Friends 9-5 Aero at the 1/4 mile (w/pics) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #1
sab
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Friends 9-5 Aero at the 1/4 mile (w/pics)

Went and watched a buddy in the Saab club here take his 9-5 Aero R5 down the quarter mile. It was the first time he had done this, and despite the massive wheel spin he got through 1st, 2nd and 3rd... he got some respectable times for a first timer. Best was 15.4 I believe... he had an awesome reaction time but just couldn't get his power down.

Some nice cars and bikes there on the day too!

The best pics i took are at my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/avalyni...7601933411919/

Some of the best pics:

cheers
Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jdinneen
A) great pics
B) hot 9-5
C) same exact time/speed I ran in my car this summer (can't wait to go back now that I have real tires) so his car must be pretty zippy on the highway when the power actually gets put down correctly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Is the 9-5 stock?

(awesome pics btw!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
Elder

Awsome.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
sab

mcrowley> Not exactly stock... It is a 2001 9-5 Aero Abbot R5... I think CLive's problem was he couldn't get the power to the ground. This car flies once it gets going though, and is awesome site on the highway. He said he would try thr 1/4 mile again and now he knows what to expect, the times should get lower!

The list from his site includes:

9-5 Aero modified August 2006 a professionally precision rebuilt road use engine from crank to camshafts. New oversize forged pistons with shot peened con rods, reprofiled camshafts, garrett rb turbo, ported and polished head with tls super valves, reworked cold air pickup into hiflo induction intakes, fully programmable Motec onboard ECU with launch control, green giant injectors, modified fuel rail and fuel regulator, hi pressure fuel pump, Abbott intercooler, stainless steel headers with expansion plenum Abbott 3"DP with racecat, quad custom exhaust, tuned for higher torque rather than high HP tuned on the dyno at an average of 3 at 430hp WOT Suspension is lowered 1" koni shocks, EBC brake pads and drilled rotors, 18" x 8"rims fitted with Dunlop high performance tyres..

Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Wow, he must be having some major traction issues... 15.4 at ~98 is the stock 1/4 time for an Auto 9-5 Aero.

Awesome car though!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Elder

Wow that's a sexy car.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to JLausch
I ran a 14.6 @ 90'something, i gotta find the slip in a stock '05 aero with the 5 speed auto.... if he can find a way to get control of the spin, there should be some decent times to be had. For comparo, @ the same track i did a 14.4 @ 100mph in my old viggen, with just a cone filter bolted on the MAF.
'01 Viggen (sold)
Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #9

that delivery pipe looks awesome!! who made that one? the whole car looks awesome but man i want that delivery pipe!

- awesome pictures by the way as well!!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sab View Post
Holden's are awesome. I was a big fan of overboost.com.au until they changed the site around. They would be the ultimate sleeper over here the states.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to moose
sweet car, to bad he can't get the power to ground. I think its time for an LSD if he doesn't have one.

Stg. no go
My transmission boggles minds!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
so, wait, is it an automagic? looks like its got the auto trans vaccum pump deal on the head. its a wonder the trans can actually take that much power, i bet its a real nice car on the highway, id actually prefer a modded 9-5 auto if the trans can hold the power.

Paul

Old 09-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #13

Yeah Paul, I noticed the auxillary pump too. Since it is an 01, that means it has the 4-speed auto too. I have heard of people pushing a lot of power through the 5-speed auto, but not so much on the 4-speed. Would be interested in who the tuner was, and what the torque limit was set too.

Also, the delivery pipe... the only aftermarket one I know of is Abbott, which is brushed aluminum and has their logo on it. Not sure who made the one above, but it sure does look nice.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
sab

Aero02 and Paul... yep its an auto. I believe the tuner was a local guy (Dean at Swedish Prestige) here in Melbourne. He is an Abbott importer and also races a Saab in the Australian Sports Sedan series.

Lots of motorsport experience and of course Saab experience!

The delivery pipe is from Abbott.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero02 View Post
Also, the delivery pipe... the only aftermarket one I know of is Abbott, which is brushed aluminum and has their logo on it. Not sure who made the one above, but it sure does look nice.
Hi,

I have MapTun's 2,5" delivery pipe. Looks very bling bling, and surely impresses some people. Totally useless below 420-430 hp though, and actually provides slightly slower spool-up, so I'm removing mine for next season to get a more stock under hood appearance.

Best regards,

KK
Old 12-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #16
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
so, wait, is it an automagic? looks like its got the auto trans vaccum pump deal on the head. its a wonder the trans can actually take that much power, i bet its a real nice car on the highway, id actually prefer a modded 9-5 auto if the trans can hold the power.
Hi,

I used to run a stage 5 tuned 9-5 Aero auto (MY03, so 5-speed Sentronic). Wonderful car to drive!

The 5-speed can cope with 440-450 Nm, if the software is set up properly. We have a couple of guys here in Sweden who run 480-500 Nm, with 18T #6 and GT28RS. More than that, I'd want a bigger transmission oil cooler, and a friendly auto gearbox shop in my list of sponsors...

Best regards,

KK
Old 12-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #17
TSLMember

Quote:
Went and watched a buddy in the Saab club here take his 9-5 Aero R5 down the quarter mile. It was the first time he had done this, and despite the massive wheel spin he got through 1st, 2nd and 3rd... he got some respectable times for a first timer. Best was 15.4 I believe... he had an awesome reaction time but just couldn't get his power down.
Hi,

Was that 97-98 mph his best trap time? Looks pretty low for a 400+ hp 9-5. I would have expected 110+ mph.

Best regards,

KK
Old 12-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

Hi,
Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
W

Some of the best pics:

cheers
Steve
I can't get enough of this feature:

"quad custom exhaust"

Sweetness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
"...expansion plenum Abbott 3"DP..."

what is this? the way DP should be -> slightly expanding for the first few centimeters after exhaust manifold?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in