The Saab Link Forums - Reply to Topic

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 > spark plugs and info

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: spark plugs and info Reply to Thread
Title:
  
Message:
Trackback
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
06-15-2005 10:58 AM
Tweek's Turbos Make sure you don't drop anything into the engine.

And unless your old plugs are seriosly messed up. This wont help you beat a lexus in any way.
06-14-2005 12:31 PM
slaab4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehayes01
You need to make sure you are using a Spark Plug socket and not just a deep well socket. Also you may want to invest at some time in an O2 sensor socket as well if you ever plan to upgrade your downpipe.
Well, the one socket I do have is a spark plug socket, the width of it simply is too big to fig down into the plughole, guess I'll have to do some trial and error purchases.

As for an O2 sensor sockets, I'm not going to worry about it too much since I can go to Autozone and get the kit for a refundable charge of $10 (already done that once, not for the Saab though).
06-14-2005 09:34 AM
stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaab4life
Actually, I'm curious what socket you guys use for the spark plugs (like a company and part number)? Does Craftsman have one? I have the correct size one, but the diameter is too large to fit into the sparkplug recess. Just been using the one in the Saab 'toolkit'.

You need to make sure you are using a Spark Plug socket and not just a deep well socket. Also you may want to invest at some time in an O2 sensor socket as well if you ever plan to upgrade your downpipe.

NG900 ---- Don't waste your money on the iridiums. They will not do anything for you except last a little longer than the platinums and cost you 4x as much. I have run Platinums, Iridiums and the standard B7's. The only difference I found between any of the plugs is that the Bosch Platinums burned a little quicker. THe Iridiums gave me a slight misfire off/on. The BCP7e11's (number may be slightly wrong) have run the best in my car and oddly enough that is this the plug SAAB recommends for the Turbo cars atleast.
06-14-2005 06:07 AM
abdukted1456 just get one of those 15.99 ratchet and socket sets at advance auto or the local autostore, they have most of the sockets you will need including a nice spark plug socket.
06-13-2005 05:17 PM
slaab4life Actually, I'm curious what socket you guys use for the spark plugs (like a company and part number)? Does Craftsman have one? I have the correct size one, but the diameter is too large to fit into the sparkplug recess. Just been using the one in the Saab 'toolkit'.
05-17-2005 03:21 PM
mike saunders Lots. Of. Pictures.

Dip's site is right down your alley.

http://www.platonoff.com/auto/log.xtp
05-17-2005 01:00 PM
danthegolfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
dude where do you live if you are not far I will show you how to change the plugs,
Salem VA.. a good 9+ hour drive from u lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
or maybe a picture tutorial to come soon. I am one of those who needs pictures and explicit idiot proof directions or else I won't try it myself. then after i do it I think "that is all?" not so hard...
yeah im all about that kinda stuff lol
05-17-2005 09:50 AM
mike saunders
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthegolfer
edit: also, i dont disrespect anyone on here but this mike guy... and thers only ONE reason for that and its because he doesnt bother to help in any of his replies to posts i make... just look at these last recent 3 posts he just makes a mockery of me and other posts he has also told me to ge the haynes manual.. the sparkplug question is legitimate, and no one was unhelpful to the topic except for him.... its that simple... he doesnt show much respect towards me so why should i him ?
personally, i dont believe in respecting someone just because they are older than me, but i dont show that in forums really, i just show it ti people who dont respect me
No more mocking. Just basic replies and some answers from now on.

But two questions that doesn't really need an answer because it's enough for you to think about in your head: How much did you spend on a sport intake pipe and a new radio?

How much time have you wasted asking the most basic questions, time that you could have spent improving your car?

'nuff said.
05-17-2005 09:15 AM
abdukted1456 dude where do you live if you are not far I will show you how to change the plugs, it is simple. even an artist like me can do it. and i had never seen lock nuts before.

the most imporant thing is not to put them in too tight and to start them by gently hand with just the socket and extension and not the ratchet so they don't cross thread.

or maybe a picture tutorial to come soon. I am one of those who needs pictures and explicit idiot proof directions or else I won't try it myself. then after i do it I think "that is all?" not so hard...
05-17-2005 08:23 AM
ng900 In correction of one of my previous posts, the cars that have problems with the Platinum+ plugs are the ones with Direct Injection Cassettes (DI).

Dan, as for the cost, they're about 5 bucks a plug, a bit more expensive than others, but not by much, you can find them at Autozone usually, all the ones near me have them in stock. The Denso Iridium ones I want are 12 bucks a plug, and can only be ordered, so I'm waiting on those.

Incidentally guys, I don't have the manual either, since money is an issue and my parents watch everything I spend on (for no reason, I don't overspend, and I haven't since high school, 4 years ago). If I order the manual, they'll assume I'm trying to upgrade my car (which I am), and they forbid that, so I'm trying to find one around here where I can just slap down some cash. If nothing else, I'll get it once I'm away at school again this fall.
05-16-2005 06:13 PM
rcmdesign Dan don't get so anal over it. Just GET THE DAMN MANUAL

Mike's post was very helpful, he suggested to get the manual which will help you out a lot.
05-16-2005 06:02 PM
danthegolfer u peeps need to relax lol im not actually DISSING you im just tryin to get you to back off... it gets old when 80 fricking people have told u to get a manual and they dont help you AT ALL with your post, after al li thought thats what i though tpeople do here and for the most part you have

i freacking get the point dont need to be told 80 times by the same people to get a manual IM GETTING IM GOING TO GET ONE A SOON AS I GET 40 EXPENDABLE DOLLARS ok so just stop telling me to get a manual and just try to be helpful to my post.... thats all im saying

edit: also, i dont disrespect anyone on here but this mike guy... and thers only ONE reason for that and its because he doesnt bother to help in any of his replies to posts i make... just look at these last recent 3 posts he just makes a mockery of me and other posts he has also told me to ge the haynes manual.. the sparkplug question is legitimate, and no one was unhelpful to the topic except for him.... its that simple... he doesnt show much respect towards me so why should i him ?
personally, i dont believe in respecting someone just because they are older than me, but i dont show that in forums really, i just show it ti people who dont respect me
05-16-2005 05:59 PM
rcmdesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthegolfer
i get your point, im getting the manual now stop being lubed up anal tubes and just help me with my questions
You need to learn to respect other members Dan, especially the elder members like Mike. I'm not liking the attitude...
05-16-2005 05:31 PM
danthegolfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
RTFM!!!

Seriously...the best investment you can make is in a Haynes manual. It will tell you everything you need to know and more.
eww stop telling me this i get the point and im going to get one soon... get over it im sorry im 17 and dont have resources just readily available for me...

i get your point, im getting the manual now stop being lubed up anal tubes and just help me with my questions
05-16-2005 05:26 PM
mike saunders RTFM!!!

Seriously...the best investment you can make is in a Haynes manual. It will tell you everything you need to know and more.
05-16-2005 05:04 PM
danthegolfer aite, so about these spark plugs, im gonna need to know excatly wut to get otherwise the jack asses at advance that i described in my othe rpost, will tell me to get the wrong or expensive things... so i want the Bosch Platinum+4 plugs right? and hat wil lthey cost me approx? ... and im jsut makin sure im getting the right thing, im kinda lookin for a medium between performance and endurance

thx again
05-16-2005 05:58 AM
ng900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Leslie
If you do decide to take them out yourself, I've heard from both the other turbo guys on the site and the guy at the parts counter here in town that the platinum4+ plugs are garbage.
This is true for the turbos, there's some sort of problem with the platinum. But for N/A cars like his, they work great. I had a noticeable increase in performance after I put them in (granted my previous set had been basic plugs). What I really want however, is Denso Iridium plugs.
05-14-2005 11:06 AM
danthegolfer i went to ngk's website and it recoemmended these
Spark Plug................................Part No.
Standard..................................BCP6EV #
V-Power...................................BCPR6E
G-Power Platinum............... BCPR6EGP
Iridium IX.................................BCPR6EIX

would i get the G-Power Platinum ? or should i just get v-power or standard or...
05-14-2005 10:58 AM
rcmdesign Get NGK Gold Palladium spark plugs...like NGK6BPEV or something...I just tightened mine by hand, and then used the torque wrench to tighten a bit more...
05-14-2005 10:56 AM
danthegolfer yea, that is what i meant by the valve vover, that little recatngle thing that covers the spark plugs wires, which r the thing that come from the distributor... anyway, yea i do have the spark plug attachment thing for my ratchet, so no problems there

now back to what i need to know, what kinda spark plugs should i get if the platinum 4+ 's are bad, and also is it important i torque them in there to a particuluar torque or can i just tighten them... b/c i dont have a torque wrench...
This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright The Saab Link and it's original authors.


 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.