Saab Link Forums banner

just got my 96 900 convert

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mike d 
#1 ·
I was wondering what is the best performance updates short of turbo and n2o for the 2.3.

#5 ·
I used to mess around with my NA a bit to try and get some more performance out of it. I did a custom CAI which didn't really show any performance gain, maybe a bit up top, but did make a nice sound. I made a custom bend pipe much like the GS one Legit linked and it added A LOT of sound, became pretty loud actually, but only showed minimal up top performance improvement, more than the intake however.

Grkguy had a ported throttle body and ported intake manifold on his NA at one point, and he said it showed a pretty good performance boost. My guess is that with all 4 you should notice an improvement.

I have since given up on making the NA go faster, it does get out of its own way though but it is no screamer by ANY means.

#6 ·
dont forget about my headers with no cat... that helped a good amount too

i had the headers, intake, ported manifold and tb, tb spacer, and phenolic spacer
plus a cat-back
held its ground pretty well against a strock turbo with an auto

but like others will suggest to you its best to do handling mods first, it will make the car feel so much better, then work to get more power

i think if i had thrown on a T7 head (better flowing) i would've seen much better gains from the things i had done to my n/a

#8 ·
sadly, unless your car has a pristine body, the most cost effective option would be to sell it and find a turbo car, the difference in price is about the same as any worthwhile power upgrade

that being said, a good set of springs and shocks (aftermarket/lowering) is a great upgrade, i think cars that handle good are way more fun to drive than cars that go fast in a straight line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.