My first German. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Site Moderator

My first German.

Been hunting these for months. The ideal was a 99 manual coupe in Estoril Blue. A friend had one a few years back (though a 97) and I've always thought it was the ideal color for an E36.

Clean-titled, stock examples under 100K for decent money are hard to find on the west coast. Here she is...

1998 M3, 5MT, 89k, Estoril, two owner CA car, and clean enough to pass The Christian Test. Drives like a damn dream.

Mods planned/things that need attention: euro tails, replace rear speakers, polish headlight lenses. Maybe window tint. Oil change, rear shock mounts. Missing one center cap decal. Power later.

This makes 4 cars now, and I only have space at home for 3. I have a lead on cheap storage locally, so the SPG will probably get rotated out for a while.

Last edited by jk88; 07-12-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

WOW. Thats clean for a 98!! Congrats. I approve your mod list. Deffinatly tint the windows.

I envy you fuckers that can splurge on shit like this....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 9-3 Vert Stg 2/e85

Quote:
dont make me photoshop a dick in your mouth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to rafal
I wouldn't clear the corners. I like how orange goes with blue. Same with lb viggen.

Great buy though. Those cars are not depreciating anymore. Get some wheels and exhaust.

My buddy has an exact same one. We did exhaust clip of his car, while we were doing mine:

Car Clips - 1999 E36 BMW M3 with Eisenmann race exhaust - YouTube

I like the eisenmann exhaust on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

awesome, congrats. one of the best cars ever made. perfect balance of power, ride, handling, size, sound.

been seeing a dakar coupe (with the regular wheels) around here that's got me ill. those are the luxury pack wheels, right?

i blew the engine on a '97 @ 135mph on the parkway. that was in 1999ish. bmw wanted $9k to repair the engine, back then. eventually they covered it under warranty.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

Awesome, awesome car....
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
WSW
Elder

Gorgeous.. I'm guessing you paid around 10?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to viggenkid
nice car. love the color.

where has christian been lately?

i want him to fly back to CT to clean my viggen and truck. they are dirty.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Well done. Love that color.

Yah, put away the SPG for now and bring it out in winter*.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #9

Beautiful. I keep toying with getting one of these after my 9-5...

I love the seats in these!

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsaab View Post
WOW. Thats clean for a 98!! Congrats. I approve your mod list. Deffinatly tint the windows.

I envy you fuckers that can splurge on shit like this....
Thanks dude. Being 32, unmarried, with no kids certainly helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal View Post
I wouldn't clear the corners. I like how orange goes with blue. Same with lb viggen.

Great buy though. Those cars are not depreciating anymore. Get some wheels and exhaust.

My buddy has an exact same one. We did exhaust clip of his car, while we were doing mine:

Car Clips - 1999 E36 BMW M3 with Eisenmann race exhaust - YouTube

I like the eisenmann exhaust on it.
Thanks Rafal. I think you're right not doing front clear corners. Sometimes they look more white than clear, especially against the clear headlight lens, and it looks a bit ricey. I do like the Euro tails though.

That exhaust sounds pretty good. Is the rasp just clipping from the mic on the camera? I bet it sounds cleaner in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceinmiami View Post
awesome, congrats. one of the best cars ever made. perfect balance of power, ride, handling, size, sound.

been seeing a dakar coupe (with the regular wheels) around here that's got me ill. those are the luxury pack wheels, right?

i blew the engine on a '97 @ 135mph on the parkway. that was in 1999ish. bmw wanted $9k to repair the engine, back then. eventually they covered it under warranty.
Thanks Bruce. That's exactly what I said in a text to Christian today when he asked me for first impressions: "Perfect. Perfect balance, power delivery, interior comfort, size, weight, etc."

Correct, those are the luxury package wheels. I like them a lot more than the others which are very busy/1990's to me, while these have aged better.

LOL at the engine detonation. Glad they covered it. What actually caused it, oil starvation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
Awesome, awesome car....
Thanks Mike.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
Gorgeous.. I'm guessing you paid around 10?
A little north of that. It was listed in the $12's. I wasn't going to buy it. I was going to drive it, only so I had a solid comparo against a much cheaper car that DrewP and I were going to look at this weekend. But it was so clean...

Clean and stock S50B32s under 100k miles go for 10-20k, depending on mileage. There's one at EAG in Ohio with 55k for just under $20k. And I bet you they get very, very close to that asking price.

So... funny story, this deal almost didn't happen. I let them appraise my 4Runner knowing I was unlikely to trade it because a friend has already called dibs on it. I called that friend while they were going over the truck and she was fine with me selling it today. It has 215k on the clock and while it's very clean, it needs $2000 in exhaust work (dealer only exhaust manifolds with built in cats at $750 each + labor). (Good thing is it's not due for a SMOG until next year, so it can let it go for a while.) So I let them screw me on the trade in price for the truck (or think they were) in order to get the price of the car down.

But then I had seller's remorse. It's so nice having a reliable automatic 4x4 around and to buy another one (or reasonable facsimile) would be stupid. I was keeping it and if this meant the deal was off, the deal was off. In the end, they let me have the car for the original price we agreed upon. I'm really happy I didn't sell the Yota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggenkid View Post
nice car. love the color.

where has christian been lately?

i want him to fly back to CT to clean my viggen and truck. they are dirty.
Thanks man.

Christian has a lady now, which should explain his M.I.A.-ness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPGreg View Post
Well done. Love that color.

Yah, put away the SPG for now and bring it out in winter*.
LOL. I should have thought of that one. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Beautiful. I keep toying with getting one of these after my 9-5...

I love the seats in these!
Do it. They are the gold standard for a reason, ya know?

Last edited by jk88; 07-12-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
Elder

You're 32??Q?!?!?!?!

I feel like a fucking toddler.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
You're 32??Q?!?!?!?!

I feel like a fucking toddler.
You knew this. Don't make me feel older than I already do. Jerk.

Also, Congregation Ale House
Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #14

Nice car, I'd love an M3 like that. And I love that blue.

I'm 39, got two cars, wife, two kids and broke
Old 07-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #15

Great find, looks seriously well taken care of. I never really lusted over the e36's, but that probably has a lot to do with never having driven one - everything I've heard about them has been very positive. Enjoy it!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Great score.

That's the car that got me in the E36 hunt that led me to my E36/7.

The S52 responds really well to basic NA bolt ons. I went that route before SC'ing, which of course was amazing bang for the buck when you pick up a used kit.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
Great find, looks seriously well taken care of. I never really lusted over the e36's, but that probably has a lot to do with never having driven one - everything I've heard about them has been very positive. Enjoy it!
I've only driven one on the street, and not on the track, but it's an insanely responsive car. It's not as quick as a Viggen or 9-5 Aero, but the handling is ridiculously good.

JK, you were right to spend a bit more for the right car, because there are lots of $5,000 M3s out there that need $10K or more of work. This one sounds like a bona fide keeper....Have somebody check the rear subframe mounts and shock towers and then you'll have peace of mind when you take it to Buttonwillow.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Elder

I keep toying with buying one of these, and seeing threads like this isn't helping at all. lol

Very nice! My favorite color too!

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Oh baby. I was thinking of an E46 next year.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Nice car, I'd love an M3 like that. And I love that blue.

I'm 39, got two cars, wife, two kids and broke
Thanks Bogan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
Thanks Turbo00. I hadn't really lusted for them either until somewhat recently. The E36M is such a sweet spot in terms of price, power, handling, parts prices, on board tech that costs a fortune to repair, and aesthetics.

The E30Ms are living legends but prices have run so much. The E46Ms, while epic, are just more car than I want or need right now. The non-M cars are nice but too common around here; coming from SAABland, I think all of us like to be a bit different. A gray 330 wasn't going to cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Great score.

That's the car that got me in the E36 hunt that led me to my E36/7.

The S52 responds really well to basic NA bolt ons. I went that route before SC'ing, which of course was amazing bang for the buck when you pick up a used kit.
Thanks Jameson. Your car is beautiful, I always think of it like a baby Z8. I'll definitely be going through your thread on that car at some point looking for pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
I've only driven one on the street, and not on the track, but it's an insanely responsive car. It's not as quick as a Viggen or 9-5 Aero, but the handling is ridiculously good.

JK, you were right to spend a bit more for the right car, because there are lots of $5,000 M3s out there that need $10K or more of work. This one sounds like a bona fide keeper....Have somebody check the rear subframe mounts and shock towers and then you'll have peace of mind when you take it to Buttonwillow.
Agree Mike. My stock Viggen used to beat stock E36M3s from a roll. But as beautiful and fun as that car was, the chassis was poop. I'm just blown away this thing is 14 years old and has ZERO squeaks or rattles! Does not compute.

I'm going to have someone look it over next week and advise on the rear shock mounts... I know they can be a problem to say the least!

Last edited by jk88; 07-13-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in