I bought a Miata - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I bought a Miata

So weird car shopping and not being able to look at new-r saab's

Sending out the loan paperwork today for a new to me Miata. 2013 Club in Silver is what I finally went with, it has just over 13K miles

My hope is to make it a more reliable (compared to my old SPG) track car & also daily driver 9 or so months out of the year

Thus.... Yes a bunch of go-fast stuff is already being added to the car

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Nice, good luck with it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Excellent choice.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #4

Nice! The club has the lsd, correct? Big improvement w/that alone. Expecting a build thread!

Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
gm

Yes it has a LSD! LSD, soft top 6 spd and any color except black was what I was looking for.

Pics will come when available, should be approx 400hp with similar (I would think) torque when it's done. Hopefully have car first or second week of August.

I am doing this opposite of mods in the past. I always added hp last and worked on the chassis first but this time its getting hp mods first, then in a year or so some new coilovers and wheels.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #6
Elder

Nice! Excellent choice

Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
gm

Little update on my miata

Turbo kit is running behind schedule. I ordered a turbo kit which was suppose to take 4 weeks..... Been almost 8 weeks and it still hasn't arrived.

Found a used set of coil-overs for the car. They are double adjustable fat cat motorsports coil-overs and the previous owner also included a rx8 yellow front sway bar. The mount for the external oil reservoir was broken on the front two coil-overs so I had those sent to the manufacturer for repair. Fat cat stated 2 weeks to repair. I was suggested to disconnect completely the rear sway bar with these coilovers which were setup for str solo II. Hopefully they will be comfy enough for street use as well as so,e track days. Fat cat can revalve the suspension and set them up for my weight and all that stuff.

New motor is also ready to go.... Just waiting on the turbo

If I can't swing it this year.... Next spring at the latest new wheels and tires. At this time leaning towards 17x9 with 245-40-17's, possibly pilot super sports.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Holy cow!

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Wait, new engine for a basically new car?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
gm

Yes.... Selling the stock motor which has 13,??? Miles and putting a 2.5L in the car which has been slightly built up to allow It to take boost. Stock 2.0 can't take the power I want reliably and I also worry about lag since I had the same turbo on my old SPG.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
congrats on the miata, they are pretty awesome
Also, you will be happy to know your old SPG is doing very well, and has been pretty reliable since T5 was installed. a big portion of the lag n your old SPG was due to autronic not knowing how to spool a turbo. the cars current setup on a holset hy35 is now making very good boost below 2800 rpms

Im surprised you didnt look into GM LS swaps for it? they make 400hp, and can be treated like a punching bag Cost of conversion probably isnt much different than built miata motor

Think about it...........

Pictures??

Last edited by mike d; 09-05-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
gm

Brian & I still keep in touch a bit on my old car. Saw the video he posted on facebook today I think.... I do miss that car except for the transmissions

Thats interesting on Autronic not knowing what to do with the turbo. If I recall it was at 10PSI at 2K rpm's & 22-26 PSI at 3700 or so. How much better is the holset + T5?

I thought about the LS swap however it would be over $20K if I did it myself for what I would want plus I do not have the time or equiptment to do everything myself. Flyin Miata charges approx $43K for a turn kep LS swap which would be I believe the 430HP crate motor.

Junkyards have the 2.5's for $800-150 and can be swapped with a tune and exhaust and make just over 200 whp/wtq w/o boost. I am adding boost thus pistons/rods/cams add another -$2k.... shop I am using charges approx $5K for the built motor installed, tuned etc & is installing the turbo for nothing since its his first turbo 2.5 conversion. He has done a few supercharged 2.5's.

Hopefully have pics in a week or two

Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Gary this looks awesome!

And BTW, thoughts on the new Miata? Looks pretty badass IMO.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Flying miata charges a lot for everything, im sure a built miata motor from them would be big bucks as well!

likewise a boneyard LS with trans goes for around 6k, is just a matter of what you want t do with it in car

either way keep us posted!

the holset + t5 is well into any pressure you want it by 3300 rpms, Remember this is coming from a larger, journal bearing turbo, making a lot more power!

Last edited by mike d; 09-06-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
gm

Flyin miata just uses crate motors from gm thus usually not a need for the motors to be built up beyond that. Plus getting the crate motor they come with I believe a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. Flyin is working on a Exocet with the cts v motor.... If I recall that motor is approx $25,000 from gm!

Someone of I know has one of if not the nicest na monster v8's I have seen. Its a few years old thus uses the old 5.0 mustang motor. He had a new motor built for the car which I think it a 347 or something like that. Fun car and great fun on the track but man does it get hot in there. He saw a monster miata a few weeks ago when at a track weekend and told me it made his car look like a kit car! He was extremely impressed with the flyin miata swap but yea.... Lots of money

I didn't want to deal with the heat, added weight and the additional work of the v8.

In regards to thoughts. I was considering a mazdaspeed nb or the nc and the wife and kids didn't like the looks of the inside or outside of the nb, thus my decision was made for me. In stock from on my test drives I felt its a bit soft for me. To much leaning and wiggling.... but I hope after my fat cat suspension is installed that I will enjoy it more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in