Is it worth it? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
TSLMember

Is it worth it?

It's actually pretty depressing saying this, but is putting money into my 900S, worth it? I mean, I'm not exactly made of money, and this car won't exactly ever be fast. I've been thinking about maybe getting intake, Rear ARB, exhaust... but I'm asking myself now if it's worth it. I've thought of selling it, and getting a turbo model, but I don't realistically see that happening, the time required to sell, then finding a good deal on a new car, and then taking the time and money to look at the cars... I really wish it was as simple as buying a turbocharger and bolting it on my engine (nevermind the boost gauge )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Elder

Atleast you are realizing the truth - best bet - give yourself a budget - when you hit that point you make a decission - leave it as it is and just drive it - or sell it and upgrade to true power. Nothing wrong with an n/a - just don't dump an 'ass ton" into the car unless that's what you truely want to do. You'll get much more response and power for your dollar however modding a Turbo car. Best mods for an n/a are intake/exhaust.
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
thats what im realizing too, thats why im doing mainly audio upgrade and stuff like that. however the rear sway bar is well worth it, even for just daily driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers

Old 08-20-2005, 05:18 AM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to BORKAT Send a message via Yahoo to BORKAT
Yeah I would just stick to things that you know you can swap into a turbo. Like ICE. Just keep your stock parts and don't cut any plugs. Treat the car as if it were a lease. Then you'll have all that stuff and when you get a turbo you can just install all of it in there and start to spend money on go fast parts. An NA owner with some sense is a breath of fresh air. Although, I do like RCM. He gets teased for all his zaniness but he takes it all in good humor. Getting to excited over an NA car is a little like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
TSLMember

So from what I've read, I really should get the rear ARB for my next mod, as it really improves handling and can be swapped with a 900/9-3 turbo. Thx for the replies... and how cheap do you think I can get a 1995 (or later) turbo vert in the connecticut area?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #6

You can get a 96-97 900SE for about $3,000 in ok shape, high miles. A little more dough will get you fewer miles and better cosmetics....
Old 08-20-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
TSLMember

Well, I still think I'm not gonna end up selling anytime soon. I am 17, its just too hard to do the whole selling thing, then find a good convertible replacement... Plus I'd have to ask the parents about it, they'd likely say no (a turbo wouldn't sound very favorable, the mom doesn't like me driving fast anyways)
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to MistaSantos
Skip the exhaust, buy a nice tip. Definetly buy the rear ARB, heard very good things about the genuine saab N/A intake (it's on my list) and finally 6 point subframe brace a must for verts! and all can be taken to the turbo!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaSantos
Skip the exhaust, buy a nice tip.
Is this a joke?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
SAAB Road Master

On an N/A engine a sport exhaust doesn't make much of a diffirence to justify the money spent on it and will make your car really loud! Unless you buy one of the exhausts specific for an N/A engine and they start at around $450 trust me I have researched this topic in every forum I could find.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #11

MistaSantos, the sport exhaust is actually one of the few things that will help the n/a car develop power. You're fully dependent on the ability of the engine to breathe better, since you're not able to force the fuel/air mix into the engine....

Do a search on n/a performance options, and you'll find that an exhaust is one of the first round of things to do, next to an intake and cams...
Old 08-31-2005, 05:29 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

It does help performance but not as much as in a turbo, that's considering you can tolerate the excessive sound that the saab sport exhaust produces on an N/A car. SwedishDynamics carried the FOX sport exhaust thats made for the N/A and saabsite has one too but there in the $450-$600 I don't think it's worth it for the 7-10hp that you would get out of it. I rather spend that on an intake an suspension mods or a "Powerchip" ecu that gives you 15hp on bone stock N/A as long as you pump strictly 93oct. in your car for $500. I've come to terms with the reali$tic capabilities of my car. Therefore I have concentrated on suspension mods and trying to make the car look better.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stromer
I figure that a header back exhaust on a N/A and intake are the best things you can do. Heck I'd get a new header if you could. That is probably the best bang for the buck. The problem is that no mods give you as much of a bang as they do on a turbo car. Its a bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in