regulator, and a stage 3/4 tune from the tuner of your choice (in my case probably SQR, since Automotion is 90 minutes from my house). Then, If I had any money left over, I'd focus on the brakes/suspension. But I'd make it go fast first, the brakes/suspension on the aero aren't too bad to begin with.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
Or... Paint you car black, go trade it with Daveship's car in the middle of the night... he'll never know, and then you'll have an aggressive tune... or so I hear!

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 10-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to Cambiocorsa Send a message via MSN to Cambiocorsa
You are going to be very hard pressed to fit all those goodies in under $3000. But good luck, that will make your car a force to reckoned with. And instead of the intake pipe, I would recommend the '06 conversion kit for the turbo. It is the best flowing intake for the TD-04 turbo. Keep in mind that Nordic software is going to be the most expensive part on that list of mods.

1999 Saab 9-5 SE Sedan
JakStoll Stage 3+
Old 10-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
dip
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
If you're on a budget, why bother with a dual exhaust? It's still 2.5" in the middle, so it wouldn't give you much of a benefit over the single muffler version except for the looks. This will save you $200, which you can spend on the king cobra kit.

And stage4 will not give you 300 whp. 300 crank at best. Not unless you get a bigger turbo.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
TSLMember

to be honest its mostly the fact that i think that 9-5's look a million times nicer with the duals. I actually think that exhausts are over rated in general. Out of curiousity why would you say I would be lucky to hit those numbers when hersh gives u the same stuff and u get 305hp

Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerider2001 View Post
Out of curiousity why would you say I would be lucky to hit those numbers when hersh gives u the same stuff and u get 305hp
I think what dip means is that 300 crank horsepower (equals bout 270 wheel horsepower) might be achievable. For 300 at the wheels, you need to write a bigger check.

Most of the tuners, when they publish figures, publish crank horsepower numbers because they sound better.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #12
JK
Elder

He was saying you'd be lucky to get it all done for $3000.

I'd say stage 4 can be done for $3000, no problem, however I'm notr sure how well the stock clutch holds up with that power. I tend to think it's better than the stock 9000 clutches that I've dealt with, so you'll probably be OK.

If you do run into a slipping clutch the parts alone for that will be several hundered more, and if you can't install it yourself just tack another $600-1000 onto that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen Dave View Post

Most of the tuners, when they publish figures, publish crank horsepower numbers because they sound better.
And because auto manufacturers publish crank/flywheel HP numbers on their motors, and when selling tunes it makes it easier to compare to stock power when you are esimating power at the crank/flywheel, same as the car manufacturer does.

Last edited by JK; 10-26-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
TSLMember

I have been told that the stock Aero clutch is good to 350 hp. What do you guys feel is the max hp that can be achieved from the stock turbo?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icerider2001 View Post
I have been told that the stock Aero clutch is good to 350 hp. What do you guys feel is the max hp that can be achieved from the stock turbo?
Around 300-320bhp is all that stock TD04hl 15T can take, and that is pushing it, probably working outside of its efficiency range.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
He was saying you'd be lucky to get it all done for $3000.

I'd say stage 4 can be done for $3000, no problem, however I'm notr sure how well the stock clutch holds up with that power. I tend to think it's better than the stock 9000 clutches that I've dealt with, so you'll probably be OK.

If you do run into a slipping clutch the parts alone for that will be several hundered more, and if you can't install it yourself just tack another $600-1000 onto that.

And because auto manufacturers publish crank/flywheel HP numbers on their motors, and when selling tunes it makes it easier to compare to stock power when you are esimating power at the crank/flywheel, same as the car manufacturer does.

My stock clutch is original with 53k miles(25k of it at stage 3 or above) and it hasn't slipped.

You aren't going to see more than 270whp with tune, downpipe, intercooler, inlet, exhaust. My stage 4 is in the 255-270whp range. I am out of bolt ons for now. Its time for turbo and pistons. But stage 3-4 can be done for $3k.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
To me if you are going to get this done to make it a fun street fighter I would go a little something like this.

1. Custom Exhaust from a local speed shop (shoud run $500 or so)
2. Take the turbo and have it rebuilt to a 19T (Blousch or Gpopshop $275)
3. 3" Downpipe
4. 3.5Bar FPR ($45 online from the V'dub world)
5. Custom Tune for the 19T ($1200 or so)
6. Upgraded brakes and suspension if budget allows

Just a rough list of how I would go forward.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #17

I can't believe no one(aside from jameson, who wasn't actually suggesting mods) mentioned the intercooler... That is by far the weak link in the Aero IMO.

I would otherwise agree with Steve, just add that the I/C is a must.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
My stage 4 is in the 255-270whp range. I am out of bolt ons for now. Its time for turbo and pistons. But stage 3-4 can be done for $3k.
Turbo is a bolt on.

It's time Jameson. Get an aggressive tune too.

Oh and x2 on the 300whp SAAB being 'Monster territory' for most... That is a fast car.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
Turbo is a bolt on.

It's time Jameson. Get an aggressive tune too.

Oh and x2 on the 300whp SAAB being 'Monster territory' for most... That is a fast car.
Turbo is a bolt on, pistons are not. A nice sized turbo without pistons on a Viggen isn't a good idea.

I wouldn't call 300whp a monster. I would call it quick.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero02 View Post
I can't believe no one(aside from jameson, who wasn't actually suggesting mods) mentioned the intercooler... That is by far the weak link in the Aero IMO.

I would otherwise agree with Steve, just add that the I/C is a must.

Yeah forgot the FMIC there.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in