My uncle's new car (British Content) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

My uncle's new car (British Content)

So the other day, my uncle called me for some car advice. He asked if $18k was a fair price to sell his 2005 Mercedes SLK350. I told him it was just over trade value, and he said he was cool with that, so I told him to take it. Then he asked what I thought about another car. When he said what it was, I said "Know what you might be getting into." Then he told me the price, and I said "get it." lol So here it is!

A 2004 Jag XJ8. A car design I've loved for ages but was afraid to buy. Everything works, perfect condition in and out and it's only got 50k miles. All for $14k. He saved some of the leftover money from the difference after selling the Mercedes for anything it might need. He took it to my mechanic and he looked the car over and said he couldn't go wrong with it for the money.

Anyway, this is a beautiful car that rides like a dream. It doesn't seem to handle as well as his previous S430 4-MATIC, but the interior is far nicer and laid out much better. The lack of a navigation system does seem to cheapen up the interior a bit, the stitching and wood panels and steering wheel make up for it.

Driving it can be summed up in word: Cushioned. The steering is a bit numb, and it likes to wallow in the turns. It has plenty of power, making it easy to forget how fast you're really going. Braking is adequate for a car it's size. Not an exciting car to drive, but definitely a nice car to drive. The sound the 4.2 V8 makes when you wind it out is glorious, however.

As far as interior goes, I thought it was nicely laid out (Especially compared to the the German competition). As I said earlier, Nav would have been nice, but it's okay without. The stitching on the dash and door panels, added to the analog clock really convey a sense of class and sophistication, however, the shade of green used for the illumination throughout, didn't seem to fit the car at all. (Think the same color of an older Toyota...yuck) As for the seats (heated front and rear) the fronts are very nice, moderately bolstered buckets provided very nice support and I found them to very comfortable, as expected. The rear seats seemed flat and a bit hard, something that surprised me in a car that's meant for those seats to be used.

Exterior is simply gorgeous. Simple, classic, and timeless. This car will still look great in 20 years. The tinted windows and 18" wheels help out as well.

Anyway, there's my little review/first impressions of this car. First Jag I've ever driven, and I kinda liked it.

Are these things really as bad as people make them out to be reliability wise? I was quite impressed with how nice it was to drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 9-5 Arc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

If I'm not wrong this is one of the Ford Jags, which to my understanding are more reliable than previous Jags. I really live that body style, I like how it looks low and long, with a low window line, and especially a low trunk. I hate new cars with their high trunks that obscure rear visibility. Nice buy, hopefully it will be very reliable.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #3

Nice find for the money....

This was actually the start of the fairly reliable Jags. Still sort of stodgy looks, but it definitely says "Jaguar."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
Elder

There is one I service at my work. It has about 160k on it. It just got a trans, then a bosch rebuilt module, then an SAI valve, but other than that there have been no major repairs. Pretty average I'd say repair wise.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Just tell your uncle that he has to pronounce it "Jag-u-ar"
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
A friend of mine is a service writer at Bluegrass Jaguar. He has one of these as a DD. Judging from what he's told me, these are among the most reliable cars that Jag ever built. I love riding in and driving his.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Elder

Very nice!! I personally prefer the body style just before this one, but you can't go wrong as far as reliability.

Jaguar is one of those car companies I keep toying with getting involved with, but the horror stories keep scaring me off just enough. I cant count how many Jags I've almost bought over the years. lol

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Elder

^ For looks the previous gen is classy but the body style before this one is shockingly cramped inside. I'm 6'1 160 and its uncomfortable. The center console is very wide, legs hit the console and door panel and I can't find a seating position that is 'right'.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
^ For looks the previous gen is classy but the body style before this one is shockingly cramped inside. I'm 6'1 160 and its uncomfortable. The center console is very wide, legs hit the console and door panel and I can't find a seating position that is 'right'.
That's why he bought this. He's 6'1" 310...lol He barely fit in his SLK and he missed the room in his old 2005 S-Class. He wanted this to DD instead of his '08 Escalade because this will get better mileage.

With this addition, his garage really looks the mafia clubhouse now...lol (His Escalade is black on black with dark tints too)

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 07-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #10

Is this the same uncle that bought you the Stang ?

Can he adopt me?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Good write-up. There was an almost-identical car for sale @ local dealer, with <40,000 miles, and they wanted $16,000ish. That car was immaculate and didn't last a week. I know, because I had my sister hooked on buying it. I think this body-style is gorgeous with a nice interior. They are great cars, I hear. Congrats.

I tried to push her into the new (silver/black) 2012 XJ, which is sexy as fuck with a killer interior. Those new XJ's have a swagger about them, a very unique experience and cheaper than all German rivals. Unfortunately, the lease was just too much money. It's a car that needs to be bought.

Eventually, I got her into a new 2012 XF 5.0. Car is very fast and with a killer ripping-silk soundtrack accompanyment, but I don't really like it otherwise. It looks great, but the interior is meh, and the overall experience is no different than any German/Japanese competitor. Nothing special.

XF lease was about 1/3 of what a XJ lease, for a car about $15,000 more expensive.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #12

Sadly, this car will be coming up for sale this weekend. He just doesn't drive it as much as he thought he would and really wants a pickup truck. I said sell the Escalade and keep the Jag, but he just likes the Escalade better.

I'm going to miss this one, especially because this car just "Suited" him perfectly.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Elder

Back in my younger $$BALLER$$ days before kids.......my wife, my brother in law and sister in law rented this exact car for a vacation in Orlando.

It was a brand new car; something like $1,200/wk to rent, but screw it.

I was amazed by how stable it was at speed. On a trip from Ocala to Orlando at dusk, I casually asked my bride, as she painted her toenails "Does it feel like we are doing 115?"

The other thing I remember was that when you matted it, the automatic shifted like a manual. It would rev, then almost let off the gas, let the revs drop, change gear, then accelerate again without letting your foot off the gas......not the sloppy change between gears that most automatics had.

VROOOM!!!!! (pause, drop in RPM, gear change) VROOOM!!!! (pause, drop in RPM, gear change) VROOM!!!!!

Probably not the best for street racing, but probably easier on the drivetrain.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Awesome cars for the money, just hate that they switched to air suspension on these.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI009DZ View Post
I was amazed by how stable it was at speed. On a trip from Ocala to Orlando at dusk, I casually asked my bride, as she painted her toenails "Does it feel like we are doing 115?"
That's my favorite part about cars like this. The S430 was the same way. I took it out once just to have some fun and went bombing down the highway in and out of traffic at 90 (yeah, I was being an asshole...) but it didn't feel like I was going that fast.

Might as well plug that car while I'm here. This was last summer right after I detailed it and shortly before he sold it.

2003 9-5 Arc
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Whattttt, that Merc is way more badass. Nevermind, I didn't read.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Whattttt, that Merc is way more badass. Nevermind, I didn't read.
The Mercedes was awesome. After he traded that one for the SLK350 that he only had for a couple months, he called the dealership and asked if he could return the SLK and get the S430 back. They said it was in the service department stuck in reverse...(not sure if that was true though, they may have just not wanted to reverse the deal.)

2003 9-5 Arc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in