Rebuilding/Smoothing Out Air Intake System on N/A - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

N/A Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's specific to NATURALLY ASPIRATED NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Elder

Rebuilding/Smoothing Out Air Intake System on N/A

Ok all you N/A guys I have some ideas to make the air flow perfectly in our cars. First. Starting at the throttle body, you must get the Taliferro Sport Intake System, or have something custom created. The stock air resonator that fits in that position is just terrible IMO. But I want to either get this chromed, or paint it silver because I now have a stainless steel piece below the air sensor.

Moving on from there, what I want to do is take that rubber piece that beds right after the black Taliaferro piece and replace it with a stainles steel bend. Since that piece has ridges in it that constrict proper air flow. Plus a stainless bend will flow smoother there.

Next what I want to do is remove the Mesh in the air sensor piece. All of you N/A owners that actually take apart the intake system will notice this. Just a useless layer of mesh to protect the sensor from bugs, etc...But they are not going to get in there anyway, plus it restricts air flow somewhat...I also want to take a piece of stainless steel and insert the sensor into that, rather than have that stock sensor....So basically I would have stainless steel from the throttle body all the way to the filter.

After the sensor, I have a 3" diameter stainless steel pipe, not pictured in outdated pictured below. Then if you look closely behind the headlight up there, there is a cutout that leads to behind the foglight. I want to get another stainless bend there to run a filter into that area. I plan on setting up a fan in front of the car, and seeing where the most possible air flows into...

Way outdated picture above lol.

After doing all this I think I might cover the whole system, throttle body to before the filter, with this stuff

COOL-AIR-TUBE HEAT SHIELD

Or something that does the same thing. To keep hot air out. Also, if anyone is designing a custom heat shield similiar to the attached picture, but for the N/A cars, let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
SAAB Road Master

check my cardomain sight, i have already made a custom headshield, took me more time to go out and buy the goods at home depot than to actually make it. I never got around to taking pics of the actual finished heatshield, but there is no more electrical tape covering the sharp corners but rather there is that door trim that people put on their doors to protect it if they hit another car opening it. www.cardomain.com/id/citronxbeige

actually ill just post a pic

i like your ideas, and ive been thinking about most of them myself as well. i have been tempted to cut out the mesh screen on numerous occasions but i dont feel like having to end up replacing that MAF sensor, because that little thing is pretty fuckin expensive.

i also have 3" stainless steel from the MAF down. If you go through with the SS pieces to replace that part, or the elbow, let me know. If the place you choose was able to make two I would repay you for sure. im looking into replacing my filter as well with an open top one so that i can hook up this ram air ive been working on. I have a 3" shop vac hose with the vacuum attachment and im going to hook that to the top of the filter with a silicon adapter and zip tie the vacuum head (which will be covered with a screen) to the opening behind the fog light.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by citronxbeige
i also have 3" stainless steel from the MAF down. If you go through with the SS pieces to replace that part, or the elbow, let me know. If the place you choose was able to make two I would repay you for sure. im looking into replacing my filter as well with an open top one so that i can hook up this ram air ive been working on. I have a 3" shop vac hose with the vacuum attachment and im going to hook that to the top of the filter with a silicon adapter and zip tie the vacuum head (which will be covered with a screen) to the opening behind the fog light.
There is a much easier way to do what you want with the ram air setup you are talking about. And I already purchased all the necessary parts. If you have a cone filter with a hole in the top there is an adapter from Auto Zone or Pep Boys (more expensive) that connects to a pipe that is completely flexible. Like this

That was what I was going to do. From the cone filter on the end of the stainless steel pipe, the adaptor connects to that piping. Here's the adaptor

Here's the type of filter I am talking about (not mine FUGLY color)

It slides tightly into the end of most cone filters that have the front hole. Then you run that black flexible tubing to right behind the fog light. only problem with mine is that my stainless steel pipe is too long and the filter is crammed up right behind the headlight, so I can't get down into the slit that runs into the foglight area....

You can also get a funnel type piece that connects to the end of the black connector behind the foglight. I was thinking of removing the foglights, and having this setup in place of the foglight hole...

As far as the heat shield goes, I still want to see the stainless steel pipe, and I just want to have a shield like in the attached picture...

Old 03-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
SAAB Road Master

ohhhh, ok. thanks. if you have a dremel just throw on a fiberglass disk and cut an inch or so off the stainless tubing, should provide enough space to set up that ram air.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Elder

I don't plan on using that setup though. I plan on getting a stainless steel bend from the current pipe and bending it to that slot and putting the intake filter itself right behind the foglight, rather than use that flexible hosing...Put one of these down there

Old 03-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

nice nice. i do have a question for you though. the heatshield i have going for me is very functional. im sure that the other single plate works fine as well, but by closing it off i feel like it is forcing the filter to suck air from the whole behind the headlight. do you want the type of heatshield that shows the SS tube purely for looks?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Elder

I want a heatshield that does its job, but still you can see my system. I won't need a heatshield with my new idea to run that filter above behind the foglight, since it will be sucking cold air right behind the foglight...I might get that wrap stuff I posted a picture above on the stainless tube anyway so as the air flows up the tube, it won't get heated up...

Old 04-08-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
SAAB Road Master

hey guys, check this out. it looks like it would be perfect to drop into the fender...what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634
Old 04-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Elder

That's cheap I might try that out since I want to run a filter right behind the foglight just like that bend....It doesn't list the pipe diameter though...

EDIT: It says 3" filter so I assume it's a 3" diameter pipe.

Here's a picture on another auction

Old 04-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

ya, 3"..and cheap for sure. all that for around 20 bucks...perfect pipe and new filter, although it might not be a great filter
Old 05-09-2005, 02:13 PM   #11
Elder

Update: Having the stainless pieces made today, should be done by tomorrow or so....

Old 05-09-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
SAAB Road Master

does that include a new elbow from genuine saab intake to the MAF?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #13
Elder

Indeed it does!! To replace that crappy rubber piece with all those ridges that constricts airflow...And it also includes one that will extend the filter to behind the foglight...

Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

cant wait to see some pics...can we get some pricing just in case i decide to do this up the line i will know what is a reasonable quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Elder

Well, just stay tuned and you might be able to buy the complete kit at a packaged deal...

Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

Ok if you can do it in the next 2 weeks or so I'd be down at a reasonable price. PS what do you think this would include? Maybe Nick will let you make this package an option to buy off of GS.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to danthegolfer
im interested!

Completed Mods:
Dual XD-7500 head unit, GenuineSaab Sport Intake Pipe and 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Optima Redtop, 2 Rockford Fosgate P2 12\" Subs in Rockford sealed box, powered by a Rockford Punch 200aIV amp running off Rockford Fosgate 8 Gauge Wiring kit, 3 way Pioneer 6x9 rear speakers
Old 05-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
Elder

We'll see

Old 05-09-2005, 09:11 PM   #19
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

ya i'm in too! i really need to get some power

~justin

I –RIVE SWE–ISH
Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
SAAB Road Master

i just want the elbow lol...

how are you attaching, just with the normal rubber adapters?

well im pretty pumped so make sure to post some pics IMMEDIATELY

also rob, whats the deal with that gtech man, spend that money on it and not even put it to use yet??? come on man im curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in