GS Free-Flow Air, Headlight, Trans Mount - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9-5

Performance Modifications for the 9-5 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the 9-5. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
GS Free-Flow Air, Headlight, Trans Mount

So I ordered the Genuine Saab free flow 9-5 intake for my Aero the other day, along with that tranny mount insert that I've read so many good things about. I tried to take the headlight assembly out the other day for a completely different reason and I couldn't figure it out. I unscrewed the torx on the top and then didn't see where to go from there. My 9000 headlight came out in about ten seconds, but everything here is squeezed into a tight spot. Also, any advice on the install of both the free-flow and the tranny mount insert?
thanks

PS: I can't wait to hear my Turbo

PPS: I can't wait to be able to shift at WOT without feeling like I'm ripping the gearshift apart!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

What year is your car? on the 02 + you have to take the side grills out (just pull) and ther is another bolt their. Their is also a bolt on the turn signal side, just pull that out as well and their is the last bolt, 3 in all, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Those mods you bought are a great starting place, i have both and they are awesome.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Avid TSL User

I just did that same intake it sounds so awsome and dont forget to reset the system, i had my tranny mount and i come home from work one day and my damn dog 98lbs black lab ate the box and the mount chewed it to peices. but any way you will like that intake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #4

I'm so excited... I my father called me and told me I got a big package (my intake). I'm gonna drive out there to my parent's and install it tomorrow night after work!!!

I'm assuming the filter is like any K&N drop-in, in that it comes pre-oiled? Or am I way off base?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Elder

Your filter is ready to roll! Enjoy it all!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #6

Thumbs up

Quick update.

I installed the GS intake and the GS transmission bushing and holy crap. My 20 mile drive home from my parent's left me with a huge grin on my face! I LOVE the sound my car makes, Especially the diverter valve when I dump the throttle. I notice the car pulls even more now, and especially at lower RPMs. The throttle response feels crisper and the turbo lag has been all but eliminated (not the the Aero's lag is too bad to begin with).

The Trans mount is amazing, I can now effortlessly shift at WOT and not feel like I have to rip the gearshift out of its gear and then slam it in the next gear. The shifting has become so much tighter, and I feel like I can shift the car twice as fast now. I notice absolutely NO vibrations from the new bushing either. I'm absolutely thrilled!

Both installs took me 5 hours, and that was with taking a few breaks for dinner, a beer or two with my pops and chitchatting with my family. The two biggest obstacles i ran into were getting the headlight/turnsignal out (I didn't realize just how much force you had to apply to that turnsignal assembly for it to pop out), and fighting with the bolts that hold the tranny mount and torque arm. I must have had to unscrew the smaller 16mm bolt at the bushing end 5 times to get everything just right. I made the mistake of installing the new bushing and bolting it in and not putting the torque arm back in its bracket that attaches to the frame, so once I got the smaller bolt in, there was now way to get the torque arm back into its bracket on the frame :P. And why is it that that 16mm bolt that goes through the bushing hits the transmission bellhousing when you're trying to get it out? Ugh! Then I struggled with getting the distance between the transmission and the frame right. On my last attempt, I bolted the torque arm into place at the frame mount, then started on the 16mm bolt at the tranny bushing end, the problem is the hole in the new mount was probably about an inch too far away to get the bolt to go through it. I ended up taking a massive adjustable wrench and clamping the transmission to the frame until I shortened the gap. I had to push on the wrench with my head while using my hands to coax the bolt through the hole in the center of the bushing :P.
All in all it wasn't too bad of a job, nothing was rusted and everything came apart easily (ahh, the joys of working with a fairly new car).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in