So, I bought a Miata. - Page 10 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #181
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
20140802_174608 by thestig99, on Flickr

20140802_160549 by thestig99, on Flickr

Oh, and I'm strongly considering unloading all my Saab crap once and for all and picking up another winter Miata. Anyone want a rust free SoCal 9000 Aero?
You're really going to want a rear wheel drive convert for our VT winters? You never truly get rid of all the Saab influence unless your dad does too or you move away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #182
Elder

^The blue one was AWESOME in the snow! Would be even better with a hardtop But yeah, getting rid of Saab influence would be quite a challange lol.

Speaking of Lotus Elans...

Not many cars make a Miata look that big...

Also this thing is the best truck ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #183
Elder

Night Drive. Playing with some "new" photo gear.

1)
Night Drive 8/29/14 One by thestig99, on Flickr

2)
Night Drive 8/29/14 Two by thestig99, on Flickr

3)
Night Drive 8/29/14 Three by thestig99, on Flickr

4)
Night Drive 8/29/14 Four by thestig99, on Flickr

5)
Night Drive 8/29/14 Five by thestig99, on Flickr

Old 09-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #184
Elder

A nice evening cruise in the Lake Champlain Islands. Still enjoying the cheapo "new" lens

1)
Lake Champlain Islands 9/7/14 by thestig99, on Flickr

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

9)

10)

11)

12)

Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #185
Elder

Not bad, for a Monday...

Monday. 9/22/14 by thestig99, on Flickr

Last edited by stig; 09-23-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #186
Elder

The car finally demanded some maintenance - front brakes. New cheapo $15 rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I've had it it three years and 30k+ miles now and had never even touched the brakes.

Then we went back to SLMP! The Hawks held up a whole lot better than whatever was on there before, very impressed so far.

Ended up dropping down from mid 64 seconds at the past couple events to a 63.3. I previously ran a 62.3 with the 6UL's and 205/50/15 Star Specs all around, now I'm 1 second off that pace with steelies and 185/60/14 allseasons, no real changes to the car otherwise. The driver mod is starting to show some progress

General Altimax HP's aren't really meant for this...

Grabbed a couple pics with my friend Jeremiah at the wheel (after unfortunately putting his Golf R32 into the scenery)

Miata @ SLMP2 2014 by thestig99, on Flickr

Miata @ SLMP2 2014 by thestig99, on Flickr

Between the beach last Monday and this... in seven days the car has covered over 1000 miles, including 2 days on the track, all without a single hiccup. I guess that means my goal of a fun, reliable, all around multi purpose car seems to be working out!

Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #187
Elder

Guess I'll leave this here. I am Saabless. Picked up the new winter beater yesterday:

WRX 10/12/14 by thestig99, on Flickr

2002 WRX wagon.

I had been looking for another Miata for a winter beater, then got send the CL ad for this last Monday. Call the seller he's the second owner, it's totally stock, meticulously maintained (Royal Purple from new, top end rebuilt, timing belt, clutch, etc 50k miles ago, etc). Needs tires and a battery but is a solid runner. It's been sitting since July and is on a donut spare. I think about it for a few minutes, call him back, and hit the road... to Maine. Left at 8PM on Monday, was handing the seller cash at 12:30AM, and got home at exactly 4AM, and went to work at 7:30.

Yesterday went back armed with a battery and a wheel to pick it up and drive it ~4 hours home.

On the road:

15 miles later:

Dead battery. Shit. PO had the alternator rebuilt but had some kind of issue with it, so he took the rebuilt one out and put a used one in. He gave me the rebuilt one so I decided it was worth a shot and swapped them in the gas station parking lot.

Then...

made it the rest of the way home without missing a beat.

Rather pretty drive too.

Oh, and there's this:

Drives great, runs smooth, shifts smooth, no noises, everything works. Amazing. I believe it's also the cheapest WRX I've ever seen that didn't have a blown engine and structural rot.

I kinda like it.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #188
Elder

Well, it only took over a year and four attempts... but my T1 Torsen is finally in! Along with some Energy Suspension poly bushings. The bushings noticeable tightened up the shifter (which is definitely getting sloppy, time to rebuild) and are fine around town, but the gear whine is pretty obnoxious on the highway so I'll probably end up replacing them with OEM.

Shitty picture for the occasion:

Old 11-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #189
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What do you think of the Subaru? I am on the market for a beater. How are the MPGs?
Old 11-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #190
Elder

I like it. Relatively practical, quickish, fun enough. I'm getting low to mid 20's MPG-wise.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #191
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
I like it. Relatively practical, quickish, fun enough. I'm getting low to mid 20's MPG-wise.
I would only buy a Subaru (again) in the same way you got yours. Super cheap and with "untouchable" well maintained miles. They're just too noisy and uncomfortable to tolerate spending the $6-10k for AWDOMG.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #192
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

That's been my concern. I have no use for AWD on a DD, and the mileage is tough. Stig lives in a different climate though, so the Subaru is probably a great fit. Anyway, I'll keep looking. Clean OG 9-3s have been tough to find in PA - that is my primary target!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #193
Elder

Yup, this is the only way I would buy a turbo Subaru. Couldn't pass up a solid driver WRX for 2 grand. Plus my commute is walking distance so the fuel economy is not a concern.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #194
Elder

I have to admit... I like the WRX a lot more than I expected to. Haven't been able to do much with it, but I did spend a little time cleaning up the exterior.

Starting with the hatch and rear bumper. Pushed out as much of the dent as I could and painted both, as they both had plenty of issues. Have yet to wetsand/buff it.

Before:

After:

Some quality factory Subaru paint... it's probably a bad thing when masking tape does THIS.

Restored the headlights....
Before:

After:

Quickly buffed it... possibly for the first time since it left the dealer lot?

Other than that it's just been driving.

And a little hauling of Saab parts.

And rescuing a Volkswagen (Direzza Z2's... steep, narrow, winding driveway... not the best combination)

And a little of this...

WRX 11/26/14 by thestig99, on Flickr

WRX 11/26/14 by thestig99, on Flickr

And, as for the Miata....

Last edited by stig; 11-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #195
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to sethreign Send a message via Skype™ to sethreign
Awesome pics
Old 12-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #196
Elder

Hey, TSL. Long time no see. Thought I'd bump this with a quick update.

Someone in my area has a clean Imola Red 9000 Aero which definitely pulls the heartstrings every time I see it but, despite this, I have stayed away from Saabs for a while now.

I still have the Miata. It remains the best car I've ever owned. I've done a few things here and there but no drastic changes. A few relatively current pics:

IMG_3495 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4456 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4693 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4688 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4729 by Brian, on Flickr

This is how the WRX turned out:

[IMG]WRX 10/8/16 by Brian, on Flickr[/IMG]

WRX 10/8/16 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_3421 by Brian, on Flickr

Lifted on Forester KYB struts, stock springs, and Gorilla Off Road 1" strut top spacers, with 225-60/17's on BBS RK1's, JDM catless uppipe, Invidia catless 3" downpipe, OEM STi cat-back exhaust, misc odds and ends. Sadly, in the fall of 2016 (at 297k miles), the rust gods took it away from me

I ended up trading it + some cash for this '05 Outback which was fine, if a little dull:

IMG_3986 by Brian, on Flickr

in spring of this year the 1993 Toyota 4Runner that is now my DD fell into my lap. Life blew up in my face, sold the Outback to fund a place to live, but finally got the T4R on the road just in time for winter. It's very clean for its age, but needed head gaskets. I absolutely love the thing.

IMG_4842 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4874 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4910 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4901 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_5188 by Brian, on Flickr

20171212_184552 by Brian, on Flickr

IMG_4904 by Brian, on Flickr

20171203_081525 by Brian, on Flickr

Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #197
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Wow, lot going on here! That's a clean ass looking Runner, very nice.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #198
Elder

Thanks man!

A few others came and went in that timeline, too, but none made enough of an impression to stick around. I've now owned very nearly as many Subarus as I have Saabs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in