throttle body coolant bypass on/off valve - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
throttle body coolant bypass on/off valve

hey i was reading on another post somehwere on here about people doing it... but the instructions werent very specific and im retarded u know how that goes...

http://hometown.aol.com/meanmrmayo/diy.html <--- near the bottom

so anyyway, has anyone done this? is it hard to do? what thing do i need... like i know i need an on/off valve from home depot... but what size? and how do i connect the coolant hoses to the on off valve and then to the throttle body?

EDIT: i see i need barbed fittings, but like how do they stay in there? and what are hose clamps?

why is it called coolant if it heats up the throttle body?

where is the coolant line that connects to the throttle body? i dont even know which one it is... if u could save the below pic in paint and then draw an arrow and repost it, that would be great...

see i told u i dont know anything?

btw, has anyone done this and if so noticed any improvements or problems?

also, if you havent done this but you have bypassed the coolant from the throttle body, id like to know about that too/how it is done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
Wait are you talking about eliminating the emmisions control system where it recirculates exhaust into the intake tract?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Leslie
Wait are you talking about eliminating the emmisions control system where it recirculates exhaust into the intake tract?
wow that shit just went way over my head lol

and nah. i dont think im talking about that... its the coolant... well i dont know... someone has to know just check outt hat website and see.. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers

Old 06-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #4

It's called coolant because it cools the engine. (Haven't you bought that manual yet?) It's also what heats the car. You should be covering principles of thermal exchange in senior year.

The coolant circulates in the throttle body to eliminate the possibility of icing during freezing weather. My TB doesn't have the coolant recirc any more, and I haven't noticed any changes because it hasn't been freezing out. You can re-route it, or leave it alone, which is what I would do because....

It's not going to help you much. Any gains done by this mod are going to be incremental anyway, and your intake air is already cooler than a turbo's.

Leave it be.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #5

i wanna be cool and have an on off valve in my engine bay tho.. than i could tell dumb kids (dumber than me atleasT) thats its for my NOS

Completed Mods:
Old 06-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthegolfer
i wanna be cool and have an on off valve in my engine bay tho.. than i could tell dumb kids (dumber than me atleasT) thats its for my NOS
You set yourself up for this, but are there any out there?

lol. I haven't done the coolant bypass, but you don't need an ON/OFF switch because the coolant still needs to keep flowing...YOu are just taking the two coolant lines that connect to the throttle body (the bigger ones, not the tiny tubes) and connecting them together...

EDIT: Dan, the coolant lines in your engine bay on the throttle body are the only ones with the blue, i can't think of the correct name right now, connector thingy that holds them onto the throttle body...see em?

Old 06-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to slaab4life Send a message via MSN to slaab4life
Attached is the arrowed coolant lines. What direction the coolant flows through the TB I don't know.

If you want to play pretend NOS system valves, just duct tape one of those ball valves to something.

Now I'm am curious about the AMM mod this guy talks about. He says to remove the metal mesh from the C900 AMM, but then we're driving NG900's. Would their be any improvement if you remove that plastic "screen" from the AMM?
Car salesman: But it only had one previous owner....James Bond!
Peter: I\'ll take it!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #8

ahh i can help u on this one! rob did a thing about it on another post.. heres the link....

https://www.saablink.net/TSL/saabforu...pic.php?t=3925

im not sure they ever came to a final conclusion, but they wer thinking that it smooths out the airflow over the AMM... im gonna leave mine in.

Completed Mods:
Old 06-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Elder

The coolant flows in the opposite direction of his arrows in that picture above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in