The Saab Link Forums - Reply to Topic

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information > Difficult decision for the fate of my Viggen (WARNING venting involved)

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3. is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Thread: Difficult decision for the fate of my Viggen (WARNING venting involved) Reply to Thread
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

Topic Review (Newest First)
04-11-2015 06:20 AM
Screaming Monkey Sorry for disappearing since then, been worrying about rentals and borrowing cars and such...... Anyways, thanks for all the advice guys. I think I may take the deal and then save the Viggen for later. I can do my own wrenching, just not now lol.

To answer the question on Location, I am in Chepachet RI (top left corner of the state)

To answer the question of how certain I am. TBH I am not, however the saab mechanic I took it too seemed positive it was. But regardless if it were a head gasket it would be easier for me to fix it up for a fun little weekend car, or back up. Its the black 4dr so I imagine it isn't as desired as a coupe or the lightning blue colored.

Once again Thank you all for the help, and the story of my "new" project car shall continue lol.
04-08-2015 09:00 PM
oliversexpedition Winner!

OP - Still recommend selling or storing and getting a daily driver.

Originally Posted by Cark View Post
Pulp Fiction, haha, used to quote it all the time!
04-08-2015 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by oliversexpedition View Post
That's pride ^&** with you (Name that movie).
Pulp Fiction, haha, used to quote it all the time!
04-08-2015 05:52 PM
oliversexpedition That's pride ^&** with you (Name that movie). Take the deal/assistance, two and you're out isn't worth the risk. Store or pick up another car to play with once you get out. Even if you didn't burn a piston, possible conrod and main rod bearings. If you pull the oil pan and see chunks of metal, good chance you've damaged a piston or other.
04-08-2015 02:05 PM
Tboy If you can't wrench on it yourself because of time/money, I'd move on.

I have a similar car, 2000 9-5 Aero with 250K miles. Recently rebuilt the engine myself and replaced the trans with a low mileage unit (original would not select reverse). Even with these good changes, there are still a host of other things to fail with a car that has 250K miles.

I was fortunate enough that a buddy and me split a 2001 Aero with 86K for parts. He took the drive train and I took the ENTIRE interior. So my car is in pretty good shape with an interior with less than 100k, new motor, and trans with 70K miles.

After all this work; I've had to replace: front and rear wheel bearing (still need to do the others), put new shocks on the front (still to do the back), All bushings etc are old, some hoses still may be original, had to replace both drive axles, brakes have not been touched (this is maint anyway), I think the alternator is original, had to put in a new water pump, replaced the AC compressor, and finally also replaced the radiator which was weeping.

So, I enjoy this, It is an extra car for our family, and I do the work myself. If I did not like doing the work, and couldn't afford to outsource, I'd be driving a new chevy malibu!

My advice if you really love it is save it till you have time to play. But you won't be able to count on it like a new car until much more work is performed and it will cost you money and time while it is repaired.

I think this dilemma is really only about the fact it is a viggen. Would I put this much work/time into a standard 9-5 with similar miles? No way. I also have a pretty special NG900, but I would sell that one right away if the right Viggen (even a project) came along.

Viggens are worth saving, so if you can stash it somewhere safe for a few years till you have time do so. Otherwise sell it to another enthusiast, and find another when you are ready.
04-08-2015 06:33 AM
Saabeh Where are you located? How certain are you that you have a busted piston? Could be just a headgasket which would be a weekends worth of work.
04-07-2015 11:12 PM
deegee i love saabs and would fix it or buy another one if i could
04-07-2015 07:22 PM
Screaming Monkey
Difficult decision for the fate of my Viggen (WARNING venting involved)

Sorry this is long winded, This is a venting as well as a cry for helpful advice.......

So I got the dreaded mayo in the filler neck with shot compression at 240k and was informed I cracked a piston or two(not sure how, as the highest I've taken this thing was to 5000 rpm and a 100mph......I digress) I already spent 3 on the car and `2.5k in repairs including the new clutch. I am also a college student in a medical program with a strict failure policy( if you miss 2 class regardless of reason you have to retake.) And I am going to be married in about a year and a half after graduation of course.

what I have done is listed as:
Clutch and corresponding parts
coolant hoses
front suspension
replaced the catalytic converter
and a new set of tires which I've used half the life of

Was told that
the fuel pump/ tank/ lines were all replaced

Whats wrong besides the engine is that the ac doesn't work.

My biggest concern is that If I fix a mostly original car that has 240k on it with a rebuilt engine or a swap it for a 160k engine for about a grand. I will essentially be shooting myself in the foot just with a delayed trigger pull.
Also since I have a very loving and caring family that sees me struggling with my history of cheap cars (I have had 4 cars all of which with engine failure....I don't beat on them I swear) they generously offered me a third option to pay up to 250 a month for a new car until I'm out of college and employed then I can take Pride is in the way of this option......again I digress.

What I am asking is if you were in a situation, what would you guys do with your knowledge/experience with these cars. I was originally told these things were good for 400k and well.....yeah. I am just torn with all my options. Hope any input can help.

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright The Saab Link and it's original authors.


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.