Gone off the Deep End - New Car Content - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Small update here I guess. First tank I got 17mpg, second tank around the same. First trip to school you ask? 15mpg. Windiest day of the year + soft top + highway, bad bad bad.

Love it though, I am hooked.
1995 900 SE Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Just Empty Every Pocket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #43
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I know I will catch hell for this, but one thing I hate about Jeeps is a soft top. Hard top on or off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #44
Elder

I just don't get them.

I like the concept and think they are sharp looking, but

I've driven wranglers, and I felt like once the novelty wore off... I was just driving an uncomfortable and loud piece of military surplus. The seats are terrible. The on-road handling is terrible. The fuel economy is terrible and on a quiet night here in Vermont you can hear them rust. They are outrageously expensive, but that helps for resale on the other end I guess. There is no room to move anything with them.

I drive an 800$ 98 forester in mud season. It's great. Its a box on wheels with the seats down, it's like a pickup truck. I'd have to spend 6 times that to get into a wrangler with as much or more rust. I've had it for 3 years and have done front brakes and powersteering line.

I think a wrangler is a toy, and I'd love to have one for that. I can't imagine driving one everyday. Maybe they've improved.

Last edited by NickTurbo900; 01-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #45
Elder

Jeeps are the Harley Davidson of 4 wheeled Automobiles. They are cheap, old technology, and very simple/basic. But like Harleys, they demand a huge price tag because of the name. You are only paying to be part of the "cool owners club".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 AM   #46

Older Wranglers are fun off-road, and great in nasty conditions, but admittedly crappy on the road. The short and narrow wheelbase makes you feel every pebble.

I've only had full-size Jeeps (Cherokees and Grand Wagoneers) and the on-road manners were far better than any SUV of its era, and with better ground clearance and hauling capability than any CUV

The new Wranglers have a longer wheelbase than my old "Cape Cod Cadillac" and a much better suspension, so the on-road manners are probably going to be fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #47
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

A co-worker bought a new JK Wrangler. Its a Sport S, 6 speed with the freedom top. I was very impressed with the road manners. You can tell when you open the door how thick the door seals are, I was impressed.

It was the first time I was comfortable saying "I would drive this daily" about a Wrangler.

I had no problem with my 5.9 JGC daily, it was a luxo-box.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #48
Elder

Just gonna leave this here... For informational purposes.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner4life View Post
Just gonna leave this here... For informational purposes.
Damn, that's nasty...
Old 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #50
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I would still buy a new Overland if I was in the market for an SUV that size.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #51
Elder

i like how both the volvo and the VW are pretty much fine.

also love how jeep engineers "solve" the problem by putting less weight in it
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #52
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

My 99's wranglers seats actually aren't to bad. Not close to as comfy as my viggens seats but better then every other vehicle I own except for the newer jeep. I can push snow all day in the thing and feel fine. Road manners aren't to bad..... However my level of expectation is pretty low since it is a jeep

The 08 unlimited also has descent seats, far better then the in laws ford escape. It's road manners are similar to just about any other small SUV. My wife loves hers...... My complaint I will say again is the engine.... It's so gutless.... The newest engine is far superior with its 80+ hp increase. But yes if interested in a SUV they aren't to bad to live with daily. I couldn't do it...... Rather drive a miata daily

Saabless for the first time since 1986
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #53
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I'm super impressed with my friends 2012 JKUL. Smooth and quiet...with a Dana 44 rear axle. Ha.

The new ones are to the point that there are really no compromises made for daily use.

Plus, that jeep video posted above has nothing to do with the Wrangler...
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #54

Plus, what full-size Jeep owner is going to try to evade a fucking moose?

That's dinner, bro.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #55
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

No doubt.

I feel like some people don't "get" the wrangler (in particular) because there is nothing else out there to compare it to directly...

This test being a great example.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon vs. 2012 Mercedes-Benz G550 – Comparison Test – Car and Driver
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #56
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Plus, what full-size Jeep owner is going to try to evade a fucking moose?

That's dinner, bro.
Wasn't that Jeep test found to be cheated a bit? Mike, you are a good man to get the source on that lol.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
I just don't get them.

I've driven wranglers, and I felt like once the novelty wore off... I was just driving an uncomfortable and loud piece of military surplus. The seats are terrible. The on-road handling is terrible. The fuel economy is terrible and on a quiet night here in Vermont you can hear them rust. They are outrageously expensive, but that helps for resale on the other end I guess. There is no room to move anything with them.

I drive an 800$ 98 forester in mud season. It's great. Its a box on wheels with the seats down, it's like a pickup truck. I'd have to spend 6 times that to get into a wrangler with as much or more rust. I've had it for 3 years and have done front brakes and powersteering line.

I think a wrangler is a toy, and I'd love to have one for that. I can't imagine driving one everyday. Maybe they've improved.
Pretty much nailed it! My buddy just bought a brand new 4 door and I had a really hard time pretending to be excited for him. Maybe the newer ones are better, but I still feel they are grossly overpriced.

Last edited by Cark; 01-30-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #58
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

^ you need to go for a ride. You will be impressed. They drive very well.

For what it is, the 2012+ with the 3.6 V6 are great trucks.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #59
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
I just don't get them.

That's pretty much my assessment of them as well. If you have a specific need for one, that's fine, otherwise I don't think they're practical as daily drivers, nor you're getting much for what you paid. Had an ex-coworker who was gung-ho about getting some sort of a Jeep after selling his last car. He had a 80 mi round trip daily commute for work, and I tried hard to talk him out of it (his more expensive alternate choice was the Toyota FJ). The last I heard, he sold the Wrangler after a little more than a year.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #60
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Do you people READ the other posts in threads, or just kinda put in your .02, and then just leave?

Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in