Opinions on Viggen Vert project - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #1
Elder

Opinions on Viggen Vert project

So I am starting to work on Drew's old 2000 LB Viggen Vert. I was orignally going to scrounge parts and build a 235 with some old Wossners, T5 cams and whatever else I had hanging around.

ANyhoo, then I found an engine that had the short block replaced under the sludge warranty that only has 2000 miles on it. I am tempted just to swap as is ( but rebuild the turbo that has 100K on it) Suince its so light on the miles the engine will need no machine work excpet to swap out pistons and I am not sure its worth the added expense to pull it apart to balance (i think)

Since the motor is out will take a look at the clutch and change easy to reach sensors and other parts, but is it worth busting into the block to swap out teh pistons, or should I just maybe add the cams, rebuild to a 18t or 19t turbo and keep the build just under 300 HP? Remember its a lightning blue vert, kinda rare.

I am tryig to pull the trigger soon on whether to send it off the machine shop or not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Remember, the vert is an even more flexy chassis then the 3 and 5 door.
The big question is, will you be satisfied with stock power levels?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #3

If you're super positive about keeping the power under or around 300, then you're probably OK with the stock slugs.

But if you were just changing pistons, then you wouldn't need to rebalance, just weigh piston assemblies and keep the existing rods in the same bores

Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
I like the fresh engine with the wossners plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
If you're super positive about keeping the power under or around 300, then you're probably OK with the stock slugs.

But if you were just changing pistons, then you wouldn't need to rebalance, just weigh piston assemblies and keep the existing rods in the same bores
Yeah but man they got the 9-5 so close to perfect it humms, its so smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
I like the fresh engine with the wossners plan.
I am going to call the shop and see what the machist says, if he doesn't have to do much except swap the pistons, could be pretty cheap.

Edit>>> talked to the machine shop, he said run it, not worth tearing it down if it truly has only 2000 miles. So I will do a light upgrade, conservative tune ( and put in an AFR gauge)

Last edited by jssaab; 02-27-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
If it was already balanced then no need to balance again with the wossners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
gm
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Like stated flexy chassis thus to much power would be scary I would think.

My viggen uses stock internals, -18t, t5 cams and a mild tune and its a great setup. Of coarse I would love more power and if my engine was out and I had the funds w/o a doubt I would yank the oem pistons, I would of done that 90k miles ago if I could. I worry all the time about killing a piston, similar worry back when I had a c900..... Except it was the Trans I was worried about with that car.

-if you have the funds I would swap pistons then nothing to worry about with the engine!

Saabless for the first time since 1986
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Edit>>> talked to the machine shop, he said run it, not worth tearing it down if it truly has only 2000 miles. So I will do a light upgrade, conservative tune ( and put in an AFR gauge)
Why would it have been replaced under warranty if nothing was wrong? The sludge warranty only covered replacements?

Was the block replaced, and then there's only 2000 miles on that?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Elder

Yes short block replacement due to sludge Car was only driven 1000 per year after replacement.

It is a brand new bottom end. The guy that does my machine work is anal and would want to the bores and polish the crank.

I guess I can talk to the mechanic and see if he thinks just tossing in the positions would be okay.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
Yes short block replacement due to sludge Car was only driven 1000 per year after replacement.

It is a brand new bottom end. The guy that does my machine work is anal and would want to the bores and polish the crank.

I guess I can talk to the mechanic and see if he thinks just tossing in the positions would be okay.
I wouldn't "toss the pistons in" without at least a hone (so the rings seal correctly). I'd probably have the crank polished as well, and have everything balanced.

Better to do it right the first time, than to waste money and time having to do it again.

Just my opinion.
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Everyone talks about the strength and durability of forged pistons but then you see a bunch of info saying they suck in daily driving and the engine actually needs to be rebuilt a whole lot sooner than with standard cast. I've got a Viggen I bought nearly new, 165K miles on a basic stage 3-ish tune and the thing just goes - cold weather, commuting, occasional track day, whatever. Burns no oil and asks nothing of me. Can you expect that from forged pistons?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevbd View Post
Everyone talks about the strength and durability of forged pistons but then you see a bunch of info saying they suck in daily driving and the engine actually needs to be rebuilt a whole lot sooner than with standard cast. I've got a Viggen I bought nearly new, 165K miles on a basic stage 3-ish tune and the thing just goes - cold weather, commuting, occasional track day, whatever. Burns no oil and asks nothing of me. Can you expect that from forged pistons?
Yes.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Elder

I'm in the same boat as you. I was originally planning on replacing a damaged piston with a new one on my 02 Viggen Vert. I ended up going to 90.5mm Wossners with a bore / hone, de-carboned valves, decked head, and polished crank. More $$ but well worth it in my opinion. New clutch, timing kit, and PCV system as well
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
I wouldn't "toss the pistons in" without at least a hone (so the rings seal correctly). I'd probably have the crank polished as well, and have everything balanced.

Better to do it right the first time, than to waste money and time having to do it again.

Just my opinion.
This is what the machine shop said but if the block has only 2K on it I would wonder why all this is needed. I could just use a ball hone ( but if the hone marks are still there doe sit need it) and I would not even pull the crank bearings just the rod, would it need to be polished...

ALso sorry this got stuck in the NA thread--- move if warranted...
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Elder

I have had excellent luck with wossner pistons. Cold weather has given me zero issues. Not even cold piston clack that some people wit JE pistons have experienced. My cylinders were bored 1 over and honed. (my 9000 aero). My friends MCY viggen also has wossners bored 1 over and he's had no issues in 6 years. He drives the living shit out of it. Of course we both did nothing half ass when rebuilding our motors. If you plan on going to a gt30 I would definitely go with wossner or forged pistons. Good luck with your build
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Avid TSL User

wrong sub forum on this one?

lol i looked at the last post next to the n/a tuning forum and said please do not swap an na into a vigg, and if you are id love to do an even trade for my stock ng bumpers for the viggen ones
Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

Hey Saab family I just did JE pistons from GS for my viggen I got the one over stock size I'm keeping the stock rods do I need to get it balance ??
Thank you!!
JONESY
Old 03-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Elder

Have the crank mic'd and polished at a shop. New bearings too, let them tell you what size to get. Make sure you do thrust bearings too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAERO View Post
Hey Saab family I just did JE pistons from GS for my viggen I got the one over stock size I'm keeping the stock rods do I need to get it balance ??
Thank you!!
JONESY
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAERO View Post
Thank you!!
JONESY
Yes. Get it all balanced (rods and pistons), get the crank polished, new bearings, obviously have the block decked, bored .020, etc...
1 Mercedes
Complete Addict.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
SAABeginner

It's all in the attention to detail. Just slap the pistons in with a quick hone for the rings. If you ever decide to up the power your in a better/safer position to.then all u have to worry about is chassis flex .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in