Tutorial: Removing Mesh from Air Sensor - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Elder

Tutorial: Removing Mesh from Air Sensor

Ok so I decided to remove the mesh inside the air intake sensor. I believe it does slow down air to a point, and every little bit counts. So I first used a pair of pliers to rip it apart, and then I realized that I could of just slipped the mesh right off! It's only held on by two clips sort of. See pics below. So you don't have to destroy it like I did, you can keep it in case for some reason you want to slide it back on. You will see what I mean by the photos below.

Before

After

Slots inside to quickly remove the mesh

Finally the remains

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The mesh is there for a reason and removing it is going to give you more potential problems than any possible benefit. Your MAF could have a hard time providing an accurate reading w/o it especially if you have an open intake.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
well the C-900 people remove theirs a lot. you see, bosch put it there to smooth out the airflow over the hot wire. I don't even know if the GM 900 uses the same type of sensor, this mod may just end up doing bad things, doing nothing at all, or increasing HP by .02... never know!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
Elder

You guys ALWAYS over-react...Let me tell you, if it was there for a reason other than protecting the sensor from debris, it would say right on it, DO NOT REMOVE

Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
HNNLIC
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to Blaque Send a message via AIM to Blaque Send a message via MSN to Blaque Send a message via Yahoo to Blaque
Seriously though.. do you really think its blocking airflow that much? Its just a screen Rob.

“Brothers and sisters… and friends…and I see some enemies. In fact, I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we had an audience this large, and didn’t realize that there were.. some enemies present.” –Malcolm X

Old 04-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #6

Like DeLorean said, its there to smooth out air flow so the sensor can provide an accurate reading. It has nothing to do with blocking debris. That is the job of the air filter.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to ricot83 Send a message via MSN to ricot83
ya dude i would def not take that off... your sensor will go bad sooner without that on there that sensor is not going to read correctly
Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #8
Elder

well--

he sure isn't puting it back in!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #9

LOL
Old 04-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Elder

Took it for a test drive...Check Engine Light went on, engine just shut off...Not sure what to do...Ha just kidding...Test drive was fine...All systems go...If I run into any issues, I will be sure to let you guys know...

Old 04-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
well actually the reason the c900's have that mesh is for when fools take out the AMM and just throw it to the side, basically to keep large chunks of crap outta there. i remember that some company (cant remember who, doesnt really matter) actually measured the pressure drop because of teh mesh and iirc there was a difference without it.

but... thats on a c900, and that mesh is more like what you see on a screen door, lots more mesh than what you have there. the real flow problem that your AMM has is that giant metering piece thats right in the middle of the airstream, but in reality even if you had a way to get rid of that (you cant, don't try ) you still probably wouldnt make any extra power.

airflow isnt your problem right now, its lack of boost .

Paul

Old 04-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Elder

Who needs boost Atleast someone doesn't believe that thing was VERY important

Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #13
Elder

I didn't say it was very important, that was only 1 of 3 options
Old 04-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #14
Elder

Well wouldn't I know right away if there was a problem? I took it up and down the street without any issues. Although it did seem to be hesitating when I floored it, but it's usually like that when the engine isn't warmed up...

Old 04-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
Elder

yeah - it's turbo time pal Stop farting around and let's get a 2.0T drop in for that beast of yours
for your repair needs
Old 04-09-2005, 06:17 AM   #16
Elder

I told you guys, I want to stick with an N/A. Not a lot of people do that I have plans to reach 225. That's all I want to be, match up with a viggen

Old 04-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
rob, if you dont mind me asking, how do you plan on reaching 225. that is a shit load of hp out of our cars

Next: smoked tail lights possibly...
Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 04-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
Elder

I know I know. Well I've been talking with a few mechanics and saab power hungry individuals, and it seems like I can get to that number with some MAJOR cash. An egnine rebuild would be necessary, lighter cams, raise compression, looking into getting a stage 1 water injection system, better air flow, better exhaust flow, timing advance, and other things. Just trying to learn right now what will be the best to get to this goal of 225. And people can argue that it's not possible, but I believe anything is possible if you put your mind to it....So I can't spit out all the exact details now because I am not sure of them, learning as I go...

Old 04-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmdesign
Just trying to learn right now what will be the best to get to this goal of 225. And people can argue that it's not possible
I mean you could pull it, maybe... the main problem is going to be the fact that just about any turbo model 900 would STILL be faster just because it has the torque at all RPM ranges while the n/a won't

Basically it would be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to buy and mod a 900-SE than it would be to get an na/automatic car up to 225 HP. I mean it's the slowest car since the 1988 900-base / automatic
Old 04-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
Elder

Yes but the N/A already comes with many parts on it that are built for power, the intake manifold, cams and many others, it's got parts already that are key for tuning...I just don't want to work with a turbo, period...I want to see what I can do with an N/A Saab. Since the fastest N/A Saab I knew had an estimated 227HP or so, meatball, who just recently totalled his car...I don't know of any others out there that are tuning an N/A Saab, so it will be a fun project....Nothing that I would get done this summer, but it's a project...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in