Saab Link Forums banner

last minute race mods

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  danthegolfer 
#1 ·
hey im gonna get in a race 2moro with a lexus ES300, and im gonna need to do all i can to beat this guy, it could be for 50 bucks

a few things i am gonna do to lighten er up is taking out the spare tire and the rear seats

what else can i do? i need my fastest 0-60 time here... should i take out the air filter? not much can happen in just a 5 minute period....

any other last minute things? my tank right now is sittin at just below 1/4 so im in good shape there, anything else u guys can think of? im also goin to check my sark plugs and maybe replace them, but that depends on my other post

#2 ·
danthegolfer said:
should i take out the air filter? not much can happen in just a 5 minute period....
NO geezus man.... just leave it in.......

id say slap on a turbo charger!! haha

drain the oil a tad too... hahaha

just shift well....
take out seats and tire yeah... sure... but i duno man just race him aint that much you can do.....

#5 ·
danthegolfer said:
why should i leave it in? its not like much is gonna get sucked into my engine in the 2 minutes i have it out.. then the air wont be restricted at it can just flow right thru...
Okay so take it out man....It's not going to improve your airflow enough to notice any different in power other than what your brain imagines.

Yeah, not much will get sucked in, unless you happen to have a stone kicked up or a dead leaf blowing by or some pollen in the air that then enters into your engine at 5500 rpm.....

Is it really worth it to you?

I dont think that the air filter is going to decide the race, and it seems to me that no good can come from you pulling it for this purpose.

#6 ·
danthegolfer said:
why should i leave it in? its not like much is gonna get sucked into my engine in the 2 minutes i have it out.. then the air wont be restricted at it can just flow right thru...
It only takes 2 seconds to suck something up, a small rock, a lose nut. May not be as bad on an N/A but I still would not do it. Go buy a open element cone filter before the race and slap that on

#8 ·
lol stfu, i wasnt being 100% serious on the filter idea, but anyway its not like a rock or pretty much anything can get in there... its frcking up in the middle of my car (completely stock) the sucker thingy is behind the headlight... no way anyhting can get in there except maybe a tiny bit of dust... im not actually goin to take it out tho

but seriously, im gonna need a PERFECT launch to beat this guy, its gonna be close as hell if i get a good launch, and if i dont get one im screwed

im planning on having it about 3k and slwly drop the clutch that way i dont spin the tires which arent the best tires for racing... but o well

#15 ·
Yeah I would hesitate to bet 50$ on that. With the 50 dollars you would lose, you could buy a new KN cone filter and eliminate your odd idea about running filterless... My dad has an ES300, and I've driven it a lot. They aren't exactly slow, and in sport mode they wind out and shift pretty quick. My 88 9000 turbo was about the same quickness, it probably only felt faster because it was a manual. You aren't going to win with an NA

#16 ·
Try a training to some 80's rock. Like Rocky. I recomend the song push it to the limit by Paul Engemann. Do you know anyone who's died recently? It helps to flash back to that person while you train for inspiration.

#17 ·
Being perfectly honest, I don't think you're going to win. The Japanese cars have a better launch usually, and most Lexus cars are pretty quick. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that ES300 is a 3.3 liter 225 horse V6 stock. Even a turbo ng900/9-3 would have trouble.

It's fine to race it to see how you'll do, but don't bet money. I'm not trying to get down on you dude, I used to be in your shoes, I knew less than nothing about cars. Fortunately I fell in with some good racers and mechanics, so I've learned a lot. That's why I suggest racing anyway just to see what happens. If you get in with the racing crowd, you'll start picking stuff up fast. A year ago all I could do was change a tire. Now I'm doing most of my own upgrades, wiring, repairs, etc. Give it some time, run some races, but don't bet money, you'll regret it, and if you know you're going to race someone, research their type of car, that way you know what you're up against.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.