The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Pictures (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Gone off the Deep End - New Car Content (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62831)

Aikmanson 01-29-2013 05:02 PM

Small update here I guess. First tank I got 17mpg, second tank around the same. First trip to school you ask? 15mpg. Windiest day of the year + soft top + highway, bad bad bad.

Love it though, I am hooked.

srp 01-29-2013 05:18 PM

Just Empty Every Pocket :th_MySaab900Like:

Saabeh 01-29-2013 05:19 PM

I know I will catch hell for this, but one thing I hate about Jeeps is a soft top. Hard top on or off.

NickTurbo900 01-29-2013 05:25 PM

I just don't get them.

I like the concept and think they are sharp looking, but

I've driven wranglers, and I felt like once the novelty wore off... I was just driving an uncomfortable and loud piece of military surplus. The seats are terrible. The on-road handling is terrible. The fuel economy is terrible and on a quiet night here in Vermont you can hear them rust. They are outrageously expensive, but that helps for resale on the other end I guess. There is no room to move anything with them.

I drive an 800$ 98 forester in mud season. It's great. Its a box on wheels with the seats down, it's like a pickup truck. I'd have to spend 6 times that to get into a wrangler with as much or more rust. I've had it for 3 years and have done front brakes and powersteering line.

I think a wrangler is a toy, and I'd love to have one for that. I can't imagine driving one everyday. Maybe they've improved.

tuner4life 01-30-2013 04:23 AM

Jeeps are the Harley Davidson of 4 wheeled Automobiles. They are cheap, old technology, and very simple/basic. But like Harleys, they demand a huge price tag because of the name. You are only paying to be part of the "cool owners club".

mike saunders 01-30-2013 04:53 AM

Older Wranglers are fun off-road, and great in nasty conditions, but admittedly crappy on the road. The short and narrow wheelbase makes you feel every pebble.

I've only had full-size Jeeps (Cherokees and Grand Wagoneers) and the on-road manners were far better than any SUV of its era, and with better ground clearance and hauling capability than any CUV

The new Wranglers have a longer wheelbase than my old "Cape Cod Cadillac" and a much better suspension, so the on-road manners are probably going to be fine.

Saabeh 01-30-2013 06:38 AM

A co-worker bought a new JK Wrangler. Its a Sport S, 6 speed with the freedom top. I was very impressed with the road manners. You can tell when you open the door how thick the door seals are, I was impressed.

It was the first time I was comfortable saying "I would drive this daily" about a Wrangler.

I had no problem with my 5.9 JGC daily, it was a luxo-box.

tuner4life 01-30-2013 09:34 AM

Just gonna leave this here... For informational purposes.

mike saunders 01-30-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuner4life (Post 927721)
Just gonna leave this here... For informational purposes.

Damn, that's nasty...

Saabeh 01-30-2013 10:19 AM

I would still buy a new Overland if I was in the market for an SUV that size.

nowhereman 01-30-2013 11:31 AM

i like how both the volvo and the VW are pretty much fine.

also love how jeep engineers "solve" the problem by putting less weight in it

gm 01-30-2013 01:35 PM

My 99's wranglers seats actually aren't to bad. Not close to as comfy as my viggens seats but better then every other vehicle I own except for the newer jeep. I can push snow all day in the thing and feel fine. Road manners aren't to bad..... However my level of expectation is pretty low since it is a jeep :)

The 08 unlimited also has descent seats, far better then the in laws ford escape. It's road manners are similar to just about any other small SUV. My wife loves hers...... My complaint I will say again is the engine.... It's so gutless.... The newest engine is far superior with its 80+ hp increase. But yes if interested in a SUV they aren't to bad to live with daily. I couldn't do it...... Rather drive a miata daily :)

Palmer 01-30-2013 02:11 PM

I'm super impressed with my friends 2012 JKUL. Smooth and quiet...with a Dana 44 rear axle. Ha.

The new ones are to the point that there are really no compromises made for daily use.

Plus, that jeep video posted above has nothing to do with the Wrangler...

mike saunders 01-30-2013 02:28 PM

Plus, what full-size Jeep owner is going to try to evade a fucking moose?

That's dinner, bro.

Palmer 01-30-2013 02:47 PM

No doubt.

I feel like some people don't "get" the wrangler (in particular) because there is nothing else out there to compare it to directly...

This test being a great example.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon vs. 2012 Mercedes-Benz G550 – Comparison Test – Car and Driver

Jameson 01-30-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike saunders (Post 927749)
Plus, what full-size Jeep owner is going to try to evade a fucking moose?

That's dinner, bro.

Wasn't that Jeep test found to be cheated a bit? Mike, you are a good man to get the source on that lol.

Cark 01-30-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 (Post 927643)
I just don't get them.

I've driven wranglers, and I felt like once the novelty wore off... I was just driving an uncomfortable and loud piece of military surplus. The seats are terrible. The on-road handling is terrible. The fuel economy is terrible and on a quiet night here in Vermont you can hear them rust. They are outrageously expensive, but that helps for resale on the other end I guess. There is no room to move anything with them.

I drive an 800$ 98 forester in mud season. It's great. Its a box on wheels with the seats down, it's like a pickup truck. I'd have to spend 6 times that to get into a wrangler with as much or more rust. I've had it for 3 years and have done front brakes and powersteering line.

I think a wrangler is a toy, and I'd love to have one for that. I can't imagine driving one everyday. Maybe they've improved.

Pretty much nailed it! My buddy just bought a brand new 4 door and I had a really hard time pretending to be excited for him. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I still feel they are grossly overpriced.

Palmer 01-30-2013 04:46 PM

^ you need to go for a ride. You will be impressed. They drive very well.

For what it is, the 2012+ with the 3.6 V6 are great trucks.

Escargot 01-31-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 (Post 927643)
I just don't get them.

That's pretty much my assessment of them as well. If you have a specific need for one, that's fine, otherwise I don't think they're practical as daily drivers, nor you're getting much for what you paid. Had an ex-coworker who was gung-ho about getting some sort of a Jeep after selling his last car. He had a 80 mi round trip daily commute for work, and I tried hard to talk him out of it (his more expensive alternate choice was the Toyota FJ). The last I heard, he sold the Wrangler after a little more than a year.

Palmer 01-31-2013 10:58 AM

Do you people READ the other posts in threads, or just kinda put in your .02, and then just leave?

Just wondering.