spark plugs and info - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
spark plugs and info

hey there, you know me as the retard poster who doesnt search

but i searched and didnt find much, so eat my biscuit if you have a problem

Basically, I dont know jack shit about sparkplugs. I dont know what are good ones, i dont know what i have, i dont really know what they do, and i dont know where they are located, or how to change them. can anyone help me with those difficulties i am having? also, do they actually increase performance or is it just hype...

any info is appreciated, thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Elder

OEM's are NGK - check www.eeuroparts.com for your needs - and location. Buy a SERVICE MANUAL - all the information is in that too
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
well this should be a fairly good start http://www.saabworks.com/projects/sparkers.html

talks about the c900, but also goes over some spark plug basics IIRC.

but basically, spark plugs arent going to affect your HP a noticeable amount unless yours are worn out.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #4

well as far as i know my plugs havent eveer been changed.. but then again i dont really know wut happened to my car b4 i drove it... how could i check to see if they are worn?

and those damn haynes manuals are 35 bucks and id much rather save my money to buy other stuff and just ask questions here...

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Old 05-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

If you wan't to work on your car and not be totally dependant on the other forum people, spend the 35$ on the book. Most of the people on the forum probaly have it, its a good investment.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
Or when you order from Eeuroparts get a section of the factory service manual too... Picked up my basic B234 manual for like 30$ with my last order... it was worth the money. That way you eventually end up with the whole thing..
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
On a spark plug note though, I picked up some Bosch Supers today at my parts store (now before you tell me about how I should have gotten some NGK nice ones you should know that the store was out of them and I just needed to get some sort of plug) Hopefully they will work out OK until I get some of the NGK iridium plugs... What are the thoughts on bosch plugs...?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to ng900
As I've mentioned elsewhere, Denso Iridium are the best, get them from Sparkplugs.com, and if you can locate them, the Denso Iridium wires, they're harder to find. I'm running Bosch Platinum+ 4 plugs, they work great. Bosch Platinum+ are among the best (although I hear if you have a Saab turbo model there are some problems with platinum in general, I have an N/A, so no worries )

ng900 on cardomain.com
exdrivers = team on cardomain.com
1995 ng900s 2.3 N/A w/ mods
Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 PM   #9

aite, im still pretty lsot iguess, can anyone point out to me where the sparkplugs are and/or how to get to them/replace them? also i want to replace them with sum NGK's i guess, but does it really matter what i get? im not trying to change all this ECU stuff or anything

like, i really just dont know anything AT ALL about these things

thanks in advance for the help

Completed Mods:
Old 05-12-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

They're under the metal panel in the center of the ?block? (I forget what that part's called). The metal panel I'm referring to is the one painted gray in my car next to the intake (it was chrome until my friend tried to wash my engine compartment with some heavy duty cleaner, I recently repainted it.)

ng900 on cardomain.com
Old 05-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #11

yeai foudnt hat out today, but how do i take them out, is that what i use that gold colored flute type thingy in my trunk for? i wasnt sure whether iu should pull the tops of those things off.. or how to do it really

Completed Mods:
Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
Elder

You have to remove the spark plug wires from them first. Make sure you grasp them all the way at the bottom of the spark plug boot, or else you will break them. Then you have to get a torque wrench to unscrew them...

I have the haynes manual, and it's definately worth any amount of money. I think I paid $50 for mine awhile back before they started selling them in the U.S..

Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #13

ok, also, what do worn out plugs look like? bcuz im gonna race a lexus ex300 2moro, and im tryin to do all i can to beat him

is it necessary to use a torquy\e wrench or can i ratchet it... suppose i just keep in mind how titght they were and then tighten it abck to that? anything? beh

Completed Mods:
Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #14
Elder

Worn out plugs will have buildup on the tip, but you need to use a feeler to space out the proper gap needed on the plug. This is very important and can increase your performance with the proper gap...

Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
Worn out plugs will have buildup on the tip, but you need to use a feeler to space out the proper gap needed on the plug. This is very important and can increase your performance with the proper gap...
where can i get this "feeler" ? also, do i have to use a torque wrench or can i ratchet them in/out

Completed Mods:
Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 PM   #16
Elder

You have to use a long torque wrench to get down in there...Haven't you ever seen a spark plug...and use it with a socket, a long one...

You can get a feeler from just about any automotive stores...Just in the shape of a circle, where you take the end of the spark plug and rotate along the outer edge of the circle until it wont slide anymore stopping at the proper measurement...Not sure what yours requires...

Old 05-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
Haven't you ever seen aspark plug
no, actually i havent seen a spark plug, i told you my dad doesnt do any car stuff at all, and my freinds dont know too much either...

but anyway, thanks for the help... so i guess i cant change em?

Completed Mods:
Old 05-13-2005, 06:31 AM   #18
Elder

You can change them, just get the right tools...But you might just need to adjust them, not replace them...

Old 05-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Get Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs, you'll never have to check the gap cause of the way they're designed, and they work great.

ng900 on cardomain.com
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng900
Get Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs, you'll never have to check the gap cause of the way they're designed, and they work great.
im just making sure, if i were to get those they would be a simple install right? just take off that valve cover thing, pull the top hose off, unscrew the old spark plug using a ratchet, an extension thing and the spark plug nut , screw in the new spark plug, ratchet it tight, re attach the top hose thingy putt eh valve cover and im done right? if there is anything else i have to do, please let me know... and if its necessray that i torque it to a specific tightness than let me know to... thanks

Completed Mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in