Wheels and Tires - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
Wheels and Tires

Just curious as to what everyone is running for both wheels and tires, how they like them and anything they would recomend or recomend against.

Im running a 900SE right now with the stock Viking wheels and Nokian snows. Come spring time she will be in need of new summer tires so I figured what better time to do wheels. The past few summers I had run Pirellis and was not tickled to death by overall performance - dry was good but wet lacked.

My though process is leaving the Nokian's on the Vikings for the winter and Im leaning towards either a pair of 18" BBS CH's (not sure if I like the "spoked" look yet, anyone have pics of a Saab with the BBS's on it?) or a pair of Saab 17"'s (there are a few different styles I like). Being a New England driver, pot holes and shitty roads are everywhere so strength is something Im really interested in; which leans me towards 17's for the higher profile and protection. Right now 2 of my Vikings are bent - not horribly but you can see it when you throw them on a balancer. Obviously performance is the second key thing Im looking for; ride quality is also important but not as much as performance and strength.

So post up what your running for BOTH wheels and tires and how you like em!

Thanks in advance,
Coop

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Currently I've got my stock 16" super aeros w/winterforce snows on....not a bad combination. For the summers I've got 17" Ronal RTs with Sumitomo htr-ZII. The Ronals are excellent wheels...good looks, tough paint and pretty strong. As for the tires...you get what you pay for...I won't be purchasing those again. They were great for about 10,000 miles but just got increasingly noisy as they started to wear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Elder

I have the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S All Seasons ($118 each) and they are horrible. I used to have Kumho Ecsta Supras 712 High Performance Summer ($82 each). Granted the pirellis are a little better in the snow, but on dry ground they just don't cut it. I used to be able to take turns at high speeds with my Kumhos, with these Pirellis I actually got into an accident because the tires just slipped around a turn that my Kumhos would have been able to handle. I also have the ASA JH3 17x7.5 rims, which are amazing. High recommend them, strong as hell too.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Elder

yeah thats why its better to stay away from all season tires..it just means a tire thats bas in wet, dry, and snow. if you want safety you have to have dedicated snows and summers.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Send a message via AIM to Pcguad5 Send a message via Yahoo to Pcguad5
i have a 900s with 17" rims with ventus2 i think thats what they are... and i have my stock rims but nuthing good. i went from 195 to 225 so much better but also heavy but w.e.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to WyldSaabMan
the CH's are pretty cool, but 18's can get a little crazy with pot holes...they are strong rims but eek. they can also cause some rubbing

I have the BBS rk's only 17 lbs each and look hot!

04 Yamaha YZF600R
00 Polaris XC700
99 Saab 9-3-RIP
98 900s N/A-RIP
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #7

Don't skimp on rubber. I've known people to trick out their car with all sorts of expensive pretty bits then slap on a set of cheap-ass Brand X tires to save a couple hundred bucks....

I lucked out and found a set of crazy cheap 9-3 SS Aero BBS wheels and put on BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2.

Best handling set of tires I've ever owned, by far. Super sticky on dry pavement, great traction in rain. No sense of hydroplaning at all. Only drawback is that they're noticeably noisy just between 40 and 43 mph...no lie. Just that brief interval...
Old 02-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I got Federal SS595 for summer. Word is they make tires for Bridgestone. They were a great price. Awesome grip and stiff side walls. I should get 2 years out of the front tires since they wear due to a soft compound. (I don't rotate tires anymore) Which I don't mind since after 2 or 3 years the rubber hardens with age. The low price just allows for constant fresh sticky rubber. They are on the BBS Saab Talladega wheels.
I am using Gislaved Nord Frost 3 for winter on steels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss595.jpg (8.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Trollerator
Elder

good to hear those tires work out well for you, Mike. I was thinking about getting that rubber this spring.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 02-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
Don't skimp on rubber. I've known people to trick out their car with all sorts of expensive pretty bits then slap on a set of cheap-ass Brand X tires to save a couple hundred bucks....

I lucked out and found a set of crazy cheap 9-3 SS Aero BBS wheels and put on BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2.

Best handling set of tires I've ever owned, by far. Super sticky on dry pavement, great traction in rain. No sense of hydroplaning at all. Only drawback is that they're noticeably noisy just between 40 and 43 mph...no lie. Just that brief interval...
I too have these tires. They are fantastic in both dry and wet weather. They are a bit noisy like Mike said though. Need to make sure to rotate them. I have them mounted on 17" BBS RK II's.

For winter I am using the stock 16" 5-spoke wheels that came with my SE with Dunlop M3 Wintersports. Today was the first REAL snow they had to deal with and they did superbly.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:35 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
my tires are pzwero nero m+s pirellis i love em
Old 02-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to BluAero
Winter - Pirelli Winter-carving on 15" steelies.
Summer - 16" Aero's with Toyo Proxes Z24.

The Summers are all-season. They aren't too bad, but I got them with the car and they need replacing. One leaks, One has a bubble in it, two are about 20% tread left. Rain isn't too bad either they made it through Saabtoberfest 05' and I was driving pretty spiritedly in the wet. I will definately be getting a pair of Performance summer though.

The Winters are absolutely superb. I got them off tirerack at $61 a tire and $25 for steelies. They are supposedly a very similar tread design for the nokian hakka's 1 and I definately believe it! You definately get a deal with these tires. Just today they handled great in 4 inches of snow.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
summer, 17 inch ASA EM9's, dont know what im gunna do for tires yet, last year i had yoko Parada Spec-2's, which were kick ass on dry, but if someone spit on the asphault, you would slide on it
so saabtoberfest was tons of fun with those tires, all that flooding in NE that weekend and i drove through all that rain, there were many a times i thought i was going to die

winter
stock 99 9-3 15's with ancient m+s tires from our 9000 that we sold 5 years ago....they are alright in snow, and shitty on pavement

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in