|05-28-2009 04:39 AM|
|jonny72888||made one, it was ok. super stiff!!!. took it out when i sold my car. i still have half of one sitting around. it just need the polly poured in it.|
|05-27-2009 08:28 AM|
|GenuineSaab||I have some ugly prototypes that we are working on for the drag car. getting closer but still will most likely never be for street use.|
|05-26-2009 09:02 PM|
|Sleepy7666||I guess I like reviving old threads...What ever came of this mad scientist experiment with a rear poly mount?|
|09-27-2008 09:18 PM|
Cool mount btw
|09-27-2008 08:16 PM|
|09-27-2008 07:19 PM|
|Corn Cob||I am glad that with all the concentration involved with your welding project you didn't forget about keeping your under arm oder at a minimum.|
|09-27-2008 06:12 PM|
like i said, the welds are not pretty. it held 3 ton so im sure it will hold the engine. i put it in a press and had one end on a chain bolted to the floor and the other on the press and after 3 ton i stopped.
i just need to weld 2 more things and then pour the polly
|09-27-2008 05:34 PM|
|jonny72888||ill get pictures tomorrow, its raining and i just got all nice and cozzy.|
|09-27-2008 05:33 PM|
ok, mount #2 is almost ready to get tested!!!
i gave on waiting for the guy to weld it so i cut out all new metal and did it myself, its not pretty but its strong!
ill get some pictures tonight of whats done so far. i ran out of welding gas
|08-16-2008 09:35 AM|
|08-15-2008 10:16 PM|
|Heath||Nicholas that's a great looking Aero you linked to!|
|08-15-2008 09:52 PM|
Make Me number 5 person. I dont mind vibrations.
Other options may include using motor mounts from 240 volvos, and bmw e30s, if you drill a center hole between the bottom two holes in the subframe.
Just something I was looking into.
|08-15-2008 09:14 PM|
im not using the old mount over, i started from nothing and built it. i think i may be misunder standing what you are saying.
i have a bunch of things on my list of stuff to do but ill try to pull it out and get some pictures of it.
|08-15-2008 07:09 PM|
|spanky||I would buy one from you John.|
|08-15-2008 04:21 PM|
Way to go John!
|08-15-2008 04:02 PM|
I don't have a picture of the rear mount I killed on the viggen last time but in this one you can see some black around the edges of the orange urethane filling the trans mount. It reacts with the rubber after some time. This was a proof of concept test on my SS Aero
|08-15-2008 03:06 PM|
what do you mean it broke down? how come your other mounts have not?
if it works out good ill send you one and let me know what you think.
if the test one makes it 3000 miles of hard driving then ill let others try them, ill make 10 and give them out cheap or something. i know i need 4 for people so that leaves 6 for others.
|08-15-2008 02:37 PM|
|GenuineSaab||I ran into bonding issues. Initially the urethane will bond but after some time it will react and make a black goo. After that it was just the cone of the motor mount and pops the urethane out of place. Maybe you can get it to bond better. The trick is making it reasonable for street use. Especially when cold.|
|08-15-2008 01:12 PM|
|jonny72888||im not using the 3m window weld, i have a polyuerthane mix that i used.|
|08-14-2008 09:47 PM|
I've used the 3M Window Weld on several motor mounts over the years. It's a great way to "refresh" and "upgrade" them at the same time. Actually, I just installed a "refreshed" passenger side mount last night. I pulled the original to find the rubber completely severed in one place.
Give the old mount a thorough cleaning (purple power, brake parts cleaner, etc.) allow to dry, then pump it full of the urethane being careful not to introduce air bubbles. Allow it to cure for at least a couple days and bam, better than new!
My rear mount is untouched however. It does seem as though a mold would be necessary. I can't wait to check out your work.
|This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|