exhaust questions - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
exhaust questions

alirighty then, first of all, at the risk of sounding retarded, i will ask yet another silly question thati have no way of knowing without asking

i hear all this speak of a downpipe and how it makes the performance a whole lot better... is this for turbo only or could i get one?

also what do you think i should do for exhaust, just get a muffler, or a muffler and some pipes, or just save up for a long time and get a whole catback system (im going for cost effective here not just the most obvious answer)

can you recommend to me some good mufflers or pipes or w/e it is i should get?

thanks for all help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
Elder

Downpipes are for Turbo cars. I would recommend a complete exhaust system in 2.5" diameter from the cat back...would be most beneficial for our N/As...As for a muffler, I went aftermarket universal. You can find them anywhere on ebay...And it sounds great...Not too ricey...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:19 PM   #3

once again not to sound retarded, but what would consist of the system from the cat back?

also, are the following good mufflers and would they fit?
1) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...970745350&rd=1

2) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...970614040&rd=1

keep in mind, i want it to sound nice (not too ricey)

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers

Old 04-27-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
Elder

That's a dual outlet muffler...You need one tube on one end and one tube on the other....A straight through design...Single output...And with that muffler you would need to purchase a tip...Try something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...971050018&rd=1

Any muffler will fit with the proper welding...You won't find something that will bolt onto the stock system...

And from the catalytic converter back, you would probably have to get it custom done....Stainless steel 2.5" system...There is an intermediate pipe in there, and a flex pipe....Just look under your car lol...

Old 04-27-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
if you decide not to go custom exhaust you can get lucky and pick up a viggen cat back system. with so many viggens getting modified exhausts it shouldnt be extremely difficult to find someone selling it on ebay. i have the viggen cat back exhaust on my n/a 900 and it sounds real good

Next: smoked tail lights possibly...
Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #6
TSLMember

i bought a nice Monza exhaust tp, do i need a new muffler to get a new sporty sound?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

yeah youd probably need a new muffler for a different sounding exhaust...generally tips are just accessories used to add to the look of your car

Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 05-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Elder

Most likely you will need an aftermarket muffler to get any sort of "sporty" tone from a Saab Just sticking a tip on the end of the stock muffler isn't going to affect the sound, just the looks...

Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
SAAB Road Master

your options are pretty much anything thats no bigger than 2.5"...

rcm has an afternarket muffler on his stock exhaust system but i believe he plans on upgrading the piping

i have installed the viggen exhaust which is either 2.25 or 2.5" piping and i am very hapy with it, i just need to have the tip relocated

also, you can purchase saab sport exhaust which is 2.5" with no resonator and ive heard it sounds real good.

good luck with ur exhaust and let us know if you plan on doing any upgrades to you NA

Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
TSLMember

i plan on lots of upgrades...as soon as i can afford it
Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
TSLMember

would this give me the sound im looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33636
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
TSLMember

What about this one? Thinking about it for mine...
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...oducts_id=1549
Old 05-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #13

that exahust is sweet! and only like $375ish for the full catback system... i think

Completed Mods:
Old 05-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

ebay...search saab exhaust....saab sport for 320 plus shipping on buy it now

Old 05-11-2005, 10:19 PM   #15
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
Keep in mind I don't know if this is true on 9-3s, but on my 9000 turbo my stock exhaust from the cat back is 2.5 inch. Maybe you can take the exhaust off of a turbo 9-3 for your cars and get 2.5 inch cheaper?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:44 AM   #16
TSLMember

What about a sports CAT. Anyone know how good the CAT is on a 97 2.0?
I know some cars are really bad and some quite good. Can gain a bit of HK with a good CAT Ive heard.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #17
Avid TSL User

The Saab Sport exhaust looks primising, anyone have any experience with it?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:06 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Logan Leslie
Sport/performance cat's are very expensive.. you'd be better off just running without one anyway
Old 05-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

Well what is included in the 330 dollar saab sport exhaust? Th descriptions could be ALOT better.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

its 2.5" piping from the cat back, no resonator, and a single muffler which fits into the exhaust hangers as stock would. there is no tip on it and im not sure as to whether or not they provide new clamps. ive heard nothing but good reviews with this product.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in