oh god... octane booster - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
oh god... octane booster

hi there! feel free to make a mockery of me if u desire, but i really am wondeirng about this stuff.... NOT THAT I AM GOING TO GET IT, IM JUST WONDERING IF IT WORKS

it seems like one of those fake things, like a Tornado or a leafblower or soemthign that doesntreally do anything, but what the hell everyone knows im a dumbass so i'll ask anyway

do these octane booster liquids work at all? on the back of the bottle it says "for off raod use only"... now what does that mean... i asked the advance guy (oh god, yes the advance guy, and yes this was at the same time all the intake stuff happened) why it said that, ad he said its b/c it could eat up your cat (catylitic converter i suppose is wut he meant, b/c im sure as hell not puttin that shit near my pet feline)

does it work? does it screw anything up?

also, in the owners manual it says 87 octance gas for meh car.... does that mean i should not put 89 octane or anything like that in it uder any circumstance ?

yes i know im dumb, feel free to make a mockery of me as long as uanswer sum of my fricking sweet questions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

www.GOOGLE.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
Higher octane rating means that it burns hotter, and cleaner. Higher octane gas is also necessary on high compression/ high boost engines in order to avoid detonation. I would imagine that some of that stuff works, but I have no personal experience. Consider yourself lucky that your car sugguests that you use regular grade, its less expensive and you can run premium when you plan on beating on your car. I run premium in my Turbo all the time. I cannot think of any reason why running higher octane pump gas would ever hurt your car...

Old 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #4

dude purenordic that is one freaking sweet link! is that new kind of search engine? it looks awesome!!! rawr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Old 05-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Heres a little push in the right direction http://www.google.com/search?q=octan...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 05-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #6

also, i guess another question would be, if i get the mixture right, would 89 octane gas be the same thing as 87 octane gas with some of the octane booster in it? if so, that could possibly be a cheaper way to get higgher octane gas (dpending on how much ur gonna get)

Completed Mods:
Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #7

Your car is actually designed to run properly on a range of fuel, so increasing the octane for a short term isn't going to damage anything....

But check the manual though...
Old 05-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

I cannot see how spending 5$ for a thing of octane booster for a tank of gas can be cheaper then spending an extra 10 cents a gallon on gas....
Old 05-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #9

so does this just further add to my other arguemnt about this dude that works at advance who is tryin to tell me that it will eat up my cat??

Completed Mods:
Old 05-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Basically he gets paid to be you
Old 05-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #11

lol sweet, u guys should start payin me, really i could make good recomendations like getting that sweet 10 dollar bolt on tip from advance it makes a 25 horsepower difference not to mention the sound! gosh! h and dont forget the sweet led windshieler washer fluidnshooter thins, they are a must for any real car!!!

Completed Mods:
Old 05-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

Yeah maybe Purenordic is right... have you considered advance as a job opportunity?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #13

Had a friend that tried the octane booster as a joke...he even went as far as getting the brand from "NOS" haha..it was in good fun...but what do you know...we noticed some difference...very , very slim but some... He used it to recieve the high octane burn every now and then...cleans out the system. I mean, higher octane isnt bad. All I run is premium. So, hey, try it if you want, this test was done on a turbo saab so, you might not get ANY increase whatsoever since youre NA sorry, had to throw th at in there. I wouldnt suggest it as an alternative to buying prem. gas though...thats a lil outrageous. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
Avid TSL User

Ehhh sounds a little sketchy. Not to say you and your friend are lying but are you sure the difference wasn't all in his head? Whenever I buy things always pretend they are good.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureNordicPower
Basically he gets paid to be you

HAHAHAHAHAH

laughing with you dan... with you....

i dunno i think Dan might be here asking all these questions to keep us on our toes..... right dan?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
the only octane booster that i know of that actually truly works is Torco Accelerator. Advance doesnt have it ( ) but you can get it online...for like $15 a can. and a can does a tank of gas more or less.

all the ones that are at advance and the like raise your octane by 2-3 *points* now thats not like from 93 octane up to 95 octane like youd think... thats from 93 octane up to a whopping 93.2 octane .

theyre a joke, and your car wont even benefit from more octane, save your gas money for a turbo

Paul

Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Actually LL the higher the Octane the cooler the burn. Thats why it works so well with our hot compressed airstreams.

Also too much octane in combustion will decrease performance, since the gasses don't expand as much as they should.

The motronic system wouldn't be able to compensate timing for the higher octane. The only thing I could thing of, is manually adjusting your timing but you will probably need high octane all of the time, and could really mess up your engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 05-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Leslie
I cannot see how spending 5$ for a thing of octane booster for a tank of gas can be cheaper then spending an extra 10 cents a gallon on gas....
the bottles are like $1.37 or seomthign like that......

Completed Mods:
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #19

thx for the help tho, i figured it wouldnt really do much and thats why i asked...

Completed Mods:
Old 05-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Look up the Hot Rod magazine tests for Octane boosters on their motor and you will see that with 87 octane and 104+ booster they made more power than without the booster on 36 degrees timing (on a V- . I can attest that I have seen a car on the dyno that was turbocharged running 89 octane that had the NOS offroad formula added to it and saw a 13HP top end gain on HP. THe NOS brand will run you like 10 bucks so save the money and add it to buying premium gas instead. But if you want to run one thats cool as long as you dont expect miracle results from it you wont get disappointed and you will get a cleaner fuel system since most of them add cleaner additives to the mix.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in