the cars i've owned, in order - Page 5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #81
Elder

that Aprilia sure is a sweet sounding bike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #82
Elder

Oooh, this looks like fun

My first actual vehicle was a Mazda B2200 pickup, my dad bought it from his co-worker for $600, not running. He and I did a head gasket and top end rebuild, and I drove it my sophomore/junior year of high school. No digital pics I lowered it and added some deep dish alloy wheels, not mexi-truck status but it looked kind of aggressive (all 85hp of it, hah!)

1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible: The summer before my senior year of HS, I bought this trashed-looking Saab turbo convertible. The year before, my parents had purchased a 1997 900 SE Turbo, their first Saab, and I was blown away by the power of the little 2.0L. I dreamed all day of owning a Talladega Red SPG, but SPG prices were high back then ($5-6000) and I was on a budget. Bought the convertible with an SPG kit and Shelby 8-spoke wheels for $2200.

One of the earliest pictures I have of it(We did quite a bit of work to get it to this stage):

I admit to making a few changes…

1993 Saab 9000 Aero: In 2004 my dad purchased this '93 9000 Aero, which we ended up sharing for a number of years.

1987 Saab 900 SPG: I daily drove the convertible through most of college, in my last year of my undergrad I picked up this '87 SPG. Having a legitimate daily driver allowed me to expand the modifications and projects on the convertible, which made a huge difference.

She had some cosmetic issues but I fixed her up right

1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen:A while later I took the plunge, and put a third car in the stable. Lightning Blue Viggen, loved that thing. I added double-three spoke wheels and that's about it. Enjoyed her for a year, but ultimately I wanted something with more power and RWD. It looked the business but handled poorly and wasn't as fast as I'd have liked. It ended up sitting for months at a time while I daily drove the SPG.

Still love the way it looks. Yum.

2005 Pontiac GTO: Sold the Viggen and picked up a clean black Pontiac GTO. This thing was the dream: 6.0L LS2 V8, 6-speed manual, LSD. Came with a tune, too. This was the newest car I'd ever owned and only had 30k miles on it. I added a Corsa exhaust and boy did it sound fantastic.

I hate to say it, but the car was a bit unwieldy. It was under-tired, heavier than I'd liked, and I never felt like I was fully in control of the thing. Another issue I had was this: it's a sleeper. It looks like nothing. Just a blob of a coupe. Grand Am? I am not a "sleeper" kind of guy (you guys know this by now). I like the attention of a unique looking car, a head turner. This was not that.

Speaking of head turners…

1988 BMW M3: Sold the GTO and everything not bolted down in the fall of 2010 to buy this beauty. One of just a handful in "Henna Red", this first-year early E30 M3 was an unbelievable dream. 189k miles, didn't run when I bought it. I put a ton of work in, brought her back to life and for five years it gave me the most pleasure of any automobile I've ever owned. I ran it hard, it never left me stranded or let me down.

It eventually gave its life to save mine last October. I was rear-ended by a distracted driver on the freeway, I was hit so hard from behind I was pushed forward into a truck, which was then pushed into a taxi. The running gear is intact, so I bought it back from the insurance company but have done little with it this winter.

1994 Saab 9000 Aero: I daily drove the M3 for quite a while, until one winter when I started driving my father's 1994 9000 Aero. It had rolled backwards into a tree, so we cut out a good quarter panel out of a junkyard 9000 and with some help, got it welded back on.

I drove this car for another year and a half, then sold it. It imploded on the next owner immediately.

1991 BMW 318i Sedan: This one was my neighbor's car, which he ran into a fence with and parked it in favor of a WRX. I bought it from him, fixed it up, and flipped it. Not much of a story there, except this marked a time where I had FIVE cars in my stable - not relatives cars, all mine. Crazy!

The next daily driver was pretty nice - a 2008 Turbo X Sportcombi. It was great until the MPGs started killing me, I started a new job and had a 100+ mile round trip commute getting 16-18 mpg. I over-corrected and sold it for a MPG machine I hated. Wish I could undo that choice.

2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Edition: The only car I only regret buying - and it has nothing to do with the Dieselgate issue. This thing was slow, depressing, inconvenient and boring. No more diesels, and no more Volkswagens. It ended up looking halfway cute but that's about it. Sold it at the end of January, somehow.

1997 BMW M3 Sedan: I purchased a replacement for the TDI last June, it didn't run and needed some love. I did a bunch of work to it and made it my current daily driver.

The day I got it home:

After paintwork, wheels, suspension, a top-end refresh, and lots of little things:

So currently I have my e36 M3 sedan, a crumpled ball that used to be an e30 M3, and my wife's Miata in the stable. I am still unsure of what I'll do with the e30 mess, maybe build another one with M3 guts, maybe sell it all and start on something different. Still trying to weigh my options...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #83
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
Damn IJ, that's a hell of thing to have happen to the E30. I hope insurance took care of you properly as that is a valuable car.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #84
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
1988 BMW M3......
It eventually gave its life to save mine last October.....
Wow...that's a terrible loss! I recall your build thread and what you'd put into it. But glad to see you were safe though. That beautiful car's demise served a noble purpose.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:35 AM   #85
Elder

That's terrible what happened to the M3! I remember drooling over it a few years ago.

-Jason

1992 Saab 9000 Turbo - Cirrus White
1986 Saab 900 Turbo SPG Clone - Admiral Blue
1992 Saab 900 Base - Talladega Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in