How to Increase HP in your N/A - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Elder

How to Increase HP in your N/A

I have talked with Jak Stoll from www.jakstollperformance.com and he has helped me put a to-do list together for ways to improve HP on an N/A Saab engine:

-2.5inch Exhaust System
-Ported Throttle Body
-Bigger Valves and Head Porting
-Shave the Heads, or for insane HP go with custom pistons
-Camshafts and Camgears
-ECU Remapping (according to Jak he can: run an emulator on your car & re tune all the ignition & fuel maps to optimize what you have there. He would be able to squeaze every last pony out of it possible)
-Timing Adavance is modified in the remapping

So for a good amount of money you CAN increase your HP on your N/A Saab. I am not done talking with him, so I will keep you posted...

Feel free to add anything to the list guys...

And thanks to DC_SAAB for giving me some ideas that I confirmed with Jak here https://www.saablink.net/TSL/saabforu...ic.php?p=37290

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

how to increase the hp on an n/a:

put a turbo on it, lol

i've serriously been looking around and thinking about trading my n/a in for a turbo

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Elder

What a trader...Go to the darkside, see if we care But I'm sticking with an N/A. Porting out the throttle body in the next couple of weeks...

Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
are you bringing it someplace to have it done?

Next: smoked tail lights possibly...
Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 04-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Elder

For what? The throttle body I am going to get a used one from a junkyard (or buy one from the dealership new it's only $62) and mail it to Group 9 Performance, I spoke with James and he is going to port it out. And also replace the butterfly that's in there, the little flap that opens up, because when you bore it out of course the old one won't fit...

Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to iwantaviggen
how much is he doing that for?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Administrator
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boxerchip
LMFAO JUST GET A TURBO you fool you damn fool its a tiny ass saab n/a engine... you just need a turbo, or a vtec LMFAO
2000 9-3-Sold
1992 900S- Sold
Old 04-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to JStoops
i have faith rob. I beilive in the little N/A that could. I'm keeping the one i trashed for parts i recently took all the doors off of it and drove it to the beach bent frame and all. I think i'm gunna make it a dune buggy
Old 04-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
Elder

Not sure how much yet, or it is even possible, normally they do Turbo throttle bodies, but I am sure there isn't much difference...Their web site quotes $295 plus $100 core charge for the big bore throttle bodies, so I'd assume that's what I'd be paying since I am sure there's no difference between the N/A throttle body and the turbo ones, although they do earlier than 1994 so i dunno...

Old 04-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
for the 2.5" exhaust, what are you looking at? are you going to have a custom one, or is there good systems out there, i havent really found much but i am looking for a new exhaust system

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
Elder

You can purchase the exhaust system from a turbo Saab, they are standard 2.5" I believe. I am getting a custom one done though...

Old 04-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

shorten the stroke and raise the rpm limit it will let your rpms rise quicker and raising the limit will give you a longer power band. also check out Ricthes putt putt 2 in the c900 N/a preformance section of this site. if i rememver correctly he put out about 250whp
Old 04-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthegolfer
for the 2.5" exhaust, what are you looking at? are you going to have a custom one, or is there good systems out there, i havent really found much but i am looking for a new exhaust system
I've got a 2.5 SAAB performance exhaust muffler with tip if you need one...its only about 6 months old sitting in my garage...., I'll check, but I think its flanged also.

pm for details..
Old 04-24-2005, 07:15 PM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbokick
shorten the stroke and raise the rpm limit it will let your rpms rise quicker and raising the limit will give you a longer power band. also check out Ricthes putt putt 2 in the c900 N/a preformance section of this site. if i rememver correctly he put out about 250whp

How might I raise the RPM? This is not a c900, but I'm sure there are some similarities...We are talking about NG900s...

Old 04-24-2005, 07:47 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to DC_SAAB
would think that it would take some computer tuning to raise that rpm level..., but not sure if n/a have an rpm governer like the turbo types. You might raise your rpm level faster, but getting there quicker by destroking will start to mess with your low-end torque... because:
more stroke = more torque = quicker off the line (your compressing more volume for more power on the power stroke)

less stroke, or destroking = higher rpm (if unleashed), for more hp at top end = ????

If you destroke, you may have to increase bore to raise your compression to get back your low end power. This is pretty tricky stuff to play with... but sounds like fun.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #16
Elder

I see, and I need to be quicker off the line

Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

hey rob just to let you know, im nearly psitive that turbos do not have 2.5" cat back piping. i think that the turbos have the same as the n/a exhaust, which is 2.0" (i think). i think the viggen cat back i have on my car is only 2.25" so i highly doubt that 9-3 turbo or 900t would use 2.5." if anyone knows the exact numbers please let us know. fill us in on any updates with n/a performance upgrading!!

Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 04-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #18
Elder

Well then, I was talking about a complete system. I know Group 9 Performance has a turbo exhaust system 2.5" that will fit our cars minus the downpipe...

Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #19
SAAB Road Master

oh yeah, sorry...our exhausts are interchangable with turbos from the catback....saab sport exhaust is 2.5" and it fits perfectly

Old 05-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

Any new things from Stoll RCM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in