supercharger? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

supercharger?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ng900

I saw this while running though cardomain.com
Apperently he put a supercharger on his 900s

Quote:
Although delayed in its creation, it is now here. You heard it here first: Supercharged Saab 900s. My car is now equiped with an electrical centrifugal supercharger. Pictures coming soon
Forgive my stupidity. What the hell is a electrical centrifugal supercharger?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 9-5 Aero 5pd Stg 3 Wagon
1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Elder

Re: supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidas_007

Forgive my stupidity. What the hell is a electrical centrifugal supercharger?
A Leaf Blower - gas powered ones have more power tho - he has a cheap model installed I guess
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 PM   #3

Basicly blows/pushes air into engine? would be why the higher RPM. to correct fuel air mix, yes? Does'nt seem to be a real beifit there just burns more gas.

1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I think the funniest part is the mazda owner who posted a comment about the guy copying him and how bad "SLaabs" are. You click on this mazda kids car sire and his "bragging" rights are 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, 160 hp, and a 17 sec 1/4 mile .

Drive It Like You Stole it!!!!

"Girls only like guys with skills...nunchuku skills, computer hacking skills, Saab driving skills..."
Old 04-05-2005, 05:29 AM   #5
Elder

My question is, he has a stainless steel bend on that intake system right before the air sensor, now it has a black tubing running into it. What the hell is that! I have the same car, and there is no hoses that connect to the air intake, I think he did that just for looks!

Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #6

I dont know what the hoses are for, but it does look to be a smoother intake, that combined with the intake from GenuineSaab would propably work great.
But the heat shield is for crap, it just funnels hot air in

1990 900 Convertible
2007 Cbr600

Old 04-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
Elder

Well that's exactly what I am doing somewhat, making a stainless bend after the MAF sensor like he did. But I won't have those useless hoses coming from it. I have the taliaferro intake also, and it's amazing. So this is my summer project. More details in the N/A performance section...

Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Send a message via ICQ to 9-3 Mike Send a message via MSN to 9-3 Mike
this has to be put in place the wrong way? Wonder if he knows how much Air that little thing has to push to help at all around 4500-5500 rpms.

NEW:

1/8mile = 8,807sec @ 87,1mph
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to citronxbeige
I wonder where he has the activator placed in the interior. Ive heard of people placing them somewhere accessible to press a button, or underneath the gas pedal. ive also seen someone place the button where the throttle thing is under the hood. i thought abut getting one of those for my n/a, but i think its a waste of money - they want like 150 bucks for those. any one know if these things even give any noticeable power difference?

Next: smoked tail lights possibly...
Done: Viggen Cat-back exhaust, Custom 3\" Stainless Intake, Taliaferro Direct Intake Tube, Viggen Antenna, Custom Heat Shield, 17\" TSW Rims, Intrax Lowering Springs, MP Rear Sway Bar, Elkparts Eyelids, Custom Grille, Smoked Side Signals, Clear Corners, Debadged, SAAB Chrome License Plate Frame, SAAB Decals, Carbon Fibre Dash
Old 04-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3 Mike
this has to be put in place the wrong way? Wonder if he knows how much Air that little thing has to push to help at all around 4500-5500 rpms.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I've never seen an electric centrifugal blower (for any application, not just ripping off N/A owners) that operated in that fashion.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:53 AM   #11
Elder

Wow that looks pretty neato! Where can I get one of those to try out the HP numbers?!

EDIT: Looks like I could get one for $100, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33741 Might be a neat project to try out...

I also think that setup is weird, because most of the ones on ebay are straight through designs...No bends or anything cause that would defeat the purpose of the swirling air....He needs the taliaferro intake on that thing to make it work also because once the air hits the stock air box it stops spinning, and fills up the box first before getting sucked into the engine...

Old 04-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #12

That unit is designed to compress air, not swirl it.

And don't bother trying it, they're worthless unless you've got an engine with really tiny displacement.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #13
Elder

"IT HAS A COMPUTER DESIGNED INNER STATIONARY BLADE WHICH AS THE AIR FLOWS OVER IT CREATES A SWIRLING EFFECT THUS INCREASING THE AIR FUEL MIXTURE AND CREATES A FAST BURN EFFECT IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER"

It does both, produces a swirling effect and compresses...

"THIS CHARGER IS POWERED BY A 24,000RPM MOTOR(18,000RPM UNDER LOAD) AND PRODUCES MORE CFM THAN MOST ANY OTHER BUT THATS NOT ALL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver found
That unit is designed to compress air, not swirl it.

And don't bother trying it, they're worthless unless you've got an engine with really tiny displacement.
And my question is, have you ever tried this or seen numbers for it? Where are you getting that it doesn't work unless you have "tiny" displacement?

Old 04-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #14

uh..oh...smells like scam!

"Computer designed stationary blade"...my ass. It's a friggin fan.

What this doesn't tell you is that a fan placed in the airstream when not under boost is going to be an obstruction. Period. That "swirling" crap has been debunked several times by consumer organizations. There's a couple of crappy devices on the market that are always running afoul of advertising laws.

Unless this fan is ALWAYS supplying positive pressure, and unless that pressure is instantly RPM variable, and unless you can tie in your fuel system to supply more fuel as needed, then this "centrifugal supercharger" is better used as the blow dryer it came from....

Ya just can't fake the turbo funk!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #15

I didn't read the ebay listing, sorry - I missed the bit about spinning air (which I'd argue has a debatable impact.)

Consider this - the only real, documented success with an electric supercharger is Thomas Knight. He's using three 5 kW motors, powered off of three car batteries in series (36 volts). It makes 8 psi of boost. This is on a modified Eaton supercharger - he gave up on centrifugal designs years ago, because he couldn't get them to produce any boost without stupidly large (30 hp!) motors.

Compare 15 kW of power consumption from three car batteries to what that thing likely drains.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders
then this "centrifugal supercharger" is better used as the blow dryer it came from....
Actually, most of the centrifugal units like this are bilge pumps from marine applications. Not even meant to move air. But they're cheap, so re-selling them on eBay for that purpose makes you money!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 AM   #17

So the business model goes something like this?

1: Obtain supply of low-cost bilge pumps.
2: Invent outlandish marketing
3: ?
4: Make money!

Old 04-06-2005, 11:45 AM   #18

Step three is "list them on eBay" - the classic key to making money with dubious intent!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #19
Trollerator
Elder

you will likely get more HP from a few extra viggen decals.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #20
Elder

Or by wearing your turbo shirt while driving

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in