dad problems - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
dad problems

as expected, my dad is getting on my case for taking off the insulator thing attached to the underside of the hood. he claims that is there to protect the paint and that without it the paint is going to start chipping off.... and he wont accept my answer that its a sound insulator and that 8000000 ng900's have taken it off with no problems.... is there anything i can show him to prove its not going to mess with the paint? can anyone leave a reply that will tell him that its not a paint protector ? *sigh* thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #2

As much as it pains me to say this, being the father of four, you're right.

But...

There's really not much reason for you to take it off because you don't have a turbo and you're not creating the kind of underhood temps that would compromise performance by keeping intake temps high.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #3

so let me just confirm this, that I am correct that it won't do anythign to the paint? and is there anywhere it says this because he probably wont trust "some random people on the internet"..... or can i find a bucnh of pics of people with the hood popped and no insulator thingy? thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers

Old 05-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

another great weight reduction for us non-turbo folk would be to drain the washerfluid, but definately, removing the underhood lining is by far the best weight reduction method, far greater than removing the rear seats or anything heavy

lol, dude, you wont notice a difference either way, our engines don't get hot enough, and no, it wont chip your paint, or anything like that

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #5
Admin
Elder

Send a message via AIM to snow4_1man
I took off mine in my car a couple months ago, no difference at all just louder. Its not going to hurt your paint. My dad said the same thing at first but it worked out fine.
99 LTB Vig - Awesome Rally Crash! - RIP
99 LTB Vig - Sold

Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
im taking mine off 2morrow

tell yur pops not to trip..... tell him if it chips the paint yull fix it....
Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
hate to play devils advocate here, but one of the reasons for the hood insulation is indeed for the paint. ever feel your hood on a very hot day after it's been running for hours? it's damn hot! automotive paint is not rated for 300+ degrees, and an exhaust manifold is what, 1600? granted your hood is not 1600 degrees, but it might very well be around 250. it *could* in theory shorten the paint life. I doubt it would last less than 10 years, and that's probably longer than the lifespan of your typical GM-900

anyway, what the hell does your dad have to do with this? he inspects under your hood? Wonder what else of yours he inspects...
Old 05-18-2005, 08:52 PM   #8

perv.

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Old 05-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
Yeah I kind of agree with delorean. I would just leave it on...make your dad happy, plus make things easier on your Dual 7500 or whatever ha. It can't make your NA that much faster to remove it, you arent some sort of professional racer, and paint is kind of expensive... I'll stick with leaving mine on personally
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Here is a happy medium, this is what I did.

Remove it, then take some of the silver insulation tape, (Not Duct Tape) and put a few strips of it just above the manifold and turbo, on the hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-19-2005, 05:58 AM   #11
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to ng900
Dan, man, I hear you, I know where you're coming from. My dad gave me crap just for putting clear side markers in, and for having blue-ish hyper white bulbs it them. Thank God he doesn't look under the hood, he'd freak.

Just be patient, once you're away to college in a year or so (depending on what year you are in high school), you'll have a bit more freedom with the car.

ng900 on cardomain.com
exdrivers = team on cardomain.com
1995 ng900s 2.3 N/A w/ mods
Old 05-19-2005, 06:01 AM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

dude just leave it. you have not turbo. what do you expect you will gain besides possibly ruining your hood?

And I totally undertstand about the parents thing. my parents were way toooo strict and for no reason. sometime they would look into my trash basket in my room to see if I ate any candy or soda before dinner. then i would get in trouble if they found wrappers from a twix bar....

for real. and I once got accused of "doing drugs" because I didn't want a ride to the pool, I wanted to walk a few blocks with my buddies and not be seen with the parents.

just leave the insulation and then focus your efforts on doing well in school so you can get away and go to college, eat tons of candy and drink tons of soda and beer, do lots of drugs and remove your hood insulation. no one can stop you at that point...

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
eat tons of candy and drink tons of soda and beer, do lots of drugs and remove your hood insulation....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456
my parents were way toooo strict and for no reason. sometime they would look into my trash basket in my room to see if I ate any candy or soda before dinner. then i would get in trouble if they found wrappers from a twix bar....

for real. and I once got accused of "doing drugs" because I didn't want a ride to the pool, I wanted to walk a few blocks with my buddies and not be seen with the parents.
man, your parents really sound psycho... if my parents were like that, someone would probably end up dead
Old 05-19-2005, 11:58 AM   #15

lol im not removing it for weight reduction or anything, im just takin it off cuz i like how it looks.... about heat, i highly doubt the hood gets to 250... i know sumtimes if u touch it that it is hot, but keep in mind water boils at 212 and its not like if u put water on the hood its gonna start boiling......

and yeah my dad is kinda restrictive like that, and the reason he cares so much about it is because he OWNS it... i drive it and make it better tho.... lol

Completed Mods:
Old 05-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #16

Oooooohhhh....It's his car?

Well, then that's different.

Leave the man's car alone. When you get your own car, then you can do anything you want to it.

Paint it purple, put on huge ass 22 inch wheels, a massive fart can muffler, underbody neon, a fake blow-off valve, zebra-fur seats, a waterbed in the hatch...anything you want...when it's your car!

Old 05-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
Elder

the term "leach" comes to mind

I'm just kidding...
Old 05-20-2005, 07:07 AM   #18
Trollerator
Elder

I still think you need to go to college and do lots of drugs

I can see the girls gone wild video empire expanding...

"kids gone wild: removing hood insulation"

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 05-20-2005, 05:36 PM   #19

haha "kid's gone wild"

i honestly don't think it's right that you encourage him to do drugs, and it actually offends me in a small amount because my best friend recently died because of drugs.

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
ok dont do lots of drugs...but a blunt to the face once a day, everyday, never hurt anybody

but lets not get into that whole 'gateway' discussion

Next: smoked tail lights possibly...
Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in